Handlebar weight/width?- Mtbr.com
    Time to go farther
    Aug 2004

Handlebar weight/width?

I've got a couple easton bars sitting here, both on closeout from Pricepoint.

EC90sl 560mm flat bar - 97.5g
    EC70 Monkey Lite XC 660mm 3/4" Rise - 163.8g

The monkey lite SL riser bar is supposed to be 600mm and 135g?

At first you would think the riser bar is pretty heavy compared to the flat bar but it's 4 inches wider! Has anyone ever trimmed down the 660mm bar and weighed it after? What did you get for weights? I'm not sure I'm going to need all 660mm but I'm going to try mine before I cut it down. The 560mm bar is certainly the narrowest bar I'm willing to ride but 660mm may be wider than I need too. I'm curious if a cut down EC70 will weigh the same as the $150 SL.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Recovering couch patato
    Risers have all the beef in the centre, as bends suck for bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I've got a couple easton bars sitting here, both on closeout from Pricepoint.

EC90sl 560mm flat bar - 97.5g
    EC70 Monkey Lite XC 660mm 3/4" Rise - 163.8g

The monkey lite SL riser bar is supposed to be 600mm and 135g?

At first you would think the riser bar is pretty heavy compared to the flat bar but it's 4 inches wider! Has anyone ever trimmed down the 660mm bar and weighed it after? What did you get for weights? I'm not sure I'm going to need all 660mm but I'm going to try mine before I cut it down. The 560mm bar is certainly the narrowest bar I'm willing to ride but 660mm may be wider than I need too. I'm curious if a cut down EC70 will weigh the same as the $150 SL.
    How much the EC90 costs?

mtbr member
    660 mm? 660 mm??????

Dude, that's not a handlebar - it's a FLAGPOLE!

A nice one, but still a flagpole! Geez, I think bus and truck steering wheels are narrower than that.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can't help you. Good luck though!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    660 mm? 660 mm??????

Dude, that's not a handlebar - it's a FLAGPOLE!

A nice one, but still a flagpole! Geez, I think bus and truck steering wheels are narrower than that.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can't help you. Good luck though!
    funny how "long", "short", whatever, is dependent on which forum you are in. I can't even imagine running anything less than 660mm on any bike but like a lot of things, width is personal preference. My bars range from 660mm to 710mm with the 710mm only weighing in at 230 grams.

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    funny how "long", "short", whatever, is dependent on which forum you are in. I can't even imagine running anything less than 660mm on any bike but like a lot of things, width is personal preference. My bars range from 660mm to 710mm with the 710mm only weighing in at 230 grams.

True true. The 660's seem wide to me so far. I will probably cut them down about an inch on each side but I'll try it a little at a time. I have a thing for hooking trees with wide bars and my shoulders are pretty narrow
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    True true. The 660's seem wide to me so far. I will probably cut them down about an inch on each side but I'll try it a little at a time. I have a thing for hooking trees with wide bars and my shoulders are pretty narrow
    of course they feel wide if they are the widest you have run so far.....I remember when I went up to about 645mm and thought they were wide.....now anything under 690mm seems too narrow. If possible, give it some time to acclimate to see if you like it.

cheers

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    of course they feel wide if they are the widest you have run so far.....I remember when I went up to about 645mm and thought they were wide.....now anything under 690mm seems too narrow. If possible, give it some time to acclimate to see if you like it.
    Definitely. I have been in the spirit of trying new things, both weight weenie and not. I am running a 2.2 tire for the first time. It is strange. I am not sure I like it. I have always ridden on fast, semi slick type tires or lightly treaded. But this wide tire thing sure does keep the pinch flats away! I don't think I have gotten 1 pinch flat yet.

I will try the 660mm bars for a while. They are on my singlespeed which everyone says wide bars are good for.
    On-One Lurcher SS
    1984 Trek 560

Peace & Love
    asbolutely.....if they are on your single speed, though again it is all personal preference no matter what any yahoo on mtbr says, 660mm is on the narrow side if anything so please dont cut em yet.

Recovering couch patato
    I like 660mm bars evne with gears, even with extra barends. If you miss a shift just befor a steep explosive climb, a wider and heavy bar will help you better than a narrow light one can win back for you all over the rest of the ride in pure weight.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply Pivvay, I'll remember it...

Members who have read this thread: 0