mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Light riser bar? China Carbon Handlebars?

Am I asking for a trip to the dentist buying some chinese carbon handlebars? Saw some for like $20 in the 150g range.. tempting to try, but if it's going to cost me a few teeth, maybe not.

Any known good riser handlebars that are light? Trying for like 50mm rise ~700mm wide

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There are some sold by BXT on eBay. They are light and very inexpensive. i think they are called the HB002. I have the flat bars from them and they are very nice and the risers are on their way. I also have the riser bars from Dengfu and they are a bit heavier (200g). I am going on my 4th year with these are they have been flawless. for reference i am 250lbs and ride rigid SS, so these bars take a beating.

The only time you are guaranteed a dental visit is the easton or race face branded bars selling for $25. the companies that have their own brand have from my experience been very solid options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One guy around here mentions that broken bars are most commonly due to over-tightening, which is an interesting point, probably some truth in it. I bought some risers from BXT, they look very nice, I've got them on an old Klein 26er at the moment, but I have to admit I don't have any rides on that bike yet, I have pushed down on the bars a bunch, and they seem fine. I've had good experiences with bxt frame, and two seatposts so I thought I'd try their bars. My impression is that bxt is doing a decent job with carbon.
    I'm suspicious of what seems to be a common belief that all 'generic' or off brand China carbon forks or bars are an accident waiting to happen, but I also don't want to be the test dummy. I did buy a 'bontrager' 27.2 seatpost for super cheap off ebay a few years ago, it was really light, like 180g or something. I used it for a while, but the single bolt clamp slipped during a race, and I can't have that so I changed it out for a 2 bolt clamp. I gave it to a friend, he was running it up pretty high and he snapped it off during a race, so I agree on avoiding brand name too-cheap carbon.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    wow I would think Bontrager (trek), Easton and Race Face would be more reliable than lesser known brands. Thanks for the tip on BXT. The bars I was looking at are from Tideace, which some people seem to be happy with their stuff on here.

Still a little wary of any handlebars with unknown quality control but I guess if the brand names aren't any more trustworthy then you're always just taking a chance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The 'brand name' issue is with the fakes coming out of China; a real Bont/Easton/RF will be great, but the counterfeit stuff is to be avoided. If you think you're getting real Easton for $14.99...

It's the axle
    I just bought one of these in flat bars. Some of these Chinese parts are really high quality. I sourced parts that look to be the same manufacturer as companies that brand them, like Enve or Thompson. I've been buying machine tool parts out of China, and it's very obvious that some are the exact same parts as from major companies who simply mark them up.
    We'll see.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    The 'brand name' issue is with the fakes coming out of China; a real Bont/Easton/RF will be great, but the counterfeit stuff is to be avoided. If you think you're getting real Easton for $14.99...
    ah ok that makes more sense.. but still make me wonder about the other bars that are $15...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bought a Race Face carbon flat bar from China for $20.00 shipped. It was advertised as a 760mm bar it measured 769mm. I have it on my China carbon 29er hardtail with no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The BXTs are $15 and they have been working great. I think a lot of it comes down to intended use. Can a bar be made perfectly safe for $15? yeah, it just may not be a bar that you want to run on a world cup DH course. the $15 bar will have 98% the strength and stiffness of a high end bar (sometime i honestly thing they are the same but for arguments sake). the last 2% is needed in areas that i will never go. just like XTR vs XT, is it better, yeah but i am not, nor will i ever be at a level that will need that difference.

As long as i am buying from a brand that is selling under their own name i don't worry about it. Tideace has a large enough following and reputation that they are not going to purposefully produce bad products.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have to evaluate the risk---so for me I only run aluminum bars----the weight saving and any damping is just not worth it to me as a failure can be a real issue--I get the allure to save some grams and the named bars are crazy costly but once you break a carbon bar riding and lay on the ground it makes one question the advantages---wheels for sure--frames fine but for me not bars. My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    I have to evaluate the risk---so for me I only run aluminum bars----the weight saving and any damping is just not worth it to me as a failure can be a real issue--I get the allure to save some grams and the named bars are crazy costly but once you break a carbon bar riding and lay on the ground it makes one question the advantages---wheels for sure--frames fine but for me not bars. My 2 cents

I've broken several aluminum bars, they are far from fail safe.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I agree one can break any bar-----just feel the odds favor the aluminum bar---especially when the ask is for a lite weight carbon bar----

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The only bars I've broken were aluminum, but that was a long time ago and bars were very skinny near the stem at that time. Those had fatigued and a small crack grew, right at the edge of the stem. I hit a very small water bar on a flat sandy section of an otherwise rough and fast dbl track descent (no injury), the right side just disappeared and I was down before I knew what happened. I'm no engineer, but carbon won't fatigue like aluminum does.
    I've got a really old set of Synchros alum bars on my trainer/shed bike with a lot of time on them, I feel like I need to replace them just because of their age.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    One guy around here mentions that broken bars are most commonly due to over-tightening, which is an interesting point, probably some truth in it. I bought some risers from BXT, they look very nice, I've got them on an old Klein 26er at the moment, but I have to admit I don't have any rides on that bike yet, I have pushed down on the bars a bunch, and they seem fine. I've had good experiences with bxt frame, and two seatposts so I thought I'd try their bars. My impression is that bxt is doing a decent job with carbon.
    I'm suspicious of what seems to be a common belief that all 'generic' or off brand China carbon forks or bars are an accident waiting to happen, but I also don't want to be the test dummy. I did buy a 'bontrager' 27.2 seatpost for super cheap off ebay a few years ago, it was really light, like 180g or something. I used it for a while, but the single bolt clamp slipped during a race, and I can't have that so I changed it out for a 2 bolt clamp. I gave it to a friend, he was running it up pretty high and he snapped it off during a race, so I agree on avoiding brand name too-cheap carbon.
    Yeah that was my opinion, and I'm still sticking with it.

Last year I sold more than a dozen of these handlebars on craigslist and I had four guys who all broke their bars almost right out of the gate. I took the time to meet up with them and do a replacement (which worked out with three of the guys, the other guy was pissed off) and I was able to check bolt tensions of brakes, grips, and shifters on two of these bars. On both of those bars the guys had tightened their brake levers with a long allen wrench and compressed the fibers. Long story short, I told these guys to tighten their stuff to the handlebars just enough that it wouldn't move and none of them ever had an issue as far as I am aware. This is true for ANY carbon bar.

I was also skeptical of chiner bars at first but have been riding them happily for a long time. I never broke one, and have had some nasty crashes, clipped trees, stabbed the bar into the ground, hit rocks, and ride aggressively.

I've settled on BXT bars for everything. The only brand I'm aware of that makes genuine junk is FCFB, I splintered a bar just banging it on the floor.

Compliance and shock absorption in a bar is also proportional to it's horizontal strength. Going with a really thick carbon bar reduces compliance, and it's heavier. I like light and compliant bars, so why pay more?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will roll the dice on cheap Chinese frames, rims, seatpost, etc... But not stems or handlebars. No personal experience with anything bad, just piece of mind.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Formerly of Kent
    I recently bought and received an integrated road handlebar from a well-reputed Chinese brand.

So far, so good. I installed it on my Chinese frame/fork and did a couple of dips on it, full dressed body weight. A little bit of flex and I could see the tire deforming (25mm road tire that expanded to 29mm on my wide road rims), but nothing other than that. That's far, far more than it will ever see during normal riding with my feet on the pedals.

I might be tempted to try what appears to be a Syncros Fraser IC SL lookalike next.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I decided to try my luck with an $18 "Toseek" branded riser bar. There were quite a few reviews on amazon of a similar looking bar with another random chinese brand with people saying it broke upon installation with a torque wrench, but no reviews for the Toseek one. So we'll see. I don't do any drops or jumps or anything but I'm still a little wary.

edit: the bar with reviews of cracking ones was actually a listing with a variety of different bars, so it's hard to say if this one is a risk based on those reviews
    Last edited by frantik!; 01-11-2019 at 01:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I might be tempted to try what appears to be a Syncros Fraser IC SL lookalike next.
    This one?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Airw...954472868.html

I've given that some consideration too, but in the end it's still 20g heavier than my current setup, and not adjustable.

Apparently Winow is the factory that makes these, and they can offer it for $35 per unit if you order five at a time. I lost my link or I'd share here.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    Am I asking for a trip to the dentist buying some chinese carbon handlebars? Saw some for like $20 in the 150g range.. tempting to try, but if it's going to cost me a few teeth, maybe not.

Any known good riser handlebars that are light? Trying for like 50mm rise ~700mm wide

happybuying88 Full Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Handlebar Bicycle Riser Handlebars Riser Bars 3K Matte MTB Handlebars Carbon Fiber

$31 on Amazon

142 grams, 700mm (they have options between 580 and 760mm)

So far so good, and I have a ton of 'clutter' as you guys call it, on the bars; they are holding up fine. So much clutter I had to get slightly smaller 5.5 inch grips, check out the picture lol.Light riser bar?  China Carbon Handlebars?-e-bike-handlebar.jpg
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Is dang happy!
    If the bars have a bunch of flex and are wide and light you are rolling the dice. My Asiacom bars disintegrated while testing them out in a parking lot. There may be some budget jems out there but those were not one of them.
    I have a FR01 chiner frame set up for gravel grinding and just built up a BXT for mellow XC trails but would not hit the gnar with them expecting good results. Read reviews and go with something that has many other guinea pigs sort out the good from the bad.
    (The bar that broke snapped at the bend and not near any clamp so it was not an installation error)
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

I have a Tideace riser bar on it's way for testing, will post results.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got my bar from ebay today (US seller of a chinese bar). The ad pics showed a bar branded with "Toseek" but the one i recieved is branded "Earrell". 130g for a 700mm riser. It doesn't feel too flexy in my hands, will try on the bike. I don't take any big hits or anything but I still don't want the bars breaking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    I got my bar from ebay today (US seller of a chinese bar). The ad pics showed a bar branded with "Toseek" but the one i recieved is branded "Earrell". 130g for a 700mm riser. It doesn't feel too flexy in my hands, will try on the bike. I don't take any big hits or anything but I still don't want the bars breaking
    Be careful. It doesn't matter if they aren't flexy, that says nothing about being brittle and easy to crack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Be careful. It doesn't matter if they aren't flexy, that says nothing about being brittle and easy to crack.
    are there any kind of tests I can do to safely test this?

I got it mounted and it didn't asplode, so that's good. I gingerly put almost all my weight on it and I lived. It feels pretty solid honestly. I'm going to be a little paranoid for a while though.

And holy moly the bar it replaced was a pig.. 377g for a handlebar! I knew it was heavy stock parts but wow. So it was nice to lose half a pound off the front end. Now the bike feels really back-heavy so I gotta find 250g to lose back there.. I haven't weighed the seatpost and saddle but I'm sure there's plenty to lose there too. Another china carbon adventure awaits!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I tested out the bar and it felt fine.. I don't do anything too crazy so I can't attest to how well it would handle big drops or anything but for regular riding it feels good. This is the bar I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-US-MTB-...s/112982521013

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm tempted on the BXT bars but everything I've ever bought from china for cheap has been complete garbage.

mtbr member
    My BXT straight bars should be here this week...we shall see..
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972