help me shed some weight off my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

help me shed some weight off my bike

i bought a used mountain bike a couple months ago.. it rides great.. i am getting ready for an endurance event, and trying to lighten up the bike without spending a lot. maybe around 400 bucks. where can I get the most bang for the buck? Give me some ideas!!

Here's my bike's spec. total weight about 25 lbs.

frame: 2005 Giant NRS Carbon (alum. rear triangle).
    fork: SID Team or Race
    shock: don't know (it's not labelled, but don't plan on swapping that)
    shifter: sram x-9 twist-style
    brake: hope mini 160 front, 140 back
    crank: xt
    f. derailleur: xtr
    r. derailleur: sram x-0
    cassette: xt
    chain: xtr
    hub: american classic
    rim: don't know (it's not labelled, but it's not tubeless)
    tires: Conti Supersonic front, Panaracer Fire XC Pro rear
    bar: hell bent riser (alum)
    stem: ritchey wcs (alum)
    saddle: wtb laser
    pedal: eggbeater

Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by jkpchang; 04-10-2008 at 02:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ditch the suspension (you big girl) and buy a cheap lightweight XC frame and rigid carbon fork. Simple

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Swap tires and tubes. Tubes to something like Forte LunarLight or Maxxis Flyweight. Tires to something like Kenda Karma 2.0 - do some searches on this forum for other tire ideas. The Conti Supersonic is pretty light, so you could leave that. Definitely get rid of the Panaracer.

That bike is already quite light. All of the "easy" stuff has already been done.

If you don't know much about bike maintenance/repair then I'd suggest you spend some of that $400 on a complete checkup from your LBS. It'd suck if your fork seized up halfway through the race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just got those Kenda Karma's and they seem pretty nice. They were way lighter than my stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks guys!!

speaking of swapping tubes, you guys think I should go tubeless? any good lightweight tubeless rims and tires you guys would recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hit Stan's Tubeless kit up- wayyy cheaper than tubeless rims/tires
    DMR Hardtail frame, Pike 454 Air, Saint, Holzfeller, etc...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    tubeless tires no, cause they will run you alot more weight than a regular tire b/c of the thicker sidewalls

mtbr member
    Hands down, the best place to save weight is going to be the wheels..... plus this is rotational weight, so it is more efficient than stationary parts of the bike (i.e. seat or seatpost, etc.) .... of course this can be expensive.

You can add some Maxxis Superlight tubes too.

Also, see what wheelset you have on this site:
    http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/us....asp?year=2006

unless it has been upgraded and you are not sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    wait.. so you guys are advising not to get a tubeless setup?

seems like the best way for me is to use my existing rims, get some lightweight tubes and tires, and setup with Stan.

what are the advantage of tubeless rim and tires then?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    light v brakes
    Death Penalty for Bike Thieves

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpchang

seems like the best way for me is to use my existing rims, get some lightweight tubes and tires, and setup with Stan.

thanks!
    Well, you don't save any weight going tubeless. Sure, you get rid of the tube, but then you have to add the rim-strip and some liquid sealant - which adds up to the weight of a light tube. People go tubeless for the performance benefits - you can run a lower PSI, which can give you better traction.

Tubeless tires are VERY heavy. They need to have a thicker sidewall because now there is no tube. That's why weight weenies use non-tubeless tires setup as tubeless tires. There are some combos which are known to work well.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    What model eggbeaters do you have? If you have one of the cheaper varieties, you really should upgrade. The cheap models aren't particularly reliable. It'd suck to break a pedal in a race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpchang

thanks!
    most likely you will save more weight with a new wheelset..... my guess is your stock rims/hubs/spokes are heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think i have the bottom of the line eggbeater..

the wheelset that I have, i think it's custom built. I bought the bike from another guy.. the hub is american classic. i just don't know what the rim is.. but it feels pretty light weight.

i think i am going to follow you guys' advice, and get myself some lightweight tires and tubes.. i am riding 8 hours at Laguna Seca. any good tire recommendations? I am thinking about the Larsen TT or the Karma. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

would you guys ride the Maxxlite 310 for an endurance race? the course is not very technical, but is quite sandy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think i have the bottom of the line eggbeater..

the wheelset that I have, i think it's custom built. I bought the bike from another guy.. the hub is american classic. i just don't know what the rim is.. but it feels pretty light weight.

i think i am going to follow you guys' advice, and get myself some lightweight tires and tubes.. i am riding 8 hours at Laguna Seca. any good tire recommendations? I am thinking about the Larsen TT or the Karma. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

would you guys ride the Maxxlite 310 for an endurance race? the course is not very technical, but is quite sandy.

Members who have read this thread: 0