Roval Fattie SL wheels
    DHR2 tires front/rear
    ENVE bars
    RaceFace Atlas stem
    Specialized saddle/grips
    Fox Doss dropper
    XT pedals
    Custom Race bottle cage

Would be willing to swap my rear tire to an Ikon or something when it dries out, but keeping the front. Could swap saddle for something Ti railed. Could swap various bolts with Ti (brand suggestion?). Could swap pedals for XTR (is there a weight limit? I'm 235lbs). Could swap bottle cage for carbon. I need a dropper but I know this particular model is one of the heavier ones. What else?

ups and downs
    What's it weigh now and what is your target weight?

Making little changes like changing all the bolts won't give you much more than 25-30gms or so for about $3/gm. The Following frame is about 6.6 pounds and the wheels are already down around 1570gms which is pretty light for 29" wheels. So there's no obvious place to shave off pounds.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Speaking from memory it's 28.2 with pedals, out front garmin mount, bottle cage, etc. Totally ready to ride at that weight except the water bottle itself and garmin.

Maybe mid 27 as a goal? Nothing crazy, just a few things maybe. Getting the new toy itch so might as well it's super capable in this configuration. Would shuttle run with no changes, but I don't want to hamper it's ability so that's why I was thinking stuff like pedals, bolts, bottle cage, etc. I know I won't shave .5lbs with those though.

damned rocks...
    You can swap your Race Face stem to the Renthal Apex stem, or another lighter stem.
    You can shave over 30g, depending on the new stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    You can swap your Race Face stem to the Renthal Apex stem, or another lighter stem.
    You can shave over 30g, depending on the new stem.
    That's ~$3/gram again though

damned rocks...
    Esi grips.

mtbr member
    Don't know which particular grips you have but you might save an easy 50 grams or more there for cheap.

edit; Aglo beat me to it but I 2nd the esi's, though there are even lighter options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Don't know which particular grips you have but you might save an easy 50 grams or more there for cheap.

edit; Aglo beat me to it but I 2nd the esi's, though there are even lighter options.
    I think these are the ones I have... either these or the XL of the same model. No idea the weight.

https://specialized.com/us/en/access...g-grips/105235

mtbr member

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I think these are the ones I have... either these or the XL of the same model. No idea the weight.

https://specialized.com/us/en/access...g-grips/105235
    I think those are rubber, and listed at 100g.

I'm not particularly a fan of the ESI grips, but people seem to like them.

I prefer soft rubber or foam grip.
    Like this ones, listed at 14g.
    http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/ca...ain/foam-grips
    They have ones that are grey, and I think they are even lighter, but not sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    I think those are rubber, and listed at 100g.

I'm not particularly a fan of the ESI grips, but people seem to like them.

I prefer soft rubber or foam grip.
    Like this ones, listed at 14g.
    http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/ca...ain/foam-grips
    They have ones that are grey, and I think they are even lighter, but not sure.
    Wow, now that's a good $/g ratio!

damned rocks...
    You are running tubeless right?

Other place you can save weight is swapping your XT rotor with Formula two-piece rotors.
    Ex: XT 180mm 6 bolt = 136g
    Formula two-piece 6 bolt = 115g

And the Formula's rotors are also available in red .
    If you also use Formula titanium bolts you can save even more, the titanium bolts from Formula are the lightest ones I found at 1g per bolt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Going to Xpedo M-Force 8 pedals, you can drop 100 grams without sacrificing any performance over your XTs. I'm running the Xpedos, and I'm really satisfied with their performance.

Edit: seeing as you weigh over 185 lbs, you will want to look at the M-Force 8 CR version with steel axles and titanium body. http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals...4/m-force-8-cr

Always Learning
    Evil Following
    Pike fork
    X01 - derailleur, cassette, shifter
    XX1 - crank, chain
    XTR brakes, XT rotors
    Roval Fattie SL wheels
    DHR2 tires front/rear
    ENVE bars
    RaceFace Atlas stem
    Specialized saddle/grips
    Fox Doss dropper
    XT pedals
    Custom Race bottle cage

Would be willing to swap my rear tire to an Ikon or something when it dries out, but keeping the front. Could swap saddle for something Ti railed. Could swap various bolts with Ti (brand suggestion?). Could swap pedals for XTR (is there a weight limit? I'm 235lbs). Could swap bottle cage for carbon. I need a dropper but I know this particular model is one of the heavier ones. What else?
    The 235 is going to limit you on a lot of lower weight components.

Penny to pound ratio wise, you could throw $2-3K at shaving off two pounds from the bike, or you could spend $0 and shave off some of the 235.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The 235 is going to limit you on a lot of lower weight components.

Penny to pound ratio wise, you could throw $2-3K at shaving off two pounds from the bike, or you could spend $0 and shave off some of the 235.
    I'm 6'6"... Already dropped 40lbs since I started cycling (lifting weights less often), I'll be scrawny looking if I lose much more.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'6"... Already dropped 40lbs since I started cycling (lifting weights less often), I'll be scrawny looking if I lose much more.
    Keep in mind that the ideal cycling weight for someone your size would probably be in the 170-180# range. That might be a bit extreme for most but if you're really serious about improvement shooting for 200 or so would seem a reasonable goal. I agree with BB, performance wise 10 pounds off yourself would make a lot more difference than all the ti bolts and foam grips you could possibly throw at the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Keep in mind that the ideal cycling weight for someone your size would probably be in the 170-180# range. That might be a bit extreme for most but if you're really serious about improvement shooting for 200 or so would seem a reasonable goal. I agree with BB, performance wise 10 pounds off yourself would make a lot more difference than all the ti bolts and foam grips you could possibly throw at the bike.
    Yeah, I agree, and it's not that I can't lose more weight it's that I don't want to. I've already lost enough upper body size/strength that daily life activities that were once easy have become more difficult. I know it would be more beneficial for me to lose more weight, I'm floating up climbs that were once soul sucking and I know that would continue linearly (or is it exponentially?) with more weight loss. Just not willing to go much lower than I am now. Maaaybe 225.

Always Learning
    Yeah, I agree, and it's not that I can't lose more weight it's that I don't want to. I've already lost enough upper body size/strength that daily life activities that were once easy have become more difficult. I know it would be more beneficial for me to lose more weight, I'm floating up climbs that were once soul sucking and I know that would continue linearly (or is it exponentially?) with more weight loss. Just not willing to go much lower than I am now. Maaaybe 225.
    I wasn't criticizing you for your weight (I'm 6'4" and 166 at the moment), but having just spent the money to shed nearly 3 pounds on my Salsa Dos Niner - I can vouch from my wallet how painfully expensive that was to do.

Bike feels great though, so I'm pleased to breathe new life into it regardless of the expense. Most of my choices were to upgrade to more modern technology (TA, new fork, 1 x 11, hydraulic disc brakes, wider bar, etc...) - so it was a combination upgrade to new technology, but do it weight weenie style at the same time.

I dropped from my peak of 212 in 2003/04 down to my current weight and can say it's a pretty amazing performance boost on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I wasn't criticizing you for your weight (I'm 6'4" and 166 at the moment), but having just spent the money to shed nearly 3 pounds on my Salsa Dos Niner - I can vouch from my wallet how painfully expensive that was to do.

Bike feels great though, so I'm pleased to breathe new life into it regardless of the expense. Most of my choices were to upgrade to more modern technology (TA, new fork, 1 x 11, hydraulic disc brakes, wider bar, etc...) - so it was a combination upgrade to new technology, but do it weight weenie style at the same time.

I dropped from my peak of 212 in 2003/04 down to my current weight and can say it's a pretty amazing performance boost on the bike.
    Yeah it's fine, I just know a lot of knee jerk reactions to "235 pounds" is "fat ass!" so I wanted to include my height.

Not looking to drop several grand into the bike, but if there are a few places I can shed 1/8-1/4lb and they're <$100, why not? like the grips posted above, titanium rail saddle, etc. would cost $20-100 each and save around 1/4lb each.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you are running the stock Pike Maxle QR, switch to a Maxle Stealth and save about 40 grams. $33 at Jenson: Rockshox Maxle Stealth > Components > Forks & Suspension > Thru Axles | Jenson USA

Depending on your seatpost collar you might be able to shave 15-20 grams with a Woodman clamp: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=24477
    Last edited by gasmanxj; 04-16-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Bad link