Thread: Lauf fork

Specialized

Lauf fork

Should I install the Lauf fork on my bike ?!!! It will add an additional 431grams to the bike which will bring the bike to 5311 grams so it won't be below 5kg anymore but at least it will have suspension . I have actually sanded down the Lauf fork and took 70grams off so it weighs 921grams . The only downside to this is that you can see the small imperfections in the carbon that was obviously coated over before . At least I have removed all the stupid decals and writing that was all over the fork and also the white sections on the back of the fork .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lauf fork-dscn2280%5B1%5D.jpg  

Lauf fork-dscn2282%5B1%5D.jpg  

Lauf fork-dscn2283%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Seems like a lot of expense and effort to go to not to fit it!
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm interested to hear your impressions of it. IMHO, without proper damping the Lauf seems a bit pointless and more like something you'd see from the late 90s. Then again, I haven't ridden one, so I could be off base.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Perhaps the reviews are wrong. Run it!

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_OC View Post
    I'm interested to hear your impressions of it. IMHO, without proper damping the Lauf seems a bit pointless and more like something you'd see from the late 90s. Then again, I haven't ridden one, so I could be off base.
    Oh I have used it before I sanded it down but only briefly round my local park . It does work . the fork is incredibly stiff though so doesn't compress as much as you would expect . It rebounds just fine and is controlled over the bumps . According to the company as it compresses the blades get stiffer so it doesn't rebound harshly .

Over the rigid fork I would say it benefits the ride more . The rigid fork is still great to have and is over 400 grams lighter but when it comes to rough terrain you can't beat suspension .

Specialized
    I have installed the fork and as expected the bike has jumped from 4.8kg to 5.3kg . Not too bothered though as it now has disc brakes and suspension and weighs far less than a road bike .

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't understand why you would install it on a bike you won't ride anyway? If the purpose of the bike is to go as light as possible and not ride it, then putting on a heavier fork doesn't make any sense.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    I don't understand why you would install it on a bike you won't ride anyway? If the purpose of the bike is to go as light as possible and not ride it, then putting on a heavier fork doesn't make any sense.
    The purpose of the bike is to be more like a mountain bike rather than what looks like a cyclocross bike .

Specialized
    Actually I see your point now . I will put the rigid back on (after some extra mods) .

mtbr member
    This x100^

I'd utilize more cork.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't get it, do you really not ride this bike? I suppose you can't really ride a 4.8kg bike on any real trail very much anyways without something breaking. But I don't get it, you just have so much money laying around that you like to build light bikes just because you can?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I don't get it, do you really not ride this bike? I suppose you can't really ride a 4.8kg bike on any real trail very much anyways without something breaking. But I don't get it, you just have so much money laying around that you like to build light bikes just because you can?
    Pretty much . I stared reading up on fabricationb and basic machine work over 10 years ago and used to work on my old 125c scooter . Since then I have progressed more and more and I build components out of carbon fibre, titanium and alloy . I started using my skills in the bicycle trade and ever since have been building custom bikes . I have sold a few in the past but I have vowed not to sell anymore and build up a collection .I have other bikes I am working on like a 10.5kg electric MTB and 8kg trail bike . I am a weight weenie through and through but it does take patience, dedication......and money . I still have over 2000 worth of AX Lightness and Tune parts in a box ready for any future projects .

Remember this bike is fully rideable and I made sure of that before I drained the brakes and made it into a show bike . All you have to do is put new brake fluid in and she's ready to go but she is for light trails and no crazy rocky terrain .

mtbr member
    I have had a Lauf Carbonara on my fatbike for about a year, and it's on my Salsa Beargrease carbon now. While it's not the same fork you have (assume yours is the Trail Racer), I really like it for the riding that I do. Think of it as a rigid fork with some give, not a true suspension fork. I used to ride a Lefty with 140 mm of travel (decidedly NOT WW), and it was too much fork for me; I never even approached its limits. Then again, I am a 47 year old risk-averse male. What it is especially good at is absorbing the high-frequency low-amplitude trail chatter that makes your hands numb and long rides tiring. If you are going for big hits and big jumps, this is not the fork for you. However, considering the forum that we are in, I doubt anybody here with a true WW bike is going to be getting much air. My .02.

mtbr member
    On my TD bike, I was running a rigid carbon fork before I got a Lauf. While the Lauf added some weight, it takes away a lot of the jarring that I was feeling in my wrists when using the rigid fork.

IMHO, the Lauf is a niche product designed more for long endurance rides than aggressive single track.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org