Help Me Lighten my Ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help Me Lighten my Ride

I'd like to up grade some parts my '05 Specialized StumpJumper 120 (dualie). I ride xc, roots,rocks and logs, weigh 220 lbs. I like to do small drops 2-3 feet. I'm looking to lighten up the bike some. What upgrades would you recommend considering my weight and riding style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More info would be helpful.

What parts are on the bike? A spec list would helps us know what we are dealing with. Also check out the FAQ's that are always the first post in the forum. Lots of good advice. If you really want to get replys take a pic. I click on any thred that has that little camera thingy. Best of luck with the Stumpy. Buy one of the new carbon ones and it will be lighter for sure.

Pedal

mechmann_mtb
    XT cranks w/ x-type BB (assuming you have Hollowtech I Octalink)

lighter wheel set (MavicCrossmax XL or equivalent custom build) if you go UST rims you can run tubeless to save a little more weight.

XT cassette (assuming yours is LX)

mtbr member

My Specs

Here are the specs.
    FRAME FSR technology, M4 Manipulated Alloy frame with Transform monocoque TT, sealed cartridge bearings, disc compatible, 120mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger, two sets of water bottle bosses
    REAR SHOCK Fox Float Septune.
    FORK Fox Talas RL, 95-130mm travel,
    HEADSET 1 1/8” Threadless, 3x sealed, black alloy cups, cartridge bearings, ultralight alloy top cap and bolt
    STEM 3D forged CNC machined, 4-bolt, 31.8mm OS clamp, 8 degree rise
    HANDLEBARS Specialized XC Low Rise 31.8mm OS bar, 2014 butted alloy, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree backsweep, 640mm width
    GRIPS Oury
    BRAKES Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc, 160mm,
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-570 LX,
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-952 XTR,
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M-570 LX
    CASSETTE Shimano XT
    CHAIN SRAM PC99
    CRANKSET Custom Shimano Hollowtech, Octalink XT Spline
    CHAINRINGS 32Ax22S, 4-bolt 104/64mm pattern, steel chainring bolts RaceFace bashguard
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell, 118mm spindle. 50mm chainline.
    PEDALS Shimano 520 SPD
    RIMS Front Mavic X317 disc, 26”, black, eyelets
    FRONT HUB Specialized Stout Disc, 32 hole
    REAR RIM and HUB Mavic Crossland
    SPOKES DT Swiss Competition, 1.8mm, SS, black, alloy nipples
    TIRES Specialized Adrenaline Pro 2.0, aramid bead, dual compound, 120tpi
    TUBES yes
    SADDLE Specialized BG technology, hollow Cr-Mo rails, dual density base
    SEAT POST 2014 butted Alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm
    SEAT BINDER Alloy collar with Q/R, 34.9mm clamp I.D., black

That's right....
    start with the basics
    pretty much all of the "house" components like the saddle, stem, seatpost, handlebar are all pretty generic and in most cases they will be heavy....
    those shimano 520 pedals are porkers too.
    replace the tubes with maxxis, panaracer, or continentals lightest version and youll save atleast 100gr. right there.
    Specialized tires are decent enough, but theyre soft, wear quickly and typically are pretty slow rolling....for the most part theyre fairly light, but there are much better alternatives out there.

start with that....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree with Jersey

That your "house" componets are heavy, but personally I woiuld not start there with upgrades. The goal of lightweight parts is high performance, and while you will save considerable weight swapping bars stems posts etc I doubt you will feel the difference from a performance standpoint.

lighter wheels, tires, tubes eic will shave weight, and make your bike quite a bit faster due to the reduction in rotating mass. Light tubes are an option, but depending where you ride may be prone to flats. Personally I would get some UST wheels, and use them with regular tires and stans. Less weight and better flat protection.

After you secure a fast wheelset I would think about the rest of your parts. Wait for drivetrain parts to wear out before replacing them with lighter options.

Have fun, Pedal

Members who have read this thread: 0