help me drop 2+ pounds!- Mtbr.com

help me drop 2+ pounds!

hello all,
    i got a intense 6.6 that doesn't seem to be built up TOO heavy.. but it weighs in at 35.7lbs, and I would love to get it down to 32-33 pounds.. which is what many of the other 6.6s weigh. Here's my specs

medium 6.6 frame
    06 marz z1 light eta fork
    dhx air
    lx shifters
    xt f/r derailleur
    xt cranks w/ e13 supercharger bash
    thomson 31.6 seatpost
    thomson x4 70mm stem
    31.6mm RF next carbon handlebar
    intense titanium rail seat
    Hadley 20mm front / Hadley QR rear hubs
    DT swiss fr6.1d rims
    maxxis 2.35 minion super tacky DH front/rear
    odi ruffian lock on grips w/ hope doctor bar plugs
    azonic a-frame pedals.
    juicy 5 hydros w/ 8" hayes non-mud cutter rotors

I recently changed out my front freeride tube for the specialized 1.9-2.2 tubes which probably knocked off a few grams,
    also switched the rear minion for wtb mutanoraptors 2.4 which saved around 200 grams.
    I'm looking to get a 2.5 weirwolf for the front to save about < 100 grams.

I know my rim/hub setup is a bit heavy, but I just got these and would rather err on the heavy side as far as wheels go.. so i'd rather keep these babies. same with the fork..

I do a mix of xc/all mtn with 4-5' drops.. many to flat, but don't really break stuff, so a carbon seatpost, lighter platform pedals, lighter stem, bashguard, etc suggestion would be appreciated (esp on the pedals...). I read on a post that the Spot bash is very light.. but it seems that would just snap if i bash it during my urban sessions.

also, will swapping the rear 8" rotor for a 7 or 6 make that much of a difference in weight?
    Last edited by unfluid one; 02-01-2006 at 07:55 PM.

That's right....
    safely and efficiently dropping 2+ lbs is entirely possible, unfortunately it will require small changes to almpost everypart.
    if youve switched to lighter tubes and are looking to switch to lighter tires thats about all youve got left before your forced to swap out original parts completely.

i mean, you could do the small stuff that always works like grips, ti/al bolt tuning, saddle, but when your working with a 36lb bike dropping 70g on grips aint gonna do crap.... its all relative ya know?

whats your budget like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    safely and efficiently dropping 2+ lbs is entirely possible, unfortunately it will require small changes to almpost everypart.
    if youve switched to lighter tubes and are looking to switch to lighter tires thats about all youve got left before your forced to swap out original parts completely.

i mean, you could do the small stuff that always works like grips, ti/al bolt tuning, saddle, but when your working with a 36lb bike dropping 70g on grips aint gonna do crap.... its all relative ya know?

whats your budget like?

well let's say i'm willing to go change all except the frame.. fork/shock and hubs. Rims.. questionable since i like the stoutness. the 36lb weigh-in was when i had a heavy wtb rocket v race on it... that was like 350grams. I was thinking of swapping out for a shadow v.. which i think is a road saddle.. around 190 grams. There was some talk about heavy casettes on this forum.. mine is a sram 7.0.

I can't imagine what is weighing my bike down.. and i was just gonna get a gravitydropper seatpost.. hahaha. Actually even the other 6.6s with saint cranks weighed less than mine... i'm thinking I should take this into the shop to have it weighed again... i did get back from a muddy ride and didn't completely wash everything off thoroughly before putting it up on the scale

as far as budget, the bike is only a few months old, so my budget is pretty slim. But if the cost to weight ratio is good, i'll do it. With the new tubes/tires, i think i may have saved 1/2lb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I agree with jersey. All the parts are considered heavy so to save any significant weight, you will have to replace everything. If you try to save significant weight by only changing a couple of items, then they will either not be suitable for the type of riding you do or they will simply look out of place.

A start would be replacing the 7.0 cassette with an XT when the time comes. Maybe swap the Thomson stem for a Syntace.

Members who have read this thread: 0