Help with Fork/Spacers/and weight...- Mtbr.com
    The Casual Rider

Help with Fork/Spacers/and weight...

Guys, I'm a bit of a newbie, so pardon the question if it's stupid..

Just go t a Moots with Fox fork... the shop that built it said that it was no biggie from a performance and weight standpoint to keep the fork "untrimmed" and so I have about a 3-cm popup form my stem (see pics below) that frankly looks kinda cool to me, but I don't want to have it if it's going to hamper my ride, it's quality and performance..

I'm satisfied with the position of the bar now, so assuming I have no intention to change it, shall I have it trimmed? Or is it like the shop owner said, better to keep the full length incase I decide to upgrade the fork soon and wana sell it?

Also, is the weight savings even worth sweating? And am I harming the integrity of the bike by not trimming and removing those spacers?

thanks a lot for your patience..

I came, I rode, and I crashed!
    My Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I always keep a small spacer on top for flexibility. The resale of a fork is significantly effected by the lengths of the STeerer tube. I always keep at least 7.75" to 8" and space the headset accordningly. It doesn't hurt the bike or performance to keep any amount on there but it will weigh a few extra grams which in this forum isn't acceptable.

I'd cut about 1/2 of that off if it keeps it around the 8" mark on the steerer tube. What size frame is it?

Faller - Expert Class

Ouch...

Gotta admit though, it seems that a shot from that to the sternum definitely would hurt!!!

Nice Moots!! Post more pics if ya get a chance!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'll agree with asahi above. the magical length for decent resale seems on forks to be 7.5" and longer. shorter than that, and seems like it's a tough sell.

cut some off, but keep a bit left for adjustment if you want, or later resale.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

The Casual Rider
    Thanks guys, got similar but more mixed advise on another forum I hit but for now I'll keep it as is, until I figure out my riding position since I may or may not raise and lower everything...

As for more pics, I have some posted in another thread, but for the life of me I can't find it now, and there are some on my website (go to my profile) so here are more: Only thing I ask for in return is any constructive weight saving suggestions! based on these pics..

I came, I rode, and I crashed!
    My Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0