mtbr member
    Oct 2005

grip suggestions

I am building a new bike and see that alot of people here use foam grips... I understand the weight savings and cost efficiancy but how well do they hold up in rain, heat, and while living in AZ not alot of it, cold. Do they dry out and become uncomfortable? any issues with spinning on the bars? I use lock ons on all other bikes and might be looking for a change.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    for what type of riding? My mind simply cant comprehend why anybody would choose to not run lock-on grips but then again, my mind is small and not everybody does the same riding I suppose but nevertheless, they will always be on all my bikes. Even my 2 attempts at weight weeniehood (23.5 lb FS with disc and 20.5 # 29er hardtail) have lockons and guess what, they would still weigh about the same. I guess it just depends on what parts of the bike you feel it may be worth the sacrifice but for me, no way am I gonna sacrifice anything on the grips.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I went from loving Oury grips, then to also loving the Oury lock-ons. I then went to Ritchey WSC foam grips, wow, those things are sooo comfortable! And now I'm using Titec porkgrinds, which aren't too bad considering their weight, but not nearly as nice as the ritcheys in terms of comfort.

So if your after a nice thick, soft, durable and don't mind maybe having to use glue to stop them sliding in a seriuos downpoor, then go for the Ritchey WSC grips.

If you like a more narrow, slightly harder grip, go Porkgrinds.

And if your so lazy and don't ever want the hassle of glueing grips down, go lock-ons

who ya callin lazy!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    who ya callin lazy!
    Hehe... i will admit, i HATE working with grips, but non lock-on grips do help prevent UGI

If you really want light weight grips, and the bonus of lock-on go for New EPOCH Carbon Grip....

oh no! PLEASE do not resurect that thread on those idiotic grips!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

WCS Grips

I got a set of Ritchey WCS grips and they are:

a. light;
    b. soft;
    c. easy-ish to install; and
    d. solid (they don't move if you apply a bit of hairspray.

I got them at Cambria bikes and I would recommend these grips. I have tried quite a few.
    For ways in which technology has improved your life, press 4 now

Members who have read this thread: 0