Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126

    How to Save 200 Grams on Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

    Hello,

    I'm back.

    For my light bike project, the next purchase is a lighter crankset and bottom bracket.

    I'm building a 20 lb hard tail that will ride like a rocket-ship on the trails. Just 5 lbs left!

    Currently I'm using a Race Face Evolve XC crankset which weighs about 650 gr

    My current Bottom Bracket is a Race Face SRX (steel) which weighs 210 gr

    So, the total is about 860 – 935 gr depending on who's data you check (Weight Weenies or Retailers) In other words, it's a boat anchor!

    My goal is to save at least 200 grams and my budget is about $300-400

    I plan on going full weight weenie, so I may go with the compact cranks and Dura-Ace roadie cassette. I like old-school square taper, but will go with ISIS if I have too.

    What's the best way to go here in the cranks/bb department?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mads Kock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    66

    A suggestion...

    would be:
    Extralite E-Bones W cranks with integrated BB (497 grams), Extralite Octarings 44/30T (91 grams) and Extralite chainrings bolts (4 grams).

    Totalt weight is 592 grams with everything! I use my crankset on my fully with 73mm wide BB - if you have a hardtail you will probably have a 68mm wide BB and you need to add the weight of 2 spacers (app. 3-5 grams in total)!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Kock
    would be:
    Extralite E-Bones W cranks with integrated BB (497 grams), Extralite Octarings 44/30T (91 grams) and Extralite chainrings bolts (4 grams).

    Totalt weight is 592 grams with everything! I use my crankset on my fully with 73mm wide BB - if you have a hardtail you will probably have a 68mm wide BB and you need to add the weight of 2 spacers (app. 3-5 grams in total)!

    Right on Mad Kock,

    I've looked at the Extralite E-Bones.

    They're $600 though, which is out of my budget. I could buy them Yes, but $600! Scary.

    Thanks for the idea though.

    Any other ideas out there?

  4. #4
    Ex-Gunslinger
    Reputation: Laika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    180
    Your after a ~660g crankset and BB combo for $300-$400? Well if some of the experts here have a solution that will stand up to real riding I'd be interested as well

    While it might not be helpful I'd put a set of extralite rings and alloy bolts (maybe it has them already?) on your current cranks and add a nice light Ti BB and spend the rest of the money on making the rest of the bike lighter. Do you have a build list for your bike? 20lbs for a HT shouldn't be too hard to reach.

    Have you checked out all the light HT's over on the light bikes site to see what crank/BB combos they are using?

    http://www.light-bikes.com/BikeGalle...ct.asp?catid=1

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    By looking at the rigs over at www.light-bikes.com, here are the Superlight and Light set-ups...

    Superlight:

    Extralite E-Bones
    Storck Powerarms Pro
    Tune

    Light:

    Shimano XTR
    RaceFace Next LP
    RaceFace Turbine LP

    I know where to get the Extralite cranks, but what about Storck and Tune?

    WHERE do you buy these? And HOW MUCH do they cost? $$$

    Thanks...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    WHERE do you buy these? And HOW MUCH do they cost? $$$
    Here's one source for Extralite :
    http://www.sales.light-bikes.com/ext.../extralite.asp

    Ken.

  7. #7
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    here is a really good setup

    - Race Face Turbine LP crank arms, compact, square taper, 175mm = 425g, $110 (new), ebay
    - Action Tec BB, sized to bike = 145g, $100, Cambriabike (you can also go ISIS with the 150g titanium BB from Token)
    - 20t, 21t or 22t granny, titanium from Action Tec, Boone or Cycle Dynamics = 20g, $35
    - 30t ring, Salsa Pro = 40g, $30, Adrenaline Bikes (there are non-ramped 29t rings or you can do the new 29t Boone ring)
    - 42t ring, Salsa Pro or Shimano LX SGX (yes it's compact!), 89g/69g, $50/$15, Adrenaline/Cambria
    - chainring bolts = 12g, $20, Cambria
    - granny bolts = 5g, probably come with cranks

    Total = 736g, $325.

    As far as I'm aware - and I'd love to be proven wrong, the only lighter option is the E-bones for $600, but you will be hard pressed to run a 12-27 cassette with 22/32/44 rings. It's the 32t thats the killer.



    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    Hello,

    I'm back.

    For my light bike project, the next purchase is a lighter crankset and bottom bracket.

    I'm building a 20 lb hard tail that will ride like a rocket-ship on the trails. Just 5 lbs left!

    Currently I'm using a Race Face Evolve XC crankset which weighs about 650 gr

    My current Bottom Bracket is a Race Face SRX (steel) which weighs 210 gr

    So, the total is about 860 – 935 gr depending on who's data you check (Weight Weenies or Retailers) In other words, it's a boat anchor!

    My goal is to save at least 200 grams and my budget is about $300-400

    I plan on going full weight weenie, so I may go with the compact cranks and Dura-Ace roadie cassette. I like old-school square taper, but will go with ISIS if I have too.

    What's the best way to go here in the cranks/bb department?

    Thanks!
    M

  8. #8
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Motivated - Instead of doing all that work why not just go with an FSA Carbon Pro crankset (578 grams) and an American Classic bb (141 grams). That comes to a total of 719 grams. You can get the crankset for $199.95 from cambria. Should be able to find the bb for around $100.

    Then later on you can replace the chainrings and bolts. Plus the bearings are easily replacable on the American Classic bb, big plus when dealing with ISIS bb's.

  9. #9
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Just checked the prices.

    American Classic bb - $109.95 w/ free shipping. - 141 grams
    FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue MTB crankset - $199.95 - 578 grams

    Total - $309.90 (plus shipping on crankset) - 719 grams

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Motivated - Instead of doing all that work why not just go with an FSA Carbon Pro crankset (578 grams) and an American Classic bb (141 grams). That comes to a total of 719 grams. You can get the crankset for $199.95 from cambria. Should be able to find the bb for around $100.

    Then later on you can replace the chainrings and bolts. Plus the bearings are easily replacable on the American Classic bb, big plus when dealing with ISIS bb's.
    This is the exact combo I use and have absolutely no complaints.

  11. #11
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    This is the exact combo I use and have absolutely no complaints.
    I use it as well. I do have extralite bolts though. I also have boone ti rings (20t, 31t) ordered for it. Have been using the crank for three seasons now, bottom bracket is only one year old but still doing well.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    Yeah Motivated and Lowcel,

    I've been thinking about both your suggestions and they both make a lot of sense.

    I'll just have to figure out which way to go... FSA or RaceFace.

    Both ideas will knock about 150 grams of the rig.

    Not bad! All good.

  13. #13
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    104/64

    Hmmmm, that it is a little easier - and it is a nice crankset - is 578g an actual weight with rings? Note that I included a Boone granny in the calculation. There are some things to think about though - the RF cranks are forged alum, very durable; they are also compact which enables a 20t granny (which I don't recommend - I think it has lower efficiency) and 29t middle, which is a huge help when using a 12-27 cassette. And the Turbines can be found in 180mm length - that's what I use. Personally I think the Am Classic BB is a piece of sh!t (the Token might not much better) - sorry, but it is no comparison to the Action Tec.

    Added: If you want the AmClassic BB, I believe Adrenaline bikes sells them for $85 - $90.


    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Motivated - Instead of doing all that work why not just go with an FSA Carbon Pro crankset (578 grams) and an American Classic bb (141 grams). That comes to a total of 719 grams. You can get the crankset for $199.95 from cambria. Should be able to find the bb for around $100.

    Then later on you can replace the chainrings and bolts. Plus the bearings are easily replacable on the American Classic bb, big plus when dealing with ISIS bb's.
    Last edited by Motivated; 11-09-2005 at 12:48 PM. Reason: price
    M

  14. #14
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Hmmmm, that it is a little easier - and it is a nice crankset - is 578g an actual weight with rings? Note that I included a Boone granny in the calculation. There are some things to think about though - the RF cranks are forged alum, very durable; they are also compact which enables a 20t granny (which I don't recommend - I think it has lower efficiency) and 29t middle, which is a huge help when using a 12-27 cassette. And the Turbines can be found in 180mm length - that's what I use. Personally I think the Am Classic BB is a piece of sh!t (the Token might not much better) - sorry, but it is no comparison to the Action Tec.

    Added: If you want the AmClassic BB, I believe Adrenaline bikes sells them for $85 - $90.
    Just goes to show everyone has different preferences, thats not a bad thing. I really like my American Classic bb. I like it enough I ordered one for my road bike, just haven't installed it yet. Anywho......

    The Boone rings would be great on the race face, just remember they will take about six weeks to receive. Well worth it though (at least I hope they are worth it) if time is not an issue. If the 29t middle is important then the RaceFace is definately the better way to go. The smallest Boone middle ring I was able to order was a 31t.

    Either way will work. As a bonus neither way will break the bank.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    I like the RaceFace Turbine LP's, but what about the carbon NEXT LP's?

    On Weight Weenies it shows that they're about 25 grams lighter, yes?

    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...type=crankarms

  16. #16
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,186

    even better and stiffer

    If I find a set in 180mm square I'll buy them. But they command more $$. You know - call Supergo in Oceanside I think they have a set (pretty sure they are square taper) with rings for $180 ??? (called - they are square taper but $240) Of course you probably don't want to use the rings - but they would be great as a starter or backup.



    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport650
    I like the RaceFace Turbine LP's, but what about the carbon NEXT LP's?

    On Weight Weenies it shows that they're about 25 grams lighter, yes?

    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...type=crankarms
    Last edited by Motivated; 11-09-2005 at 02:37 PM. Reason: called supergo
    M

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,888

    700-730 in square taper is cheap

    It takes some work but you can still find square taper XT or RaceFace on Ebay. An XT is around 465 and the RaceFace about 430. Add 130-150 grams for chainrings/bolts. Add 150 for a Titanium Action Tec (or 230 for XT) and you are at:

    Min=710 Max=845

    Not bad, you can buy all the above for below $100, with the excepton of the action tech.

    I just put together a XT 170mm cranks + Sugino III chainrings + RaceFace titanium BB coming in a 715

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dualsport650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    126
    Hi Motivated,

    I called, but they won't ship it up here to Bend, Oregon. Bummer.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.