Just got this today- Mtbr.com
    Arnborg strik

Just got this today

Wanting to go back to a flatbar for a while now,but needed it to be least 62cm wide.
    Then i saw that Syntace is Making a 62 cm Duraflite carbon bar with 9 degrees backsweep
    And it arrived today,and the weight is spot on.
    Claimed weight 122 gram - Real weight 122 gram

mtbr member
    Sweet. A light 31.8 bar in a good width and shape. Almost enough to make me swap from 25.4 :P.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

banned

hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Sweet. A light 31.8 bar in a good width and shape. Almost enough to make me swap from 25.4 :P.
    the weight is ok considering the OS diameter but Easton can match that with the EC 90 SL shown below. BUT 25,4 is still lighter....and 9 degree bend? who needs that anyway? that's the MAIN reason for me to stay clear of Syntace bars- they even do 12 degrees

that's ok if you have really,really wide bars. but such a bend will move your elbows inwards which is really an awkward position to have control on technical terrain. reminds me of bends of the late 70s and 80s found on Husqvarna motocross bikes and such a backsweep makes need for longer stems as well otherwise you're sitting more upright. anyway -that's for sure a personal thing but i can't ride a bike with such a setback handlebar position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hack Racer
    Those don't impress me much when you can get lighter and have it made out of aluminum enriched with scandium.

600mm long
    25.4 mm OD
    8 degree bend
    $60 USD

I think if you chop 20 mm off both ends the bar should be under 99grams

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    Those don't impress me much when you can get lighter and have it made out of aluminum enriched with scandium.

600mm long
    25.4 mm OD
    8 degree bend
    $60 USD

Yes, I think the KCNC is the best bar going right now. I would have that bar if I could have sourced it at the time I was in the market for one. I have the DuraFlite on two bikes and the EC90 on another. The EC90 is too fragile for me- can't run it with barends and the ends of the bar cave-in when you lay the bike down in a crash, in my experience. The Duraflite is a good bar but just a bit too much sweep for me. I agree with Nino that big sweep is stoopid- it effectively shortens your cockpit length and can kinda bugger things up if you have your numbers spot on and you like your layout the way it was with the 6degree bend.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Wow, great way to miss the point Nino. You may like super narrow bars, but not everyone does. For people who want that shape and width, the Syntace is a good bar at a good weight, and no bar you mentioned is even similar.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member

New question here. Where

Thomas, where did you pick the bar up at ? I checked the only place I know that sales Syntace and they don't list it.

banned

well...

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Wow, great way to miss the point Nino. You may like super narrow bars, but not everyone does. For people who want that shape and width, the Syntace is a good bar at a good weight, and no bar you mentioned is even similar.
    first of all it seems you didn't read my words above...."that's ok if you have really,really wide bars"....

and i think there is a reason 99% of all bar makers have 5 or 6 degree bends

you are right - i personally prefer narrower handlebars. but also without cutting them short i prefer 3 degrees which these days are also hard to find. but what has more effect is the position of your joints! with such huge backsweep the elbows get tilted inward. the angle of your hands gets moved inwards so does the lower arm which prohibits you from having your elbows up and out for the techincal sections when you are out of the saddle. just lift your arms in front of you and do change the normal angle of your hand to the outside as if it is with the more sweep.... that's why i mentioned old motocrossers as riding style from back then and today varies big time. these days riders have their bars and controls much straighter the elbows up and out to absorb and soack up impacts much better. in the beginnings of motocross they would sit more and riding position was completely different. you will have a hard time to find a motocross handlebar with the weird backsweep-shape of the good old days

and i'm sure most guys don't compensate for the 5-10mm or more upright postion you get with the backsweep. this actually shortens your cockpit lenght so you would need a longer stem to compensate. i can already tell when using a 6 degree bend handlebar let alone a 9 degree....same with rizer-bars as also rizers are wide, higher and some come with more backsweep. so it is no wonder several guys say "it so much more comfortable"...sure, it is more upright

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nino

and i think there is a reason 99% of all bar makers have 5 or 6 degree bends
    No, that is entirely false. Probably less than 50% are still using that. Pretty much just your uber-weight geek stuff and the cheap stuff is still using that bend. The encyclopedia of weight -weenie parts inside your head is hardly representative of "all bar makers"

Not to mention, it is entirely in Nino style to show a picture on a scale of something lighter and completely opposite of what the OP wanted. Remember Nino, many of us place value on other things than just weight, so just because there is a lighter product, does not mean it is better. The OP said he liked the bend, so what use was posting the Easton product? Just to one-up the poster with your lighter set?
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    Report back and tell us how the bar feels on the bike. I'm looking at these and the RaceFace. Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    No, that is entirely false. Probably less than 50% are still using that. Pretty much just your uber-weight geek stuff and the cheap stuff is still using that bend. The encyclopedia of weight -weenie parts inside your head is hardly representative of "all bar makers"

Not to mention, it is entirely in Nino style to show a picture on a scale of something lighter and completely opposite of what the OP wanted. Remember Nino, many of us place value on other things than just weight, so just because there is a lighter product, does not mean it is better. The OP said he liked the bend, so what use was posting the Easton product? Just to one-up the poster with your lighter set?
    when was the last time you posted useful info in this forum?

maybe post some manufacturers that have more than 6 degree bends in straight handlebars. if it is well over 50% then please show me some major brands - thanks!

Ritchey 5 degrees
    Race Face 3 or 5 degrees
    Easton 3 or 5 degrees
    Schmolke 6 degrees
    ???

a look at the 9 and 12 degree bends below shows just how much back the hands get positioned...an easy way to convert from a race-oriented bike into a beach cruiser. no comment.
    Last edited by nino; 03-07-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Arnborg strik

Bought it

Quote Originally Posted by 2times
    Thomas, where did you pick the bar up at ? I checked the only place I know that sales Syntace and they don't list it.
    On www.ebay.de from double dragon bikes

mtbr member
    Hi,

Good choice!

I was also making my decision between that and the KCNC.
    In the end I went with the KNCNC...bar ends compatible made my decision easier.

Mine arrived with 110 gr! This new cockpit weights about 280gr.....Letīs see if this weigth saving is safe enough.... I wondering if other users ha had problems

Cockpit
    KCNC SC Bone
    Titec Grips
    Syntace F99
    Barends ( similar to smica )

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    It's the BEST CF bar on the market today. Congrats. I am sticking with 25.4 Duraflite Carbon for now.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times
    Dealers are now getting them. Let me know if you want one.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

600mm long
    25.4 mm OD
    8 degree bend
    $60 USD

It's not as nice or cool as carbon.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

just ride
    when was the last time you posted useful info in this forum?

I only post useful info in useful forums.
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    On www.ebay.de from double dragon bikes
    Thanks for the reply !!!

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by barratana
    Hi,

Good choice!

I was also making my decision between that and the KCNC.
    In the end I went with the KNCNC...bar ends compatible made my decision easier.

Mine arrived with 110 gr! This new cockpit weights about 280gr.....Letīs see if this weigth saving is safe enough....
    That's not fair!

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    It's not as nice or cool as carbon.
    I do kinda agree with that. Especially for road bikes. But I found that the clear coat on carbon bars gets scratched up very easily for mountain bikes. My Syntace one look tatered and I have never crashed it... yet... knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Cheers, donīt be so hard on you! it must be from my scale... lol, Iīve also tuned her!!! LOL

Nevertheless, KCNC or Syntace are to me, the best option for the price in the market!

And untill 2 months ago if it wasnīt this forum, KCNC or syntace didnīt made part of my vocabulary....lol
    Last edited by barratana; 03-08-2008 at 03:33 PM.

CB2
    Jam Econo

600mm long
    25.4 mm OD
    8 degree bend
    $60 USD

I switched to a carbon bar for the vibration damping it offered, not the 50g-60g it saved.

just lift your arms in front of you and do change the normal angle of your hand to the outside as if it is with the more sweep.
    When I hold my hands out in front of me, my wrist have more of an angle to them that a 11 degree bar seems to accommodate better than the old school 3 degree bars I used to ride. I started using bars with more sweep when I started using wider bars for more leverage; the wider bars just happened to have more sweep, which I immediately noticed as an improvement for my wrists. YMMV.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    I switched to a carbon bar for the vibration damping it offered, not the 50g-60g it saved.

When I hold my hands out in front of me, my wrist have more of an angle to them that a 11 degree bar seems to accommodate better than the old school 3 degree bars I used to ride. I started using bars with more sweep when I started using wider bars for more leverage; the wider bars just happened to have more sweep, which I immediately noticed as an improvement for my wrists. YMMV.
    if vibration damping is an issue for you then you got the wrong diameter bar!

31,8 is much less forgiving (read comfortable) than 25,4 !

as i wrote above - the wider the bar the more the angle is ok . take a pen in each of your hands and get your arms out in riding width in front of you. this is the angle you have in a relaxed, seated position. mine definitely don't have 9 degrees...and now put the elbows up like you do when riding through technical terrain or going downhills...this results in far less angle again! 9 is pretty much and in the picture above it clearly shows that your riding position gets changed...resulting in a shorter lenght so you might have to get a longer stem to compensate for the 15-20mm shorter reach.
    again - this is sure personal preference but there is so much hype going on these days with people riding backsweep rizerbars...but if you do the simple steps above you would clearly see that this is not what your hands want to be positioned like especially if you are standing and attacking techincal terrain.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    if vibration damping is an issue for you then you got the wrong diameter bar!

31,8 is much less forgiving (read comfortable) than 25,4 !

as i wrote above - the wider the bar the more the angle is ok . take a pen in each of your hands and get your arms out in riding width in front of you. this is the angle you have in a relaxed, seated position. mine definitely don't have 9 degrees...and now put the elbows up like you do when riding through technical terrain or going downhills...this results in far less angle again! 9 is pretty much and in the picture above it clearly shows that your riding position gets changed...resulting in a shorter lenght so you might have to get a longer stem to compensate for the 15-20mm shorter reach.
    again - this is sure personal preference but there is so much hype going on these days with people riding backsweep rizerbars...but if you do the simple steps above you would clearly see that this is not what your hands want to be positioned like especially if you are standing and attacking techincal terrain.
    FWIW, my bars are 25.4; Salsa Pro-moto Carbon 11 degree flat bar. I had the same bar in aluminum, but when I built a stiffer front wheel, I needed to take the edge off a little.
    I totally agree that it is a personal preference, and ergonomics are not universal from one person to the next. When doing your pen test my wrist are at a greater angle. Yours may not be. Everyone is different.

Members who have read this thread: 0