Going on a diet- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Going on a diet

  1. #1
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631

    Going on a diet

    I'm trying to build a freakishly light XC race bike. So far I have the complete build down to 18.65 lbs. I've already dropped the little ring and have a 2x9 setup: 34/46 and 12-28 in the back. Since I am only a buck-ninety with my gear on, I thought I could do some home-brew modifications:

    • File every third tooth down on the front chainrings.
    • Cut 1.5" off the ends of the brake levers since I only use my index finger.
    • Use Cinelli cork instead of grips.
    • Remove the water bottle cage and screws.
    • Drill holes in the seatpost since I rarely sit down during a race.
    • May consider eliminating the seatpost and saddle completely.


    I already shaved all the lugs off the tires, but that still didn't help enough. So I ditched the tires. Also got rid of the chain. I stripped all the paint off since that was tipping me over over the 18.75 lb mark. any other suggestions?
    Here's a pic of the bike.






    ps. This post contained obvious amounts of sarcasm to poke fun at those who take weight savings to the extreme.
    Last edited by Upchuck; 12-20-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  2. #2
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Yawn.

    Please search the archives of this forum for endless similar attempts at sarcastic humour related to weight weenie syndrome, many of which were much more creative and funny than yours.

  3. #3
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Yawn.

    Please search the archives of this forum for endless similar attempts at sarcastic humour related to weight weenie syndrome, many of which were much more creative and funny than yours.
    Yay! The newb got the point of my post! This forum tends to reek of elitist-parts snobbery. I crack up every time I accidentally hit the wrong forum on the drop down menu. If one actually needs to drop a quarter pound of bike weight to go faster, maybe try pedaling faster instead.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  4. #4
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Great, mission accomplished. We all now understand what losers we are. In the future I will take your advice and just pedal faster.

    Thank you for setting me straight.

    As for your weight dilemma I believe the best thing for you would be to keep the seatpost, just get rid of the saddle. I'm certain that with that simple yet effective mod you will have a bike that you will look forward to riding several times a day. I'm sure that all of your friends will be envious of you and your new ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    As for your weight dilemma I believe the best thing for you would be to keep the seatpost, just get rid of the saddle. I'm certain that with that simple yet effective mod you will have a bike that you will look forward to riding several times a day. I'm sure that all of your friends will be envious of you and your new ride.
    now thats good advice for the dude with weight issues!
    no machiavellian here.

  6. #6
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Great, mission accomplished. We all now understand what losers we are. In the future I will take your advice and just pedal faster.

    Thank you for setting me straight.

    As for your weight dilemma I believe the best thing for you would be to keep the seatpost, just get rid of the saddle. I'm certain that with that simple yet effective mod you will have a bike that you will look forward to riding several times a day. I'm sure that all of your friends will be envious of you and your new ride.
    Hey, if it's good enough for Cindy Whitehead, it's good enough for me! Thanks for the suggestion. Now if I can only squeeze my arse into one of those cute spandex outfits you boys wear...
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  7. #7
    That's right....
    Reputation: Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Yawn.

    Please search the archives of this forum for endless similar attempts at sarcastic humour related to weight weenie syndrome, many of which were much more creative and funny than yours.
    other posts exist like this? id kinda like to see those!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drunkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Yay! The newb got the point of my post! This forum tends to reek of elitist-parts snobbery. I crack up every time I accidentally hit the wrong forum on the drop down menu. If one actually needs to drop a quarter pound of bike weight to go faster, maybe try pedaling faster instead.
    you got that off a fortune cookie, dont lie. here's one i found: when accusing others of snobbery, one must always remember to act as a snob oneself.

    another one was: you like chinese food.

  9. #9
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    you got that off a fortune cookie, dont lie. here's one i found: when accusing others of snobbery, one must always remember to act as a snob oneself.

    another one was: you like chinese food.
    How right you, I mean the fortune cookie, are...I mean is...or something like that.
    Truer words were never spoken.

    One I really liked was: One who gets offended by poke in the ribs, is offended by what he sees in himeself.

    And this one: If you can't laugh at yourself, let others do it for you.

    Boy, I should give up my day job and write Hallmark cards, or fortune cookies, or troll-posts.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  10. #10
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Yay! The newb got the point of my post!
    Love it when someone smugly pulls the "newb" card to try to make themselves feel superior. You were saying something about elitist snobbery below? Gee Upchuck, can I please join your club?

    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    This forum tends to reek of elitist-parts snobbery. I crack up every time I accidentally hit the wrong forum on the drop down menu.
    That's what 99% of this this entire web site is about across all forums, in some form or another. Talk about having your head in the sand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    If one actually needs to drop a quarter pound of bike weight to go faster, maybe try pedaling faster instead.
    I choose both - drop weight off bike where sensible to do so given my weight, riding style and terrain, plus learn to ride faster and smoother. I have a hell of a lot of fun doing it too. Sorry to hear you're missing the boat.

    Happy trolling.

  11. #11
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Love it when someone smugly pulls the "newb" card to try to make themselves feel superior. You were saying something about elitist snobbery below? Gee Upchuck, can I please join your club?
    That's what 99% of this this entire web site is about across all forums, in some form or another. Talk about having your head in the sand.
    Sorry buddy. There's only room for one in my club and even I can't afford the dues. I'll let you know when there's an opening. I might be able to get you in if you post some detailed pics of your VP, ASR-SL and Riddler. Oh, and your address, work hours and where you hide the key to the garage would help. Yeah, that should do it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    I choose both - drop weight off bike where sensible to do so given my weight, riding style and terrain, plus learn to ride faster and smoother. I have a hell of a lot of fun doing it too. Sorry to hear you're missing the boat.
    BOAT?! You mean you can afford a boat, too?! Damn, you guys are way too posh for me. I'll just take my measley two-wheeled contraption over to the Political-Socio-Economic-Religion board. Those guys are a lot more tolerant than youse guys, eh?
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drunkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    How right you, I mean the fortune cookie, are...I mean is...or something like that.
    Truer words were never spoken.

    One I really liked was: One who gets offended by poke in the ribs, is offended by what he sees in himeself.

    And this one: If you can't laugh at yourself, let others do it for you.

    Boy, I should give up my day job and write Hallmark cards, or fortune cookies, or troll-posts.

    almost forgot: it matters not the heights one reaches in cycling, for one is still a cyclist and therefore apt to be hit by a slurpee.

  13. #13
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Sorry buddy. There's only room for one in my club and even I can't afford the dues. I'll let you know when there's an opening. I might be able to get you in if you post some detailed pics of your VP, ASR-SL and Riddler. Oh, and your address, work hours and where you hide the key to the garage would help. Yeah, that should do it.

    BOAT?! You mean you can afford a boat, too?! Damn, you guys are way too posh for me. I'll just take my measley two-wheeled contraption over to the Political-Socio-Economic-Religion board. Those guys are a lot more tolerant than youse guys, eh?
    Hmmm... now that we're into comparing MTBR profiles, I see some curious tidbits on yours such as EC70 bars, 517 rims, etc. Frickin' hypocrite! Rhyno-Lites and some Azonic DH bars would have saved you major $$$ since you're not concerned by a little bit of extra weight. Just pedal harder, eh?

    Bringing your intellect to this board is like taking a pocket knife to a gun fight.

    Run along now junior.

  14. #14
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,696


    I'm just going to ignore EVERYTHING you said, but what is in the 'restricted area', looks like a toilet??


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    54
    i too am curious about this restricted area


    not sure whats in there, but i'm pretty sure i need one.

    ;-)


    oh that must be where the real lite **** is.

    BAAAAWWWWHHHHHHHH

    no really man whats in the box!?
    no machiavellian here.

  16. #16
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by lowmach
    no really man whats in the box!?
    Must be his life-size Tammy Faye-Baker blow-up doll.

  17. #17
    That's right....
    Reputation: Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    779
    thats where the puppies and candy are stored when not in the back of the minivan

  18. #18
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I'm just going to ignore EVERYTHING you said, but what is in the 'restricted area', looks like a toilet??
    Hate to admit it, but Circlip almost guessed correctly. I'll give you a clue: look closely at the "cabinet" and you should be able to figure it out...
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  19. #19
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Hate to admit it, but Circlip almost guessed correctly. I'll give you a clue: look closely at the "cabinet" and you should be able to figure it out...
    Air compressor and tank?

  20. #20
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Air compressor and tank?

    DING DING DING!!! Give the canuck a prize! What do we have for our contestant, Marv?
    Well, Jim. How about a weekend supply of Canadian beer packed in a deluxe, genuine Canadian icebox?



    But that's not all! We've also included winter transportation for those middle-of-the-night beer runs! Why here's Circlip and his pals heading out for more of Canada's finest!



    So let's raise our glasses in tribute to our friends up north, and say a holiday prayer!
    Our Lager,
    Which art in barrels,
    Hallowed be thy drink.
    Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk),
    At home as in the tavern.
    Give us this day our foamy head,
    And forgive us our spillages,
    As we forgive those who spill against us.
    And lead us not to incarceration,
    But deliver us from hangovers.
    For thine is the beer,
    The bitter and The lager.
    Forever and ever,
    Barmen.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  21. #21
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    DING DING DING!!! Give the canuck a prize! What do we have for our contestant, Marv?
    Well, Jim. How about a weekend supply of Canadian beer packed in a deluxe, genuine Canadian icebox?
    I'll take a case of Labatt 50, bottles please.

    Crap! I thought I had managed to have all the copies of this snapshot destroyed (BTW that's me bringing up the <ahem> rear in the sled) Aw shucks, I guess it's nice to see reminders of the good old days. When people say that Canadians are the best riders it's possible that may have been talking about more than just biking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    But that's not all! We've also included winter transportation for those middle-of-the-night beer runs! Why here's Circlip and his pals heading out for more of Canada's finest!
    By the way, is this you in the picture below?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Circlip; 12-23-2005 at 01:35 PM.

  22. #22
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    By the way, is this you in the picture below?
    Need you ask? BTW, I'm still waiting for the negatives. You promised me the 500 large included the negatives. Some professional you turned out to be. I should have went with the Walmart photo booth.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    729
    Damn ! This thread is going downhill pretty fast.

  24. #24
    SUBLIM8er
    Reputation: Axis II's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,203
    Quote Originally Posted by konaken
    Damn ! This thread is going downhill pretty fast.
    This thread started at the bottom. Why do people persist in feeding the trolls? Didn't your parents tell you that it just reinforces trollish behavior?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Limon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    742

    Who makes this frame

    what kind of frame is this? what brand? I like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,118
    Jeez, How did I miss this little gem.....

  27. #27
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Limon
    what kind of frame is this? what brand? I like it.
    That, my boys, is a Tange Prestige steel framed VooDoo Bizango in the buff. My buddy broke the brake post off the right seatstay. So we sent it in to a frame welder and had Paul's SS dropouts welded on during the repair.


    Took it to a professional painter and had it stripped down and dressed up with a clear powder coat. She's a beaut! Here she is in all her glory:
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Limon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    That, my boys, is a Tange Prestige steel framed VooDoo Bizango in the buff. My buddy broke the brake post off the right seatstay. So we sent it in to a frame welder and had Paul's SS dropouts welded on during the repair.


    Took it to a professional painter and had it stripped down and dressed up with a clear powder coat. She's a beaut! Here she is in all her glory:
    nice frame, but the fork is to heavy.

  29. #29
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Limon
    nice frame, but the fork is to heavy.
    Hehehe, I hope you're kidding. If you look closely, you'll see that this bike was built from spare parts. The "Going on a Diet" post was purely a jab at those who go overboard on their builds.

    Stay tuned for my upcoming build. It should come in sub 19lbs. We'll see....
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  30. #30
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Stay tuned for my upcoming build. It should come in sub 19lbs. We'll see....
    Even so. You're still a tool.

  31. #31
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Even so. You're still a tool.
    ...ouch. Did I step on your toes in a past post that provoked such an attack?

    Or are you just trying to keep this quality post alive?
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  32. #32
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    ...ouch. Did I step on your toes in a past post that provoked such an attack?

    Or are you just trying to keep this quality post alive?
    No toe stepping at all.
    I was simply amazed that the sole reason you created the post was to tease the people for whom the forum was created.

  33. #33
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    No toe stepping at all.
    I was simply amazed that the sole reason you created the post was to tease the people for whom the forum was created.
    I would expect you to have thicker skin than that. Maybe you missed the last line in my post:

    Hehehe, I hope you're kidding. If you look closely, you'll see that this bike was built from spare parts. The "Going on a Diet" post was purely a jab at those who go overboard on their builds.
    Stay tuned for my upcoming build. It should come in sub 19lbs. We'll see....


    Did you miss the irony there?

    Maybe you missed the part where Circlip and I were poking fun at each other. He and I were actually PMing each other on the side. He was having as much fun with it as I was.

    Obviously you didn't catch my serious inquiry on the Drivetrain forum regarding the lightest, strongest crankset I could get for my hardtail. When it comes to my hardtails, I'm as much a weight weenie as the next guy in here.

    Tell you what, I'll step back in line so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers, Father.
    Last edited by Upchuck; 01-30-2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  34. #34
    bleeding eventually stops
    Reputation: dr.dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    251

    Ha Ha!....Whew

    That was a friggin funny post. Loved the little spat about snobbery too.
    I had a Tange frame that was stripped and powdercoated like yours. You will in all likelyhood get rust. The clearcoat doesn't have a basecoat to bond to. Stuff flakes off like crazy. Does look real smooth.
    This post reminded me of this bike messanger in nyc who bought a brand new Fat Chance "Yo Eddy" from my shop and sandblasted the paint off and just painted the frame with white krylon. That bike was so friggin cool.
    He'd be at the stoplight with some guy on a Ti . These guys literally wouldn't know what hit them. That boy was mad crazy fast.
    There is something about a really smooth ride. And even better knowing that it doesn't come in the packages you often think of. I never really played the wieght game but then again I'm 200lbs. But I have seen a lot of stuff break, both as a racer and a mechanic.
    Last edited by dr.dirt; 01-30-2006 at 10:29 AM.

  35. #35
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    I would expect you to have thicker skin than that. Maybe you missed the last line in my post:

    Hehehe, I hope you're kidding. If you look closely, you'll see that this bike was built from spare parts. The "Going on a Diet" post was purely a jab at those who go overboard on their builds.
    Stay tuned for my upcoming build. It should come in sub 19lbs. We'll see....


    Did you miss the irony there?

    Maybe you missed the part where Circlip and I were poking fun at each other. He and I were actually PMing each other on the side. He was having as much fun with it as I was.

    Obviously you didn't catch my serious inquiry on the Drivetrain forum regarding the lightest, strongest crankset I could get for my hardtail. When it comes to my hardtails, I'm as much a weight weenie as the next guy in here.

    Tell you what, I'll step back in line so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers, Father.
    My skin is fine. I don't even have skin in the game.
    My rigid singlespeed is 30lbs.
    My XC bike is 28lbs.
    My road bike is 22lbs.

    I look to save weight for my wife's rides.

    But I happened upon your post here.
    Nope, I somehow missed your "serious" post in the Drivetrain forum.
    I'll need to do more scouring in the future to make sure if/when you are serious and not just "having fun."

    My feathers are fine and not ruffled.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.