mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Light-Bicycle fake warranty (problem with carbon rims)

Remember these rims has only ONE YEAR warranty from moment they were send not build in wheels or sold by my company to other people (LB knew that I'm buying them for further resell) This is ridiculous. I'm into a small business when I sell custom made parts for customers, and how can I tell them now that there is no warranty or less than year when all other companies offer two years? I was thinking this company has so good quality, that there will be no problem with they rims, but I'm disappointed. I'm never buying anything from them, so should any who read this.

They were send to me after 18.12.2014 (received around end of year) wheels were made in middle of January 2015, sold to my customer 10/06/2015, so it has less than one year time and warranty claim was 27.05.2016.... And there you must count that rims had very few miles, as guy who rides them own few different wheelset and not ride during winter time.

My proposition to switch to Nextie rims. Same quality, 2 year warranty, had problem with rim after some time and they replaced both front and rear...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light-Bicycle fake warranty (problem with carbon rims)-wheel_1.jpg  

Light-Bicycle fake warranty (problem with carbon rims)-wheel_2.jpg  

Light-Bicycle fake warranty (problem with carbon rims)-wheel_3.jpg  

Light-Bicycle fake warranty (problem with carbon rims)-wheel_4.jpg  

Last edited by ayjay69; 06-03-2016 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, if you have a shop, the issue is yours, not theirs.
    There are other industries and much larger companies that offer just the same warranty terms.
    Thing is -> as long as the do what they say before you buy, you can't complain. If they don't warrant a claim because of odd reasons that's another story. But as long as they do it by the book, the only thing you can do is to deal with it.
    Mileage doesn't matter much either, not even with cars mostly, as soon as you're beyond a certain "age".
    Warranty shouldn't start with their shipping, but instead your reception. But that's about it.
    If you're a dealer you could also talk to them and get an offer for extended warranty. Something they offer for certain products.
    It's just a matter of price. If you want it, I'm sure you can make a deal. You won't get it on top for free though. That's not how markets work.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yep not seeing how this is their problem, you're the dealer.

Riders pay good money to a LBS to get top notch service and warranty support. They in turn pay their suppliers for their products that offer such. You just buy a direct product and resell it.

It's nice they let you warranty it even though you aren't using it but when you're paying 1/4 the price for an equivalent name brand product you should expect 1/4 the warranty period. Hey I use LB rims on my ride but I'm not selling them off again as a business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This topic is mostly for warning any people who wants business with them. I say think twice before buy from them - there is short time for warranty.

To add up they were told about that I want to sell rims later and they didn't say that warranty will begun after they ship the rims. Before I bought something I presented information about what I do and they didn't say that warranty policy will be same as for normal person.

mtbr member
    News Flash....wanrranty from direct chinese companies doesnt exist LOL
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfloyd View Post
    News Flash....wanrranty from direct chinese companies doesnt exist LOL
    Completely false. Many people have had positive warranty experiences with these companies, within the terms of the warranty.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ive found that these Chinese companies fear bad feedback on eBay so much that it constitutes a powerful pseudo warranty by itself!
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

mtbr member
    I noticed that when I asked for a refund on a silicone cover for my Garmin. It happened to get "lost" in the mail. They asked me to not give them a negative review. Something about eBay will shut them down of they get too many negative reviews.

mtbr member
    They did a great job replacing my broken wheel. Just cost me shipping.

Rent this space for $
    If you're buying at the retail level like any of the rest of us, you shouldn't be afforded any special treatment just because you are sitting on a built but unsold complete wheel. LB doesn't work like that. They work without dealers allowing them to deal direct with the end user and keep costs down for the end user. That's why we're using them. You need to find a manufacturer that you can set up a dealer status with so the warranty can start for the end user on the date of purchase from YOU. I think you will quickly find that will require minimum order points for you and many other conditions that will be placed on YOU to qualify as a dealer. As it stands now, you're just builder and an unnecessary cog in the wheel that's burning up and screwing the end user consumers out of whatever warranty they would have had had they just bought direct and dropped the hoops off at their wheel builder where they'd be done in a few days.

Not to be too crass, but if you're in business and not able to see an easy way around this issue than you might want to consider a different line of work. Why don't you have your client order the hoops and just deliver them to you to build and they can go on their merry way with almost a full year's warranty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    In fact that's not how warranty works in the wholesale/retail trade. The warranty starts when the item is sold to the consumer. The confusion here lies in the fact that ayjay is not the consumer. LB knew this, but ayjay should have clarified how LBs warranty would work in this respect.

ayjay and LB are both to blame: ayjay for not thinking of or clarifying the warranty coverage in advance and LB for not specifying (they are the experts here) that even after ayjay said he'd be reselling that there would still only be a 1 year coverage from date of shipping from LB to ayjay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is why middle men are being phased out. Why would/should someone buy from you when they can buy direct? Specially when you obviously aren't prepared to provide warranty. Why should Light Bicycle provide more warranty period to you when they sell to the customer direct?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So, what is in the stated warranty? 1 year from phurchase I bet. I agree with the sentiment that there is nothing wrong if they fall back on the written agreement.

So did you make a profit on these rims, or did you sell them at cost? Personally with this "direct to consumer" stuff that really doesn't have provisions for distributors and dealers, I'd forgo being the middleman. As you have now found out, you carry much of the risk. You either need to mark up the parts enough to cover things like this that will happen, or let the end customer buy the rims and you just take care of the labor. Then you can write an equally "sneaky" warranty that only covers labor, and only if it is from a defect in workmanship.

mtbr member
    So, nothing to say on the forums for nearly 4 years and then this? First up, WRONG firkin site, think you're looking for this place RoadBikeReview: cycling gear and road bike reviews, forums, and classifieds
    Second, as the others have said, you're dealing direct with a manufacturer paying what everyone else is paying, not as a dealer/re-seller, so don't expect anything different/special.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I put little faith in warranties these days. I've had bad experiences with both POC and Leatt who sends you the wrong item and ignores you afterwards. POC will only send you what they have in stock, it could be a totally different product, so their warranty is useless. Leatt was the same way. They didn't have any 3L bladders to replace a leaky one so they've sent me a 2L instead, even after they've said they would send a 3L. A 2L is completely useless for me. Having said that, I've had good customer service from both KS and Evil and Pedro. I would much rather go with price and plan on replacing it when it breaks.

mtbr member
    I had a positive warranty experience with Light Bicycle. I built up a set of their ultra light 20mm clinchers for a road bike project and bulged the brake tracks on a very long steep descent (3500ft in 9 miles).

LB offered to replace both the rims if I paid for shipping. I opted to pay a little extra and get some 30mm carbon 29er rims instead. I've been riding them hard for 3+ years now with no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Would anyone buy something, work on that and sell without any gain for himself later? Don't be ridiculous guys... I started this topic to let anyone be informed that there is an issue with this company and warranty isn't that good or there is none...

mtbr member
    I'm no LB fan, or any of the chinese cheapy, skip the, proper QC/CS etc companies, but you did not come to let everyone know that there's no warranty, you tried to disguise the fact that you're pissed because the company would not treat you special and give you basically an extended warranty because you are a "re-seller", when in fact you are buying no different quantity of rims to most, because they treated you as the original purchaser, and rightly so.
    If an honest re-seller wanted to do that and buy in the quantities that would make them so,they would have discussed and made special arrangements as such with the company they were dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by ayjay69 View Post
    Would anyone buy something, work on that and sell without any gain for himself later? Don't be ridiculous guys... I started this topic to let anyone be informed that there is an issue with this company and warranty isn't that good or there is none...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree, don't be ridiculous and post that warranty is fake and make up a bunch of reasons why you think it is true. The truth is you don't know if LB would have honored their warranty or not, because the warranty expired on your phurchase before you tried to make a claim. Calling people ridiculous for pointing out you have no rights to a special warranty, and for posting relevant stories indicating the warranty isn't fake as you claimed.

You now claim to be doing some public service by telling us how we should watch out, apparently for a company that doesn't agree that your rims bought in 2014 should still be covered under a 1 year warranty.

Your warranty is expired, and in writing many companies actually VOID the warranty unless you are the original phurchaser. While I don't see that language on the LB site, LB could care less what you did with your rims after phurchase. The warranty is over. That is my last post on this thread, flame me if you wish.

mtbr member
    Would anyone buy something, work on that and sell without any gain for himself later? Don't be ridiculous guys...
    Now read this again from their point of view.
    You want something from them without paying for it.
    Actually, you may even have asked for a rebate because you're a dealer. Who's ridiculous now?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Poc treated me well. I have their Poc trabec for almost 3 yrs. I crashed and broke the visor. Made a called to Poc explained to them what happened.,asking for a visor in florescent yellow. I had my credit card in hand ready to pay and the person said no charge we will send it out ASAP. Reviewed the visor in couple of days. I was beyond out of warranty.