Help me reduce weight from my bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Help me reduce weight from my bike

I have a 09 Fisher Hifi and the stock weight of the bike is heavy at 31.5 lbs. I am trying to reduce the weight of the bike to something like 25 lbs. I know the stock rims are heavy so that is the 1st thing I am trying to change. My stock rims arethe Shimano M525 w/M570 (LX) freehub/Bontrager sealed front hub, Bontrager Duster 29" tubeless ready* 28mm wide disc rims, 32h

I am looking at some rims from chainreactioncycles.com. So I am looking at the Mavic How do I know if these will fit? I need some help on this.

I am also looking to change some things I weighed.

1. The stock Bontrager seat is heavy at 440grams wow. To the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow Saddle at 140grams

2. The stock post is literally 1 lb. Wow mama..lol So I will go with sometihng in carbon in 31.6mm.

3. The cassette on my bike now weighs 480 grams opposed to the XT 13-34T one that weighs 250 grams.

What other things can I change?

I just ordered the following:

1. XT M-785 brakes front and rear
    2. Ritchey Stem WCS Carbon
    3. Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer bars
    4. Ritchey WCS Carbon Seat post
    Last edited by luisc202; 02-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    There isn't a single part on that bike, including the frame, that would be good to use on a really lightweight bike. If you get serious about light bikes, you're going to either end up replacing everything piece by piece or starting again with a different bike that has a lighter frame and components.

There's lots of information in this forum if you can spend some time reading through the other threads.

mtbr member
    Like Roadsters mentioned. Depends on your budget, if you plan on keeping the bike, etc. When I first bought my bike it weighed in at 32lbs and change (now 27lbs and change). I like agressive AM riding so I knew a 24-25lb bike wasn't a realistic target for me. Then again, I really like the frame that I have although it it heavy. I just replace parts when they break or wear out. Check the classifieds of various boards, visit your local LBS take off walls, or if you have some nice friends you can drop a few pounds for pennies on the dollar.....or get another bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0