Help save some weight on my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Help save some weight on my bike

I know, "not another" But, I think you all could hande just on more. So, here it goes.

I have just built this Foes FXR up recently. It's really great and I like it a lot. However, It’s 33lbs right now, and coming off a hardtail, it’s much more weight than I hoped. I don’t want to spend a ton of cash to make it super-light, but maybe shave it down to 30lbs. Intended use is aggressive cross country.

Here are the specs:

’03 Foes FXR
    Fox DHX 5.0 Rear shock
    Marzocchi All Mountain 1
    Hope Bulb Hubs with Mavic 717
    Race Face Deus Crankset
    Crank Bros Eggbeater C
    Sram 990 Cassette
    Sram Hollowpin Chain
    Sram X.9 Triggers
    Sram X.9 RD
    Shimano XT FD
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Avid levers
    Thompson elite stem
    Thompson elite seatpost
    Hope skewers
    Salsa collar
    Answer pro taper carbon bar
    WTB Laser V seat – This needs to go, I know this already. Any suggestions?

Not sure what else to tell you all about. So, where can I save the most weight for the cheapest price? There has to be at least three pounds in here somewhere that would be an easy swap. I was thinking of changing out the fork (oh how I like it though) to something that is not as tall – Fox maybe?

Thanks to everyone.

mtbr member
    What are you running for tires?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724
    What are you running for tires?
    Also wondering.

Looks like an awesome solid build, that would be great for trail riding.

The only thing that sticks out besides the seat, is the brakes. BB7's are known to be one of the heaviest disc brakes out there, by replacing them with some like a Hope mono mini, Magura Marta you should save half a pound if not more.

Other then that, i would keep it the way it is, it sounds like an awesome build, and not worth spending more money on it just to save some grams.

If your happy with the fork, don't change it, if you find the fork is too high, THEN consider something like a fox..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have 2.35 Blue Groove up front and 2.1 weirwolf in back. I do intend on picking up some hydraulic disc brakes. The hopes stick out.

As far as the fork goes. My riding buddy sold me the frame and fork for a great price. I do really enjoy it and I'm not at all unhappy with it. But, the fork makes the frame a little large for me even in 130mm. I have never run the full 150mm. I imagine it's pretty awesome. So, could I expect a Fox Vanilla to be lighter and a shorter A-C? Anyone have any specs on the size? What about the pike air?

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcgrath
    I have 2.35 Blue Groove up front and 2.1 weirwolf in back. I do intend on picking up some hydraulic disc brakes. The hopes stick out.

As far as the fork goes. My riding buddy sold me the frame and fork for a great price. I do really enjoy it and I'm not at all unhappy with it. But, the fork makes the frame a little large for me even in 130mm. I have never run the full 150mm. I imagine it's pretty awesome. So, could I expect a Fox Vanilla to be lighter and a shorter A-C? Anyone have any specs on the size? What about the pike air?
    Do a search on the turner forum and even the foes forum for which fork to get, the turner guys really know their stuff.

But yes, i do believe the Fox would be lighter and shorter, i personalyl would get a Float or a Talas over the Vanilla, just because it's lighter

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, I'm looking into the brake area here. It seems the Hope Mini's are getting great reviews. I am looking to go with those, but...

Where do the weight saving come into play? Doing a quick comparison from weight weenies, the BB7's weigh in at ~350gm ea plus the levers @150gm for the pair. That's 850 give or take. I left out the cables, I know. The hopes weigh in at 380 +/- each levers included. That only saves me 90grams, maybe 120 with the cables. Everyone keeps saying the BB7 are anchors. True or not? What am I missing?

bike dork extraordinaire

Those are solid tires for an all mountain bike, but they aren't the lightest around, or the quickest. Switching to a smaller and lighter front tire (the Blue Groove 2.1 DTC, Mutanoraptor 2.4 and IRC Mibro 2.25 are all around 600-650 grams and work well as front tires, especially on dry terrain) and a lighter and faster rolling rear tire (Karma 2.0, Python 2.0, Nanoraptor 2.1 come to mind) will speed up the bike quite a bit. You'll sacrifice some traction, but you'll notice that the bike will get up and go much better, especially in dry conditions. Switching to faster tires can sometimes feel like 5 lbs was taken off of the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    anyone want to chime in on my disc brake question? What weight savings could I expect?

I run MutanoRaptor 2.4 on another bike already. I like it a lot, and will be getting one for the Foes as well. I think I'll pair it with the weirwolf.

To further lighten the bike up, I plan to change the saddle to a WTB Rocket, Rithcey WCS Stem, some ritchey foam grips (I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, I like my Odi ruffians, but they are so cheap) and then play with the Stan's no tube system.

Any other quick fixes?

banned
    I know, "not another" But, I think you all could hande just on more. So, here it goes.

I have just built this Foes FXR up recently. It's really great and I like it a lot. However, It’s 33lbs right now, and coming off a hardtail, it’s much more weight than I hoped. I don’t want to spend a ton of cash to make it super-light, but maybe shave it down to 30lbs. Intended use is aggressive cross country.

Here are the specs:

’03 Foes FXR
    Fox DHX 5.0 Rear shock
    Marzocchi All Mountain 1
    Hope Bulb Hubs with Mavic 717
    Race Face Deus Crankset
    Crank Bros Eggbeater C
    Sram 990 Cassette
    Sram Hollowpin Chain
    Sram X.9 Triggers
    Sram X.9 RD
    Shimano XT FD
    Avid BB7 brakes
    Avid levers
    Thompson elite stem
    Thompson elite seatpost
    Hope skewers
    Salsa collar
    Answer pro taper carbon bar
    WTB Laser V seat – This needs to go, I know this already. Any suggestions?

Not sure what else to tell you all about. So, where can I save the most weight for the cheapest price? There has to be at least three pounds in here somewhere that would be an easy swap. I was thinking of changing out the fork (oh how I like it though) to something that is not as tall – Fox maybe?

Thanks to everyone.

Keep the AM1 - it is a great fork for that bike.

You can buy a Fox AVA air rear shock for the frame from Foes. I got mine with mounting adaptors for $200. It is much lighter than coil shocks - probably saves a pound or more off the bike.

Think about lighter wheels, maybe - otherwise ride it!

F-N A

Help with weight savings

First of all your bike sounds kick ass. The cheapest weight savings for the money could be the skewers. The ones you have now problably around 120 grams. For about 10-12 dollars you can get some locking skewers. They are 60 grams a pair. I have some on the way from Odds and Endos.com. Also I used to love triggers, and it looks like you have a great sram groupo but think about the grip shift. It will help shave weight. I now I would never have anything but the gripshifts, they rock. I also bought a marathon race 05 on there clearence sale. It is super light and works great so far. I gave a Fox Talas RLC up for it and shaved a half pound. I have shaved about 7 pounds of my bike when I first got it, and have had allot of fun doing it.

Members who have read this thread: 0