Lighten Up Avid (X-post Brakes)- Mtbr.com
    Expert Pushing SSer

New question here. Lighten Up Avid (X-post Brakes)

wonder where I might be able to shave some weight in my Avid mechanicals brake system (levers too)? I have Avid SD1.9 levers. I was thinking about getting some Paul levers, and that might shave 200 g total (is that accurate?). Can aftermarket rotors be purchased, perhaps something in the titanium realm? Or should I just sell the brake system and get Hope minis? I do like the simplicity of the mechanicals. The weight savings of the Hopes is positive though. Opinions?

TIA
    Tuff Schist

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

If you keep the Avids..

Stan's Rotors will shave 100g between both rotors. At $100 a pop.

I wouldn't go with Ti rotors. I can't speak from personal experience, but EVERY account I've heard of them has been negative.

The Paul's levers will help lighten it up somewhere between 50-70g. Total weight loss would be maybe 170g tops.

There might be some additional tricks - Ti bolts, lighter cables and housing. The avids are pretty good, but not light.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    wonder where I might be able to shave some weight in my Avid mechanicals brake system (levers too)? I have Avid SD1.9 levers. I was thinking about getting some Paul levers, and that might shave 200 g total (is that accurate?). Can aftermarket rotors be purchased, perhaps something in the titanium realm? Or should I just sell the brake system and get Hope minis? I do like the simplicity of the mechanicals. The weight savings of the Hopes is positive though. Opinions?

TIA
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    If your really worried about saving weight, it would just be cheaper to get a hydro disc set.

Both Hope and Magura (formula too!) make nice light weight brakes.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

TIA

Paul levers. They rock, and will save weight. The lever feel with them is great, and they are far less prone to developing slop at the pivot. If they do, very simple to adjust it out.
    Check e-bay; these crop up fairly often there, and seem to go for about $30 less than new.

Ti caliper and CPS mount bolts. They can save a bit, if you want to spend the few bucks.

You won't get them as light as some hydro setups, but you can save a bit. No loss of function, especially if, like me, you really love the way the mechs feel and work.

3 bikes set up with all of the above, and I've yet to have a reason to swap to hydros. Love the feel and ease of setup and no hassle with the Avids.

*disclaimer* i am not a true weight weenie, just someone who wanted to shave a bit here and there.....
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

No longer 26

Idea! Sram 9.0 brake levers will save you some.

TIA
    I just recently put 9.0's on my Sugar and 7.0's on my Kula and work great with the mechs for xc riding. I also like the fact that they do not scratch up or pinch my carbon bars even tighted to where they just spin if I crash...like I did twice last Sunday at the WORS race in Sheboygan WI.
    Greg

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Ti caliper and CPS mount bolts. They can save a bit, if you want to spend the few bucks.
    First off, thanks for the comments. Where would one score the Ti calipers and CPS bolts? Approximate cost of this upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    *disclaimer* i am not a true weight weenie, just someone who wanted to shave a bit here and there.....
    I am in the same boat!
    Tuff Schist

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    First off, thanks for the comments. Where would one score the Ti calipers and CPS bolts? Approximate cost of this upgrade?

I am in the same boat!

my fav has been www.racebolts.com

they are m-6 metric, and i can't recal the length in mm. just pull the stock bolts out and measure for length. i think about 35-40mm, but not sure from memory.
    two CPS and two caliper mount bolts on both won't run too much, and it's surprising how much lighter thos bolts are in ti.

you could get crazy with ti rotor bolts as well; i've only used those half and half alternating with the stock steel though. never had any problems with any of the ti bolts. could even get alu or ti cable clamp bolts. others here have used alu for all the bolts, but i stick with ti, especially for the type of stuff i ride.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Just passing through....
    First off, thanks for the comments. Where would one score the Ti calipers and CPS bolts?
    Redmist seems to be the cheapest, and my experiences have been very good with them, as has everyone else that has posted about them from this forum. I've placed 6 orders from them now and been very happy with them each time.

www.titaniumfasteners.com
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

ballbuster

Second that...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    If your really worried about saving weight, it would just be cheaper to get a hydro disc set.

Both Hope and Magura (formula too!) make nice light weight brakes.
    It would not be cheaper, but swapping out for a set of Hope Mono Minis would knock 2/3 of a pound off without the added bonus step of alu/ti bolts.

I feel that the Hope brakes are way more solid and controlled than my Avids ever were. Way better modulation with the same amount of grab.

Members who have read this thread: 0