Lightest external cup BB30 cups and bearings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Lightest external cup BB30 cups and bearings

I'm looking for a light external cup BB30 bottom bracket (BB30 axle, BSA threads). So far I understand Lightning, Extralite, Enduro and First componenst has cups. The bearings used are BB30 6806 type bearings. I want to pair light cups with light bearings at the most affordable price. All ceramic bearings might be too expensive. There are alot of different 6806 bearings on ebay.

So do anyone know the weight saving of a ceramic bearing over a SS BB30 bearing? Only weight info is 99g on the First BB with SS bearings.

EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    First Components-Bottom Brackets

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I used these. Pretty reasonable price and comparable weight. They weighed in at 96g on my scale and they have SS bearings.
    2012 The Hive External Bottom Bracket - 68/73 - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoturbo View Post
    I'm looking for a light external cup BB30 bottom bracket (BB30 axle, BSA threads). So far I understand Lightning, Extralite, Enduro and First componenst has cups. The bearings used are BB30 6806 type bearings. I want to pair light cups with light bearings at the most affordable price. All ceramic bearings might be too expensive. There are alot of different 6806 bearings on ebay.

So do anyone know the weight saving of a ceramic bearing over a SS BB30 bearing? Only weight info is 99g on the First BB with SS bearings.

EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING
    First Components-Bottom Brackets
    For the cheapest I don't think you'll beet the Hives, mine are 95 grams.For the lightest go with THM Clav. @ 68 grams ? Check starbike.com. Also much cheaper than the Real Worlds.

mtbr member
    The ceramic ones from THM aren't "compatible" with MTBs though, they say the bearings can't take heavy hits. The "normal" version isn't much heavier though and has longer threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Are crushed ceramic balls in a ceramic bearing a problem for MTB, anyone? Do the THM use 6806 bearings? If the cups are not especially light, one could go for the cheap First cups and replacement them with 6806 ceramic bearings with nylon ball holder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Extralite cups + hybrid ceramic bearings will be the lightest I think (apart from full ceramic). The cups use 6806 bearings.

Also: Rotor makes the bsa 30 BB. 97 gms for steel, 88 for ceramic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I received the Hive BB. It weighed 84g with bearing cover and no spacers (75g with ceramic bearings maybe). Nylon spacer were included and wave washers. Too bad it uses an interface which there is only a hand wrench tool available for, so a torque wrench can't be used.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Extralite cups are very light, I saved 18g over Lightning using the same bearings.

Enduro hybrid ceramic bearings weigh a few grams less each compared to steel but don't last. Boca stainless hybrid ceramic with yellow polyurethane severe conditions seals (proper full contact seals) weigh more than steel, but can handle the muck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ole: What is the complete weight of Extralite cups + Extralite bearings + if needed, extra seals or a cap to put between bearing and crankarms?

Also: 200NOK for 1 or 2 cups?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Found a tool for the Hive BB with socket: E.13 Socket-Style Bottom Bracket 12-point Install Tool 1-3/4" | eBay

Ole used the Lightning cups? But are these light to begin with? I will weigh the Hive cups when I change the bearings to ceramic hybrids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    S6806-2RS Bearing 30x42x7 Si3N4 Ceramic Stainless Steel Sealed ABEC-7 Ball Beari | eBay

I will try these bearings, Si3N4 and nylon cage for the balls, lighter.

Members who have read this thread: 0