• 03-18-2010
    louisssss
    Which has better flat protection/better sidewall protection?
    How is the Continental Race King Supersonic's flat protection compared to the Rubber Queen w/ Black Chili?
  • 03-18-2010
    Ansible
    The RKSS is an xc race tire and the RQ is an AM tire. Plus, it looks like only the 2.4 sizes of RQ have black chili - and those weigh 380 grams more than the 2.2 RK SS.

I have the RKSS 2.2 tires and they are pretty thin. That's ok for race day, but I wouldn't want to run them in really rocky environments where there's lots of stress on the sidewall. The RQ is a totally different deal though, I haven't tried them but an 850g AM tire is going to be way way more durable than the RQ.
  • 03-18-2010
    louisssss
    So whats an inbetween? i wont be racing, but i also dont want to carry all the weight around on my wheels
  • 03-18-2010
    louisssss
    Its going to be on my rear. But what would u recommend for the front?
  • 03-18-2010
    Ansible
    For trail riding, how about the WTB mutano (new tire for '10) in 2.4 and a nobby nic 2.4 snakeskin for the front? Both are 650-700 grams or so, both have extra sidewall protection, both are fairly large tires. I like the old mutano raptor 2.4 tires, I've had a few sets of those. As far as I can tell the mutano is an updated version of the mutano raptor, with bigger looking knobs and sidewall protection.

Both the mutano raptor and nobby nic are a breeze to set up tubeless with stans - I'll bet the new mutano is just as easy.
  • 03-18-2010
    louisssss
    i'm really looking to stick with conti's. will someone pls recommends me a good F&R setup w/ exact models?
  • 03-19-2010
    louisssss
    Okay so... Someone told me the 2.2 RQ has black chili... Is he right?
    RQ2.1 front
    Mk2.4 rear good?
  • 03-19-2010
    DavidR1
    You might have better luck in the wheel and tire forum. Neither of the tires your looking for are really in the realm of weight weenie.