Help on casette choice pls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Smile Help on casette choice pls

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so I guess it's appropriate to introduce myself. I live in Malta and been riding for over a year. I own a Giant SCR model and a Giant XTC hardtail. I have recently purchased a Giant Trance frame and will be shifting the XTC components onto the full suspension frame. My idea is to turn the XTC to a light version.
    Reading through some of the posts here, I managed to get some ideas and eventually already purchased a number of components and items.
    My concern lie on the crank and cassette. I was thinking of going for XTR. My question for you guys is would I'd be better off if I were to find a lighter cassette than the XTR, maybe a road version? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    THanks a mil

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The XTR 970 Ti with the aluminium carriers, is about as light as there are and it is extremely durable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for your help. Will stick to the XTR then.
    So far I've purchased KCNC brakes, bar and seat post and a selle italia seat. I have a Reba fork on my current XTC model, but am thinking of going for the lighter SID version now. The Reba never gave me any trouble, just the weight difference is considerable.
    Do any of you guys have any other reccomandations or any different point of view.
    ALan

himom!
    Apr 2006
    The XT cassette is way cheaper and only about 50 grams heavier.

What kind of wheels/tires/tubes are you using now?

A Real Winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    . . .only about 50 grams heavier.
    Do you know what forum you are posting in?! Go Dura Ace 9 speed 11-27, about 50 grams lighter than XTR 11-32.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

the train keeps rollin
    +1 for XT cassette, save money, spend extra on wheels or fork.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. As you can imagine I'm not that technical & your help is greatly appreciated.
    The current hardtail model has XT shifters, Juicy disk brakes, raceface crank, reba shok and alexrims with michelin XC tyres. I have to ditch even the rims as due to changing for v brakes now.
    So for I have purhcased the handlebar, post, seat and KCNC brakes and levers. My original idea was using the SID fork, the Mavic crossmax along with maxxis max lite tyres and also XTR as regards to changer.
    I will now switch to the Dura ace as regards to the cassette. Should any of you guys have any other suggestions, please fire away. I would be grateful.
    thanks

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Can't wait for the Sram powerdome cassette to makes it's way to mtb.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Can't wait for the Sram powerdome cassette to makes it's way to mtb.
    Great idea! The RED cassette is heat-treated steel and comes in an 11-26. Depending on your riding style, you could probably use that on your Mtn. bike. They are expensive ... I think retail is over $220 but I've seen them on eBay for $180ish.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have this on my bike

sold without lockring

144 gr
    Attached Images Attached Images

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobic
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. As you can imagine I'm not that technical & your help is greatly appreciated.
    The current hardtail model has XT shifters, Juicy disk brakes, raceface crank, reba shok and alexrims with michelin XC tyres. I have to ditch even the rims as due to changing for v brakes now.
    So for I have purhcased the handlebar, post, seat and KCNC brakes and levers. My original idea was using the SID fork, the Mavic crossmax along with maxxis max lite tyres and also XTR as regards to changer.
    I will now switch to the Dura ace as regards to the cassette. Should any of you guys have any other suggestions, please fire away. I would be grateful.
    thanks
    What RaceFace crank? It sounds like you are well on your way to a nice light bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What about the KCNC 177gr.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The current Race Face crank is a RACE XC, which came out with the bike. The whole weight issue came up when I've recently put togethert a Giant SCR carbon frame, with a hybird look. It's got a truvativ crank, mavic rims, 105s and all remaining carbon parts. It's pretty light, making it fast to sprint and easy on the hills.
    Still my passion is the trail and not the road. I've bought the Trance frame in order to have a good excuse to spend money on lightening the hardtail. Only thing is that I'm not that technical and the problem here in my country is that one has to be careful where to go shop for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    177gr sounds good. I'll check out some ebay sellers. Any suggestions as to where I can get one??

FIRENZE rulez !!
    here is kcnc 11-34

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i have this on my bike

sold without lockring

144 gr
    What material is that made from? I'm guessing aluminum.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    yes aluminium

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobic
    The current Race Face crank is a RACE XC, which came out with the bike. The whole weight issue came up when I've recently put togethert a Giant SCR carbon frame, with a hybird look. It's got a truvativ crank, mavic rims, 105s and all remaining carbon parts. It's pretty light, making it fast to sprint and easy on the hills.
    Still my passion is the trail and not the road. I've bought the Trance frame in order to have a good excuse to spend money on lightening the hardtail. Only thing is that I'm not that technical and the problem here in my country is that one has to be careful where to go shop for upgrades.
    The Race XC is a mid-level crank. It sounds like you are willing to drop a bit of coin on this bike, so I'd suggest upgrading to the new XTR crankset. You'll save about another 1/2 pound.

Here it is: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15143

banned

lightest

lightest 11-32: 135g

fella
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Great idea! The RED cassette is heat-treated steel and comes in an 11-26. Depending on your riding style, you could probably use that on your Mtn. bike. They are expensive ... I think retail is over $220 but I've seen them on eBay for $180ish.
    And it is 10-speed. Last time I checked, MTB components are still 9(and lower)-speed, luckily.
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by slyboots
    And it is 10-speed. Last time I checked, MTB components are still 9(and lower)-speed, luckily.
    Doh! You're right of course. never mind......
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Members who have read this thread: 0