Help w/ Egg Beaters- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Help w/ Egg Beaters

Need to get a set of pedals. Looking at a set of Egg Beater 3's. I know they are not a true WW part but they are lighter than my current Frogs that are about 10 years old. But I dislike the new cleats Speedplay is selling and keep pulling my right foot out of the pdeal.

In any case, I am curious if anyone knows if the J&L ti spindles fit in them. I am looking to do a little tuning to them once I get them and suspect that I can get them down to around 200g provided the end caps, springs and maybe even bodies (will have to check with the guy in Europe to see if he has any made) all fit.

Just curious if anyone knows if there is indeed tuning options with these pedals.

Low Rep Count
    Let me clarify, my goal is to get them to 200g. also does anyone know if there is a weight limit with the ti spindles? Is there a stainless steel spindle option? Everything I have seen seems to just be Chromoloy.

Low Rep Count
    Ok, well I just went ahead and bought the 3's because I found a set of ti spindles that fit the 2011 pedals (to include the 3's). Now I am trying to win an auction for ti end caps and I will pretty much be done with tuning them for a little while. Next will be some ti wings and bodies but I will work on that later this winter. Need to recover from my spending spree this weekend (bought some new brakes as well).

mtbr member
    I've been running eggbeaters for 3 years now with no problems. With regard to the spindles, crank brothers' titanium version of the new pedals are recommended a maximum rider weight of 200 lb (the older version was 185lb). I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere about the J&L titanium spindles being rated for 185lb but could be wrong. With regard to tuning your pedals, be careful. If you try to replace your spring with say a titanium spring but don't have the proper tools, it is almost impossible to put them back together without destroying o rings. Spindles and end caps shouldn't be too difficult though.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    can't you just get plastic endcaps? Will save some grams over ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    can't you just get plastic endcaps? Will save some grams over ti.
    I'm sure you can but in my opinion for the amount you save it's just not worth it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

~Reformed Mechanic~
    1SPD why not just get the EB 11's ?

Low Rep Count
    Well the 11's are running over $300 on fleabay for starters. I ended up spending a total of $156 for my set up and figure that I can upgrade the rest over time if that is what I still feel the need to do. But as long as the spindles get them down closer to 200g I will be happy with that.

I guess you could go with plastic end caps and shave a little more weight. I have not seen them out there though I am sure they exist. I'm not too stressed about colors mind you but honestly, the end caps really aren't going to shave a ton of weight anyway. I just figured that if I needed to take them off to change the spindles I might as well add some lighter ones in the process.

Low Rep Count
    Can anyone tell me what special tools one would need to replace the springs on EB's? I don't plan on doing this right away but should the need arise down the road I am trying to figure out if it is something that I can do or not.

mtbr member
    I put Ti spindles into my 3's. The new weight is right at 225 grams FWIW, sorry I don't have a picture. The spindles were the short version from Ward Ind.

The end caps are aluminum so your not going to save any weight using titanium there. The end cap actually plays a role in the new Eggs, so I don't see plastic being an option for further weight loss either.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Low Rep Count
    Those are the ones I went with. Do you know if the weight limit is 185 lbs?

I will be happy with 225 or so. That is still a reduction over my 10 yr old frogs!

Thanks for the input on the wts for the 3's.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Well the 11's are running over $300 on fleabay for starters. I ended up spending a total of $156 for my set up and figure that I can upgrade the rest over time if that is what I still feel the need to do. But as long as the spindles get them down closer to 200g I will be happy with that.
    I was looking at the Crank Bros Ti Spindles for like $150 THEN I saw the J&L for $50... Now makes sense! In fact I think Im gonna order the J&Ls now

Low Rep Count
    Make sure you get the ones that fit the pedals you have. I thought I read that the J&L's don't fit the 2011 pedals. I ordered ones from Ward industries. I can post up a link you need me to. If you have the older EB's then the J&L's should work.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=1SPD;8482905]Those are the ones I went with. Do you know if the weight limit is 185 lbs?
    [QUOTE]

Sorry, don't know. I'm pretty sure the weight limits from Ward are higher then CB. I'm not near that so I don't really worry about it...
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Low Rep Count
    [QUOTE=DavidR1;8483089][QUOTE=1SPD;8482905]Those are the ones I went with. Do you know if the weight limit is 185 lbs?

Sorry, don't know. I'm pretty sure the weight limits from Ward are higher then CB. I'm not near that so I don't really worry about it...
    So your calling me fat now! WTH? jsut messin, I sent them an email asking for clarification. I'll post up if/when I hear back from them.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Make sure you get the ones that fit the pedals you have. I thought I read that the J&L's don't fit the 2011 pedals. I ordered ones from Ward industries. I can post up a link you need me to. If you have the older EB's then the J&L's should work.
    Actually J&L does have some for the 2011's available... Whats the price on the Wards? JL's are 50

Low Rep Count
    Well, I obviously did not search as much as I could have, dangit!
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Low Rep Count
    Got a message back from Ward and was told that the wt limit is 200 lbs. Looks like I should be good to go.