Light Rear Derailleurs and light shifters?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Light Rear Derailleurs and light shifters?

At the moment i use XTR 970 shadow rear derailleurs on 179gr and XTR 970 shifters on 230gr.

that's 409gr together.

I want something lighter, what about X.0?

What is the real weight of X.0 Rear-D and X.0 shifters?

mtbr member
    My XO Rear derr with carbon pulleys is 177g a carbon outer cage brings that down to 170g

My Xo triggers are 220g

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thue
    At the moment i use XTR 970 shadow rear derailleurs on 179gr and XTR 970 shifters on 230gr.

that's 409gr together.

I want something lighter, what about X.0?

What is the real weight of X.0 Rear-D and X.0 shifters?
    older Sram Plasma shifters: 153g
    Dura Ace rear derailleur: stock 181g / with some Aluminium Bolts+lightweight Pulleys: 164g....add carbon Plates: 153g

yes - the DA also takes a 32 cassette!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not bad, Nino

What about XTR 972 shadow with carbon pulleys (-10gr)=169gr
    What can i save of changing the small bolt who attach the wire into alu?

Mabye i should change my XTR shifters into some light Sram Twister's?
    Something like Nino's Plasma....Can i find those in my LBS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For some months ago, I found a picture of a per of extreme light Sram twisters. I think the weight was 98gr or some thing like that. Do anybody know something about them?
    Last edited by thue; 12-01-2008 at 05:44 AM.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    You'll save roughly 2g changing the cable bolt over to aluminum I believe.

banned

grip-shifters....

For some months ago, I found a picture of a per of extreme light Sram twisters. I think the weight was 98gr or some thing like that. Do anybody know something about them?
    beware of those all plastic, old grip-shifters! action is all plastic.they change gears but the precision is all gone.i have some brandnew Sachs Quartz shifters sitting in a bix (120g the pair) but i would not want them on my bike.at this point you might go back to friction shifters and save even more weight.no good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

banned
    Plasma are from around 1998.you will be a lucky man if you can locate them in a shop.your best chances are on ebay.
    And remember, the Plasmas are for Shimano derailleurs.

mtbr member
    I've got an m970 xtr nobu tuned derailleur in at 161 g with carbon cages and jockey wheels as another option for you.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Plasma are from around 1998.you will be a lucky man if you can locate them in a shop.your best chances are on ebay.
    And remember, the Plasmas are for Shimano derailleurs.
    Hmm...is there a new modell of that plasma version?

banned

well...

Hmm...is there a new modell of that plasma version?
    that's the X.O but those are heavier and for SRAM derailleurs only.same performance though.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sram still have twist shifters for Shimano derailleurs. Sram Attack. About the same weight as X.0

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dura Ace rear derailleur: stock 181g / with some Aluminium Bolts+lightweight Pulleys: 164g....add carbon Plates: 153g

yes - the DA also takes a 32 cassette!
    So the new 7800 works with the 9spd stuff? I've got the 7700 on her bike right now, pretty good at 197g. (good enough for now, bigger dragons to slay on the bike before I go throwing money at it overhand)

You're saying that the DA will clear a 32t cog?? even though it's only rated to 27? I guess the jockey pulley must be sitting on the cog at that point. Will have to try, although I don't think the chain is long enough right now...

** edit - just swapped wheels, yep, the DA 7700 rear clears a 32t, no problem. Guess you learn something new every day...

Weight Weenie Addict!
    Jun 2008
    If you want to stick to XTR 972 shadow....you could put some carbon pulleys for a drop of 10-grams. For the shifters? I replaced both bolts with Schmolke Carbon bolts, but alloy is Ok for such small bolts...you are looking at another 6 grams. Besides that there's nothing else to do. Nobu (on eBay) once had some twister shifters that were modified (lighter), you may want to try him if these are Ok with you. He also have bits and pieces to make lightweight derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am surprised no one removed the barrel ajuster on their derailleur, by drilling a 5mm hole. Save arround 6gr.

mtbr member
    what about paul thumbies with SRAM aero TT carbon bar-end shifters with a RED rear der? will Sram road Der clear a 32t???

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    I am surprised no one removed the barrel ajuster on their derailleur, by drilling a 5mm hole. Save arround 6gr.
    Good point - should have a barrel adjuster on the shifter!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    It would bring nino D/A to arround 148gr

Hack Racer
    Paul Rear Derailleur. Circa 1995
    182 gram. The bling of the bling!

mtbr member

Indeed. I realized I never use that one to adjust, always just a click on the shifter.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    It would bring nino D/A to arround 148gr
    Wow, and here I thought I needed to get a SRAM Red. Man, I wonder how light one of THOSE could go??

I also wonder how low one can get the DA 7700. Bet if I looked at the roadie WW forums I could find out without too much trouble.

Damn you all, making me re-evaluate parts which I thought I was "done" with.

mtbr member

120g rear derailleur

If you want to go REAL light, check this out:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...r-5760..1.html

Don't think I can cough up $1200, though!
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    If you want to go REAL light, check this out:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...r-5760..1.html

Don't think I can cough up $1200, though!
    That's probably some of the worst grams saved per dollar spent ratio I have seen in a while.

On the other hand, it costs $10 per gram - gold is about $25 per gram. Not the blingiest bling.

banned

Sram Red...

Wow, and here I thought I needed to get a SRAM Red. Man, I wonder how light one of THOSE could go??

I also wonder how low one can get the DA 7700. Bet if I looked at the roadie WW forums I could find out without too much trouble.

Damn you all, making me re-evaluate parts which I thought I was "done" with.
    easiest way to get a workable derailleur without having to tune with "homemade" parts is for sure the RED derailleur.i replaced just the pulles with lighter ones from Extralite to get it down to 132g!

at the same time you could also go 10s with a lightweight 11-27 Ttanium cassette: 139g

all you would need is the right-side 10s flatbar shifter from SRAM or a old-school friction shifter with a Paul Adapter.

and don't forget to combine it with a Dura Ace front derailleur too!! those weigh just 78g including the 34,9mm clamp

and for the hardcore you could just use 27/42 chainrings up front. my rings for example weigh just 70g (that's for the pair of them!)
    Last edited by nino; 12-04-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    That's probably some of the worst grams saved per dollar spent ratio I have seen in a while.

On the other hand, it costs $10 per gram - gold is about $25 per gram. Not the blingiest bling.
    FYI: The Sram Twist Shifters, X7, X9 & XO all weigh the same at 195gm (Sram listing not actual) so save some $$ and get the X7 at half the price!

I agree cost per gram saved is crazy

The link no longer works but I assume one of these:
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieRider
    FYI: The Sram Twist Shifters, X7, X9 & XO all weigh the same at 195gm (Sram listing not actual) so save some $$ and get the X7 at half the price!
    Never liked twist shift, and I really like the latest XTR so far, with immediate and multiple release...

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    easiest way to get a workable derailleur without having to tune with "homemade" parts is for sure the RED derailleur.i replaced just the pulles with lighter ones from Extralite to get it down to 132g!

at the same time you could also go 10s with a lightweight 11-27 Ttanium cassette: 139g

all you would need is the right-side 10s flatbar shifter from SRAM or a old-school friction shifter with a Paul Adapter.

and don't forget to combine it with a Dura Ace front derailleur too!! those weigh just 78g including the 34,9mm clamp

and for the hardcore you could just use 27/42 chainrings up front. my rings for example weigh just 70g (that's for the pair of them!)
    Well the good thing is she's just running a 1x9 (32t with a 11-27 modified Ultegra cassette) so no need for the FD. As for the RD, I've already considered the SRAM RED flatbar setup, but the thing I wasn't sure about is the doubletap shifter. She's pretty particular about her bike, hates Grip shifts, and I'm not sure how she would like that whole one lever to shift thing. I haven't had a chance to use any Doubletap shifters -- on anything -- so can't hazzard a guess. Then there's the whole RED RD costing $300+ issue...

If the DuraAce 7800 rear mech works with the 9 speed mountain shifters and cassette, does the SRAM RED work with their 9spd shifters?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Never liked twist shift, and I really like the latest XTR so far, with immediate and multiple release...

+1 to that. They're awesome shifters. I'd have a difficult time giving them up. Maybe someone will brew up some magnesium or carbon mounts for the pods, or integrate pod mounts into superlight brake levers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What is the weight of stock shimano pulley ?

Members who have read this thread: 0