Got my mibros today- Mtbr.com
    Rod
    mtbr member

Got my mibros today

My mibros came in the mail today and I weighed them. Let me start off by saying my scale isn't a nice scale like we see on this forums pics. I'm just a beginner weight weenie and I only have a spring scale, but it does serve it's purpose. On my scale the tires weighed in at 495 grams and 500 grams roughly. That's still 20 grams under the claimed weight for the 2.1 tire size. I'll write a full review whenever I get to take them out on the trail. I already rode earlier today so you may have to wait a couple days on a review b/c of the weather.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    IRC mibros are the deal...my favorite tire!

mtbr member
    I did a mt bike duathlon Sunday with the 2.1/1.95 combination. The course had deep sand and when I previewed the course I thought I really should have gone back to the 2.25/2.1 combo. During the race I just relaxed through the deep sand stretches and made up places over those who seemed to be fighting it. The skinny Mibro's worked out pretty well, I was 13th overall and 1st in my age group.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Hopefully I'll get to take them out tomorrow, but if not I'll definitely take them out next week. Next week is looking good b/c the temp is suppose to be in the mid 60's without rain. I went for a ride today, but a friend wanted to ride so I didn't want to hold him up. Also we must've gotten some rain last night because a couple areas were soft. I wouldn't want my first ride on new tires to be in sketchy conditions. Very nice finish sweeney. I've only participated in one race and I'm wanting to use these as my race tires.

mtbr member
    Don't be afraid of the Mibro's in damp conditions. I use them in all conditions except mud. And since I rarely ride on muddy trails, I use them full time nine month's of the year and use another a set of Michelin's all winter. I'm not very sophisticated about tires but for me a little slip here or there is way made up by the light weight and nice rolling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are better on wet roots then the Crossmark I have on now. They have that sticky line down the middle which I think actually helps to give you traction on wet roots and rocks.

They do pack up a little bit in the mud though, but what tire doesn't.

Rod
    mtbr member
    thanks for the replies....i'll just have to give them a try then....... oh yea, I mounted the tires this evening and my first reaction was wow that's a skinny 2.1. I thought my fire xc pro was skinny, it is compared to the nevegal 2.1, but this tire is skinnier, but not by much.

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    I too like the Mibro for the price/weight

Question to fellow Mibro users: Do you run the back tire in the front or rear direction and why?

Rod
    mtbr member
    I just mouted mine yesterday and I put the rear tire on in the rear direction. I'm sure if I installed it in the front direction it would be much faster. Oh yea, if you want to view my review check out this post on wheels and tires. There's no reason to have 2 threads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    arrows rolling down...the fast way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSprocket
    arrows rolling down...the fast way.
    The faster the bette , they work quite well that way.

I've cut a 1.9mibro last year on pavement (probably bad luck) and lost confidence in them. I will try them again this season when my python will be worn.

ARe we talking about the regular mibro or the mibro marathon ?
    Regular Mibro 2.25 are monster.

mtbr member
    I run them the way IRC says; front forward, rear backward. I think that the other way on the rear would loose way too much grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the mibro is an amazing tread design, what a shame that the IRC guys got the "dual compound" stuff backwards!
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    the mibro is an amazing tread design, what a shame that the IRC guys got the "dual compound" stuff backwards!
    What do you mean, exactly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...That the Mibro has very soft center knobs (super high wear, higher rolling resistance) and harder side knobs (lower traction on wet surface)
    The usual way of making a dual compound tire to make harder center knobs and softer side knobs.Kenda,Specialized etc..do that.

Schwalbe uses a different technology that is supposed to be the Sacred Graal of multi compound tires: blue=light & low rr; yellow=hard compound; red=hard compound
    showImage.gif
    Mr Bohle pls send me a 500$ bill for this plug, thanks
    flyMTBfish

Rod
    mtbr member
    I didn't see a problem with my mibros in damp conditions on the side knobbies, hard tread.

mtbr member
    ...That the Mibro has very soft center knobs (super high wear, higher rolling resistance) and harder side knobs (lower traction on wet surface)
    The usual way of making a dual compound tire to make harder center knobs and softer side knobs.Kenda,Specialized etc..do that.

Schwalbe uses a different technology that is supposed to be the Sacred Graal of multi compound tires: blue=light & low rr; yellow=hard compound; red=hard compound
    For the most part you are correct, except that the red compound is a soft, grippy compound. Maxxis also has triple compound technology. The key to the performance of triple compound tires is the light, yet hard, base layer compound. This compound adds rigidity to the knobs while decreasing hysteresis, which decreases rolling resistance. But if your factory doesn't have the luxury of a triple compound extruder, then obviously this base layer is not an option.

So if you're limited to two compounds, you can choose to have a soft center tread and harder side knobs, or vice versa. Yes, Kenda and Specialized chose to manufacture tires with a harder center tread and softer side knobs, but this configuration is not always ideal. For example, using a soft compound for the side knobs could result in the side knobs folding over during hard cornering which will cause a loss of traction. And using a harder compound for the center tread will result in slower tread wear and decreased rolling resistance, but your climbing traction will suffer.

One can tell that the Mibro was designed for maximum traction, so I think that the choice of a soft compound for the center and a harder compound for the side knobs was a good one. (Disclaimer- I've never ridden one; I'm only speculating here.) But obviously Kenda thinks along the same lines: At the Taipei Cycle Show Kenda debuted the "Nevegal Cornering King." This tire utilizes a super hard silica-based compound for the side knobs. This will prevent the side knobs from folding over during hard cornering, and allow them to dig into the soil and provide good traction.

In summary, tire design is pretty complex and one single construction technique will not always work for every tread design.

mtbr member
    I too ran my Mibros the fast direction, F/R...

Personally, I felt the Mibro Marathons were an even better tire, but at the time weren't available in a 2.25. I ignorantly ran them with Stan's and suffered a Stan's blowout, and then I think because of that when I went back to tubes I had another blowout.

Can anyone even find the Marathons anywhere anymore? I don't even see them on the IRC website which, the last time I checked, hadn't been updated in years.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

No good in rock gardens..
    I haven't found either to be true TBH. They seemed to wear quick at the start and then settle down a bit. And TBH I'm happy to get six months out of a set of tyres in any case, due to all the rocik and crap around here. They are lasting a lot better (and gripping better too...) than the 2.0 Spiders I had a while back.

As for RR, they are one of the easiest pedallers I've run - certainly better than the 2.1 High Rollers I had on before and comparable to the likes of the low knobbed Tioga Red Phoenix, which seems similar in size and casing makeup. (and that has the lifespan of a damselfly too... )
    Less isn't MOAR

Harrumph
    I'm glad to see this thread still going. I try and give the Mibro's props at every opportunity. They could be lighter, and they wear quickly, but bang for the buck they are awesome. For 20.00 a pop, change them early and often. I've been doing this for a few years now, the race bike gets the new ones...then they trickle down to the Wifes bike...then to the SS/Fixie...then the commuter....eventually to the corner of the garage.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Members who have read this thread: 0