Light But Effective Adjustable Seatpost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Light But Effective Adjustable Seatpost

I am looking at getting an adjustable seat post for my mountain bike. I had a nasty crash and felt if I had gone the adjustable route, I would have lowered my seat and avoided the crash by having more control.

With that said, I have been looking at the Gravity Dropper seat posts, and leaning toward the Classic in a 300mm length, though it is the heaviest of the three they offer. I mostly like the remote cable option of the Classic, though I haven't been able to check it out locally.

I have a 27.2mm seat post, so the options are limited in what I can choose from. I have also looked at the KS Pure Racing i7, but haven't seen a US seller and it appears that to get the remote requires an additional $60 upgrade option.

Just wondering if any others on the forum have any experience with any of the posts (including ones I haven't mentioned). I will sacrifice a few grams of weight for reliability and ease of use. For the price of these posts, I want to make sure I buy the right thing the first time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ride rigid...slow down.....become a better rider.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sage advice, but not what I need. I don't ride beyond what I feel are my abilities. I like to take the steeps, though I am not a down-hill rider by any means. I am finding there are sections of my favorite trails that lowering my seat by about an inch gives me better control. But I can't leave the seat low because then my knees start screaming. So the adjustable seat is looking like a good option. I also have had instances where I am going down a steep and my stomach is almost on the seat so having the seat dropped to ease getting out behind the saddle would help.

After a bit more research, it looks like the Gravity Dropper is where it is at for me. Comes in a 300mm length which will save weight and many people have claimed significant reliability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Crank Brothers Joplin post has the lowest advertised weight. 505g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Check out the specialized command post...

monster member
    You can find a lot of discussion on all those types of posts in the All Mountain subforum.
    Have fun!