ISIS bottom bracket: Is there one that lasts more than 6 months?- Mtbr.com
    hip boy

ISIS bottom bracket: Is there one that lasts more than 6 months?

The bearing on my FSA Pro Ti are shot.
    I think that this is the seventh ISIS bottom bracket I have had in 3 years or so.
    To their credit, the FSA bottom brackets are getting better. They used to have play right out of the box.
    Now they last 6 months before bearing death.

Anyway, I need a new bottom bracket while I send this one for warranty.
    Any idea?

MaxXx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow, 6 months?

That's longer than I've had any last by far. I rode my RaceFace Signature about 6 months, but the bearings were shot after 2 or 3. Every ISIS I've tried only goes about 2 or 3 months before the bearings are worn out or broken. I'm to the point where I'm just tired of replacing bearings even when that is possible (FRM, for example). When I have used up all my warranty replacements and extra bearing sets, I'm going to upgrade to square taper unless one of these other outboard bearing types proves itself more worthy (light, non-proprietary, reliable) by then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My first FSA BB lasted 1 12 hour ride.

My FSA bottom bracket lasted only one 12 hour event. I only rode about 4 hours of the 12 (4 man team) and by the last two laps I was feeling a huge drag. The BB almost locked up.

At first FSA give me a little crap about the warranty but after a second call the sorted it out. I am now riding the replacement and so far so good. Still feel fine.

I do take my chain off and rotate the crank by itself just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxXx
    The bearing on my FSA Pro Ti are shot.
    I think that this is the seventh ISIS bottom bracket I have had in 3 years or so.
    To their credit, the FSA bottom brackets are getting better. They used to have play right out of the box.
    Now they last 6 months before bearing death.

Anyway, I need a new bottom bracket while I send this one for warranty.
    Any idea?

MaxXx

I love Pisgah
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I snag'd a 140gm FRM alloy ISIS bb from DirtBoy last early summer. Installed it last May(or was it June?). Its been in both NRSs, being in my everyday do-all ride at the moment. Raced a few times, etc etc. JUST took the chain off and spun the cranks. Glassy smoooooth still. Turns 12-14 times with one spin, then even going back and forth a few times like a good non-dragging front wheel will as it finds its heaviest low point. I ride at least as much as most, so....works for me. Its been on countless N Ga epic type rides with countless creekcrossings FWIW. Heck, I still have my spare bearings I got with it, just-a waiting for they're turn.

Trying to find Flow

Hmmm, interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I snag'd a 140gm FRM alloy ISIS bb from DirtBoy last early summer. Installed it last May(or was it June?). Its been in both NRSs, being in my everyday do-all ride at the moment. Raced a few times, etc etc. JUST took the chain off and spun the cranks. Glassy smoooooth still. Turns 12-14 times with one spin, then even going back and forth a few times like a good non-dragging front wheel will as it finds its heaviest low point. I ride at least as much as most, so....works for me. Its been on countless N Ga epic type rides with countless creekcrossings FWIW. Heck, I still have my spare bearings I got with it, just-a waiting for they're turn.

Would you say it's pretty stiff as well?

I love Pisgah
    Yes indeedy. If anything, its that. Noticable if I ride the other NRS with its tpr sqr anytime before or after.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones b/c I've been riding my FSA Ti for 11 months now and no problems. The last two rides it seemed to be a little sloppy so maybe their hosed now, but 11 good months in the wet and muddy NW is pretty darn good. I can't order a new BB until next week sometime so hopefully it will hold out until then. That is, IF it's even hosed. Maybe I just need to do a little cleaning and maintenance.

The sad thing is that I requested square taper but the shop didn't have any in stock and gave me Isis at the same price. I fought with them for a couple of days on it and finally gave in.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Feb 2004
    After some bad experiences w/ Tru Vativ and Race Face ISIS BBs, I've had good luck w/ the American Classic ISIS BB. Light (150 g), stiff, AND the bearings have held up well for almost two years. I was skeptical because of my previous experiences (bearings going out way too soon), but the American Classic has been a pleasant suprise.

Craig T

Trying to find Flow

Hey, anyone replaced the steel bearings with ceramic?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig T
    After some bad experiences w/ Tru Vativ and Race Face ISIS BBs, I've had good luck w/ the American Classic ISIS BB. Light (150 g), stiff, AND the bearings have held up well for almost two years. I was skeptical because of my previous experiences (bearings going out way too soon), but the American Classic has been a pleasant suprise.

Craig T

From what I've read, ceramic hybrid bearings are supposed to be lighter, stronger, more corrosion resistant, and have less friction. I posed this question on General Discussion, but if the primary design flaw of ISIS is bearing failure due to the small size, couldn't you mitigate that flaw somewhat by having stronger, higher quality bearings?

mtbr member
    I only have one experience with ISIS, but the RF Signature that I had only lasted one ride.

No thanks.

hip boy

No good Conclusion: ISIS sucks.

I have been looking at the American Classic ISIS but could never get my hands on one.
    They seem to be out of stock indefinitely.
    The new design looks nice as well.\

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.
    I am waiting for the Race Face X-type Deus crank/integrated BB to come out and will ditch all this ISIS crap then.

MaxXx