mtbr member
    Jan 2017

The Last Wheels ill ever Buy (maybe).

Im going to get a set of 29er wheels built for xc racing, and unlike many other posts $ are only a smallish consideration. I do about 6 races a yr.

My thoughts are LB skyweight rims, 22mm ID.

Probably Berd spokes, 28 f & r. Id like to know if the "compliance" people experience takes away from the natural acceleration zing lightweight carbon wheels have, and other thoughts on them.

Stuck on hubs. Extralite hubs would be my choice but Im not big wrt maintenance skills. Most of my race, generally 100k, have numerous water crossings. So also thinking Carbon-ti or Tune hubs.

This is supposed to be the last of my effort at a WW build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If these were the "last" wheels I'd probably go with some hubs that are known for longevity and low maintenance (in your case) - also need them WW approved. DT240s should fit that need pretty well.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just had LB build up some 29er wheels for me. 3 rides so far and they are fantastic. I did not go skyweight. I went with the xc923, Competition Race spokes, 28h, DT240 with 54T upgrade. I love them and highly recommend so far. They perform way better than my Crests.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You might be able to find a NOS DT 180 hub, I did and the price was reasonable.

I wouldn't mess with the Berd spokes until more people have more time on them. If you are a tester and ok with it not meeting your expectations, I'd say go for it, but with your "my last wheelset" criteria that seems to be contrary. With anything of the sort, it might turn out to be really good, or it might not, but there's not enough people on them IMO to definitely/objectively get an answer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    you guys are spoiling my ideas of exotic wheels with good logic and common sence

Illuminati
    despite the driest summer in 40years my carbon ti front hub bearings started making screaching noises after 7months. replacement bearings were cheap to buy & easy to fit. I picked the seals out & put even more grease into the seal, also grease on the outer bearing covers (as there was none from the factory), so ongoing I think these replacement bearings should last even longer. aside from that, no strength or other issues with the carbon ti front hub. I've been using the the LB flyweight rim on the front for the same time duration, theres a lot of scuffs, but functionally its been sound. its pretty rocky around here, i'm not sure i'd want a flyweight on the rear unless I backed off a lot for every rock garden... but then thats not what the flyweight is marketed for. I use a stock 360g LB rim on the rear with no issues. i've been running DT240s rear for several years now. very long bearing life & totally reliable with minimal maintenance. hope that helps!

This place needs an enema
    Not super familiar with those rims.

Berds would be a no-brainer from where I sit.

If your fork and frame are pre-Boost, I'd look at DT 180 or 190 hubs. If Boost, I'd get 240s. Maybe not as crazy light as the others, but solid, dependable, easy to service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've had really good luck with my extralite hubs, thousands of miles, but I don't ride in the wet as I live in SoCal. But the maintenance is actually pretty easy and replacing bearings is easy too. That said, I agree, DT240 basically gets you a completely worry free, easiest to service hub that seems to fit your requirement just fine.

Why not get the newer LB 25mm flyweight recon pro instead of the older 22mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Berd spokes aren't available, very disappointed.
    Hubs are boost, Extralite (aprox 350gms a pair) it would seem aren't a good idea, Carbon-Ti (+65gms over Extralite) and DT240s (+110gms over Extralite). Taking weights from manufacturers, so not genuine WW measures.

Im running a 2.1 on rear so is there any point in going to a 25mm IW, Ive read AS rims are a step foward for wheel design, vs flywgt 22mm rim that saves ~70gms (assuming 360gm AS rear rim)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not sure where you get your weights from, but a set of 240s (straight pull, centerlock, boost, XD) will probably be under 350 grams. I've seen 350 sets under 400 grams.

Maromero
    Extralite HyperRear2, 6 bolt, non boost, 28h, 12-142, shimano body.

Edit: Front hub also included in the pic , 28 h, 9x100 thru-bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Last Wheels ill ever Buy (maybe).-extralite-hubs.jpg  

Last edited by doccoraje; 01-03-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by gedw View Post
    Berd spokes aren't available, very disappointed.
    Hubs are boost, Extralite (aprox 350gms a pair) it would seem aren't a good idea, Carbon-Ti (+65gms over Extralite) and DT240s (+110gms over Extralite). Taking weights from manufacturers, so not genuine WW measures.

Im running a 2.1 on rear so is there any point in going to a 25mm IW, Ive read AS rims are a step foward for wheel design, vs flywgt 22mm rim that saves ~70gms (assuming 360gm AS rear rim)
    Why are Berd spokes not available? They were selling them when last I checked, a month or so ago.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    How you should buy it?
    What are approximate prices?
    Could you share some info (if you have it), please?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Sukhov View Post
    How you should buy it?
    What are approximate prices?
    Could you share some info (if you have it), please?
    Berd Spokes | Contact

BERD Spokes | Store
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I intended to get LB to build the wheels and they cant get Berd spokes, Im thinking of getting them, LB, to send rims to Berd. Unfortunately this ramps up the shipping costs as Im in NZ.
    Appologies about hub weights, I have found it difficult to find true weights, but was working more on the assumption the estimated differences would be close. Think Ill go with DT240s.

Maromero
    You can get pretty accurate weights here: https://r2-bike.com/mtb-rear-wheel-h...Straightpull_1