How much weight would I save.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. How much weight would I save.....

If I add Avid mechanical disk brake calipersto a 2004 Specialized Epic (in place of the Avid SD-3R cantilever brakes) and then swap out the stock wheels/hubs, etc. for my Crossmax SL disks wheels with Roll-X pros? I take it that the effective weight savings will be better than the actual weight savings, due to the reduction in the rolling weight?

Any other suggestions on cost effective weight savings for those few occasions that I race? Carbon fiber handlebar? Carbon fiber seat post?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

no to Avid Mech. Disc

They are extremely heavy. The weights for those at http://www.weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php are a bit misleading because it does not include the levers and cable. Weights for hydraulic brakes are typically for the whole system. For example if you used Avid SD-7 levers, the total weight of Avid mech disc brakes would be 944g (344g, F + 353g, R + 197g, levers + 50g, cable). That is over 2lb! Forget about those and look for something else. Besides, they work OK, but require constant adjustment because unlike hydraulic brakes they don't auto adjust for pad wear. For comparison Magura Louise weigh about 840g and work way better, and if you want to spend real money there are sets from Formula, Hope and Magura that weigh about 720g. I guess that your rim brakes weigh about 670g total, so you see that disc brakes are not a way to save weight.

If you are happy with rim brakes, then stick with those and get a new set of hand built wheels from Mike Garcia (http://www.oddsandendos.com/) or somewhere else. They will be as light or lighter than the Crossmax and cost half as much.

Quote Originally Posted by sbermhb
    If I add Avid mechanical disk brake calipersto a 2004 Specialized Epic (in place of the Avid SD-3R cantilever brakes) and then swap out the stock wheels/hubs, etc. for my Crossmax SL disks wheels with Roll-X pros? I take it that the effective weight savings will be better than the actual weight savings, due to the reduction in the rolling weight?

Any other suggestions on cost effective weight savings for those few occasions that I race? Carbon fiber handlebar? Carbon fiber seat post?
    M

mtbr member

Compromise.

Just do the front end and put up with a few more grams, I promise it will be worth it in the fall muck/snow.
    You will get most of the benefits of discs and not have to pony up for a good lite rear disc hub.

Many still use this setup for it's excellent cost to (weight-performance) ratio.
    "The wheel is an extension of the foot." The Minutemen

Members who have read this thread: 0