Lightest 10 degree rise stem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Lightest 10 degree rise stem

what is the lightest 10 degree rise stem for a 31.8 bar and that can hold up for a 220 lbs xc racer? Oh and looking for it to be 110 mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just bumping this back up.

ups and downs
    At 220 pounds I would focus on strong and flex resistant otherwise you may get a light stem that flexes like a noodle. Buy a Thomson X4 in 110 x 10 degree and get an optimum stem for stiffness and durability with reasonable weight at 170gms for $80.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    extralite ??? try to search in their website , UL3 is 81 gr for 90 mm and for 110 just little more weight

but not remeber which diameter .... 25 or 31 ...sorry

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    At 220 pounds I would focus on strong and flex resistant otherwise you may get a light stem that flexes like a noodle. Buy a Thomson X4 in 110 x 10 degree and get an optimum stem for stiffness and durability with reasonable weight at 170gms for $80.
    170g might as well be a boat anchor for some of the stricter adherents to this board. Even your standard Race Face Deus XC weighs in under 140g and costs a bit less. I never had any stiffness issues w/ my old one. The OEM Scott Alum one on my bike runs in at 143g at 31.8 and 100mm and its fairly overbuilt and plenty stiff.
    Mountain: Scott Spark 20
    Road: GT GTR Rival

here today
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    what is the lightest 10 degree rise stem for a 31.8 bar and that can hold up for a 220 lbs xc racer? Oh and looking for it to be 110 mm.
    lose 100 grams on the stem or a kilo on the rider, hmmm?
    old fart cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmonkey
    lose 100 grams on the stem or a kilo on the rider, hmmm?
    Yeah I am working on that. I will be 205-210 by race time. But at 6'6" I don't think 220 is that bad. But I hear ya.

I went with the Easton EA90.

mtbr member
    I hate this whole cause your heavy stuff wont last crap.

Im 250lbs! Yeah it's heavy but im 6ft 4" and good luck finding any fat on me.

I use a FSA XC 115 stem with Ti bolts. Its 130grams and i can't feel any flex. Im actually planning on getting a Rotor S1 Stem at 105 grams next.

mtbr member
    ok, going to borrow this thread since the OP already got a stem.

whats a super light stem that i can run 26" or so inch bars with and be stiff on a SS(probally fixed soon.) cuz the syntace has a bar width limit,and i want a bit wider. hows the MAXM stem and bars?

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    ok, going to borrow this thread since the OP already got a stem.

whats a super light stem that i can run 26" or so inch bars with and be stiff on a SS(probally fixed soon.) cuz the syntace has a bar width limit,and i want a bit wider. hows the MAXM stem and bars?
    Superlight stems and wide bars don't work together.

The Syntace Superforce or Thomson would be your best bet.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Errr the Rotor S1 is light and doesnt have limits for bar width. How wide a bar are we talking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    Yeah I am working on that. I will be 205-210 by race time. But at 6'6" I don't think 220 is that bad. But I hear ya.

I went with the Easton EA90.
    Yeah, I am 6'2" weigh about 220lbs and really pretty trim (maybe I could loose another 10lbs). The fact is that my legs are freaking huge and I think that's where most of the weight is, sorry, I'm not going to be able loose leg muscle, especially not by biking

I ride a MG60 on one of my bikes and I really love it, it's not incredibly light, but it is a really great stem and sucks up the vibrations making it really easy to do extended rides. I highly recommend it. You can get them on Ebay for super cheap, I think I paid >$30

: Description
    THE DEFINITIVE CROSS-COUNTRY STEM. The MG60 XC stem dampens high-frequency vibrations that contribute to hand fatigue. At a mere 185 grams this stem delivers comfort and performance.

* Design Objective: Design a stem that takes advantage of magnesium’s light weight and inherent vibration damping properties.

* The Technical Challenge: Special care must be taken in machining magnesium. Also, great lengths must be taken to protect it from the elements.

* What should you look for? In a stem, stiffness, weight, fatigue and impact strength are paramount. The better you can achieve these goals, the higher the performance you get. The catch is, there are trade offs. When you reduce the weight, you lose stiffness and strength—and fatigue life goes out the window.

* Using custom-designed test machines, we measured the stiffness, strength and
    fatigue life of existing stems. We developed the first commercially available magnesium stem. We created a
    stem that is lighter, stronger and has greater fatigue strength and vibration
    damping.

* Rider Benefits

• Less weight means less work.

• Better vibration damping means more control and comfort.

• Increased strength means the stem will survive the hard knocks.

• Better fatigue life means the stem will last longer.

:: Specifications
    EST. Price : $140
    weight : 185.0g
    colors : Black
    materials : In order to get the lightest and strongest stem in the world, you have to use materials and engineering that no one else in the world can! MG60 and EM90 magnesium stems feature proprietary alloys, design, and manufacturing techniques. We developed the fir
    rise x length : 0 & 10° rise x 90, 100, 110, 120 (185g), 130mm"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Superlight stems and wide bars don't work together.

The Syntace Superforce or Thomson would be your best bet.

i know,thats why i was thinking about something like the maxm stem, cuz their stuff is always super stiff. any one seen/used these before? ive only used their iso-grid flat bar, probally the stiffest 118g bars ever.

bike weenie
    Back to the original poster - what about the Easton EA90? It's available in 10 degree, and weighs 125g or so.... I would think that this stem would be pretty durable.

I have a Rotor S1 on one bike, and it's ok, but in retrospect I wouldn't buy it knowing what I know now. The double threaded clamp bolts are a bit of a PITA and are very small torx that are difficult to torque properly without stripping IMO. Also needed to use some of that friction paste to keep the bars from turning. Does look cool - but was pretty damn expensive.

I tried an extralite, and was disappointed. I torqued it to spec, and still would have the stem turn on the steer tube over big logovers with turns where you had to really push the bars one way or another with an obstacle torquing the wheel the other direction. At the time I didn't have the friction paste. That might have helped, but still - didn't give me much confidence.

Uncle

Bump --- lookie, lookie: superlight!

Just noticed this is about to go. If hadn't just bought a Thomson, I might have jumped on this. Someone else will get to show it off I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotor-S1-Stem-11...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Easton

EA-90. This stem is very light and very stiff. I have two of these and love the combination of stiffness and light weight they offer, nice carbon friendly four bolt front clamp as well. The only drawback with this stem is I cannot find any Ti bolts that will fit it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mishap
    Even your standard Race Face Deus XC weighs in under 140g
    I just weighed my RF deus, 2008 and 110mm. It came to 150.0g which was a bit of a surprise to me considering their advertised 135g for 100mm (can post pic if anyone cares).

Anyway, I just picked up a 110mm ritchey WCS with Ti bolts, that could always be an option. (I'm around 205lbs - dehydrated )

Members who have read this thread: 0