Light Rim Brakes - FRM or Vuelta- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Light Rim Brakes - FRM or Vuelta

For the next step of my light bike project I'm looking at getting new super-light rim brakes.

The FRM DP4 and the tuned Vuelta's look like the best choices. The FRM's LOOK outstanding.

But, WHERE DO YOU BUY THEM?

the www.Vuelta.com web site doesn't have any Mag brakes listed and www.NoTubes.com doesn't seem to carry the DP4's.

Where can I get these rare brakes?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    For the next step of my light bike project I'm looking at getting new super-light rim brakes.

The FRM DP4 and the tuned Vuelta's look like the best choices. The FRM's LOOK outstanding.

the www.Vuelta.com web site doesn't have any Mag brakes listed and www.NoTubes.com doesn't seem to carry the DP4's.

Thanks.

hi,

the Vuelta brakes aren't being produced anymore. Some guys are keeping some stocks of these. Anyway, it's not the best brake.
    You'd rather go for the FRM - see http://www.frmbike.com/ for details.
    They've got a lot of cool lightweight stuff.
    oldman

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    hi,

the Vuelta brakes aren't being produced anymore. Some guys are keeping some stocks of these. Anyway, it's not the best brake.
    oldman
    well - what is the "best" brake?
    the Vueltas are the lightest V-brakes on the market that are decent priced. the only lighter brake is the Steinbach at a silly 490 Euro price tag. and it's only 20g lighter because of road pads that can be retro-fitted also on the Vueltas.

the Vueltas have 8mm longer brakearms which make for more power. the Steinbach on the other hand are 10mm shorter than regular V's (XTR or Avid etc....19mm shorter arms than the Vueltas!). i had the Steinbach and they flex like mad. no way would i have faith in them going downhills!!! and 490 Euro = 600$ is definitely a rip-off for just a pair of brakes.

the only "weak" part of the Vueltas is the return-spring which isn't a big linear spring like most others have but a small coil spring. this makes the return spring a bit less powerful and therefore cables need to be in good conditions. if you have good and slick cables you get rewarded with the most powerful V-brake on the market.

the Vueltas weigh 270g with stock steel bolts that are really too long. just regular lenght bolts get them to 260g. with "my" tuningkit the Vueltas weigh 228g! try and beat that...

the FRM is for sure a beauty to look at. no contest. but the Titanium-version weighs 268g and costs a lot more. needle bearings aren't necessary and they don't offer more power.

pictured below the Stock Vueltas and 3 different tuning stages:

Vueltas standard: 270g
    Vueltas with Nino's V-Brake Tuningkit: 228g
    Vueltas with Nino's V-Brake Tuningkit and Jagwire carbon roadpads: 190g
    Vueltas with Nino's V-Brake Tuningkit and B-T-P pads: 172g
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    hi,

oldman
    I would disagree, based on cost. The Vueltas are as strong as my Avids SD's, but much lighter. I am very happy with the Vueltas. Like Nino said, the return spring is weaker than others, but they return just fine and this has never caused a problem for me. They are easy to set up and adjust. I have not tried the FRM's, but they look great as everyone has said. I am sure they are fine brakes based on FRMs other products.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i would go for the steinbach.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great information Nino and everyone else.

Nino, your Vuelta's are insanely light. Nice work!

Now, WHERE do I buy these Vuelta's and how much do they cost?

Thanks

mtbr member

Nino sell them

Thanks for the great information Nino and everyone else.

Nino, your Vuelta's are insanely light. Nice work!

Now, WHERE do I buy these Vuelta's and how much do they cost?

Thanks
    Nino sell them at good price especially the tuned version.
    luckynino@ggaweb.ch
    if he is out of stock, I still have an SL VUELTA set front and rear left.
    dc@greybicycle.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks.
    I have had to register again. Forum managers do not want to fix up the "problems" on my MaLóL account. Anyway...

I could talk a lot about vuelta brakes, but I´m tired to repeat everything again. I´ll just say go for the FRM. It´s very easy to pick a cheapo brakes and make them stupidly light. Just see pic below.

nino look at the spring, you can copy this stupid idea to make a lighter vuelta brakes. Sure you guess where it comes from.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i forgot to mention: the brakes in the pics are 20€ each one.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLaM
    I seem to remember that you were raving about the Vueltas for quite a while. Mine have been going strong for 2 years with no problems at all. Great V-brakes.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

midnight special

cheapo brakes

@ LoLaM: 20€?! Could you please give us a more detailed description
    of these super cheap and super light brakes?

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoLaM

More info please Malol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i don´t really know the brand name of those brakes. They must be one of those taiwanese components that you´ll find with several brand names on it depending on the country you buy them.. They are light cause they have a cantilever spring, like the vuelta mags. And the arms have the same length as the avids, so no need to have the pads so near to the rims like the vueltas. They are light cause they are simple and they have a canti spring. Any simple brake can be made very light, there are no miracles here. Of course you´ll compromise performance due to the tunning (like nino brakes). These ones have a ti spring made of a MarwinUSA ti spoke, dremeled pads, custom made bolts, etc.. etc...

If you want light and cheap v-brakes pike some alu vuelta (not the mags) or any other light and cheap brakes. Take your scale to your lbs and weight a few ones. They are still available and they come in some cheap city bikes.

midnight special

???

Thanks for the detailed information!

ballbuster

Is it me...

... or do the Vueltas look way too much like my cruddy OEM Tektro brakes that came on my $375 Giant Yukon? I found them in my parts bin the other day and was amazed at how little they weighed. I also remember they flexed like rubber. Then again, every v-brake I put on that bike sucked something awful, so it could have been my setup, or just the way V-Brakes are in general.

Not dissing the Vueltas, just saying...

Dang, I just had a thought. I oughta try them out again and see how bad they were. If they aren't too bad, I could be on to a killer budget-light part!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well, i've had both and both are sold. So, here's my opinion through experience. Both are OK but nothing spectacular. The Vueltas are finicky in that they tend to 'rock' back and forth on the canti studs with you having to manually recenter them by hand... often. Also, I would have to say that they're a bit more of a pain to adjust than most other V's. The little coil spring sucks too. The FRM's are pretty but they don't offer any more braking power than your average V. These too use the sorry coil spring. One thing that I found that really sucked is the clearance between the tire and the cable going over the top. If memory serves me correctly I believe there was barely enough room for two fingers. So, if you ever ride in bad conditions such as mud then this could pose a problem. Another turn off for me was the little bolt the cable connects to. It's tiny for one. Two, the screw that afixes the cable to the bolt is even tinier and once tightened it spreads or freys the cable badly. If you're just looking for light then you've picked the #2 and #3 lightest V's out there and both are better options than the Steinbachs. In my opinion I would stick to a V that uses the linear spring as opposed to the weak coil spring. But, if I had to choose between these two I would have to lean towards the Vueltas.

mtbr member
    maybe you should just go for some Avid Mags or some tuned Avid Ultimates?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Avids. The Mags are good but the Ultimates are GREAT... but heavy. The chances of getting the Ultimates below 300g are slim to none.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Avids. The Mags are good but the Ultimates are GREAT... but heavy. The chances of getting the Ultimates below 300g are slim to none.
    I'm the one you sold the Vuelta's, thanks for sharing your experience with them.
    I might just tune my previous SD Ti.

midnight special

Vuelta

I've raced Vueltas for one season (18 races) now and I've never had any
    problems with them. There was only one marathon where they didn't work
    but that was my fault because I was too lazy to change the worn-down pads
    and even disc brake users had quite a lot of complete failures there.

Who needs brakes anyway?

G

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been running the Vueltas for 2 years. First, I will say that they worked the best with the Vuelta brake levers I got with them. They didn't work as well with Avid Ultimate levers or Shimano XTR dual control levers. OK, with that out of the way, I'll say that when everything is fresh (cables, housing, pads) they are really good brakes, one finger all the way. They're far superior to the Arch-Supremes I used to run. The Vueltas are about on par with SD7's, only much lighter, especially with the tuning kit.

Illuminati
    Im using the avid mags with full ti bolts. they weigh 292g complete which is noticeably heavier than others. although I use them in totally flithy muddy conditions & they work fine other than fine grit gettin into the springs/ main body part (needs to be flushed out after the ride) I'd recommend them. In a blindfold test I wouldnt be able to tell the difference to the benchmark XTR.

Members who have read this thread: 0