FSA Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad- Mtbr.com
    On your left.
    Jan 2004

FSA Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad

What is up with this BB? Anyone installed one or know anything. I see the weight listed on weightweenies, so sombody must have one. Is this difficult to find new for '05 model better than the ubiquitous '04 model?
    M

luvsingletrack

I have one

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    What is up with this BB? Anyone installed one or know anything. I see the weight listed on weightweenies, so sombody must have one. Is this difficult to find new for '05 model better than the ubiquitous '04 model?
    I bought one in hopes to use it for my new singlespeed. I seemed to have overlooked the fact that my frame needs a 108mm spindle as opposed to the usual 113. oops. The actual bottom bracket is really solid, spins nicely. I think FSA lists 199g on their site. I don't recall exact weight according to my digital scale-but it was over 199. I think it is closer to 225-230g range? Unfortunately, I didn't have any actual ride time on it-so I can't give it a fair assessment. It looks really nice for what it's worth, which is absolutely nothing. (I'll sell it to you for cheap if you want to be the one to test it out! Sorry for the spam guys-I'll be posting an ad soon)

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Mega Quad is a good design- FSA figured ISIS out.

FSA appears to have worked out some of the issues with ISIS bottom brackets (ironically as ISIS is on it's way out). With their "Platinum" series (not the platinum pro or megaquad), they use the chromoly axel as the bearing race and use full sized bearings (much like the shimano octalinks, which are solid as hell). The result is an ISIS bb with the life of its shimano counterpart.

The Platinum pro MegaQuad series uses dual sleeves of roller bearings (four sets in all, hence the "quad"). This is because they base this series off the top end Ti version. Ti spindles cannot be used reliably as bearing races, so they opted for four sets of bearings in sleeves instead. They also vastly improved the external seals, and the sleeves for the bearings are sealed as well. I have the Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad myself, and it spins very nicely and is very light. Also very easy to install, and they include a tube of ti-prep and lightweight alloy bolts. Not as light as the AC or Deda bb, but should outlast either of those by a long shot because of the design. Also, FSA has good service and covers the bb for two years. I haven't had mine long enough to tell how it'll hold up in the super long run, but so far so good, and the design is solid. I like it, and would recommend it as a possible weight saver for an ISIS user.
    A hardtail is forever

On your left.
    Jan 2004

where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    FSA appears to have worked out some of the issues with ISIS bottom brackets (ironically as ISIS is on it's way out). With their "Platinum" series (not the platinum pro or megaquad), they use the chromoly axel as the bearing race and use full sized bearings (much like the shimano octalinks, which are solid as hell). The result is an ISIS bb with the life of its shimano counterpart.

The Platinum pro MegaQuad series uses dual sleeves of roller bearings (four sets in all, hence the "quad"). This is because they base this series off the top end Ti version. Ti spindles cannot be used reliably as bearing races, so they opted for four sets of bearings in sleeves instead. They also vastly improved the external seals, and the sleeves for the bearings are sealed as well. I have the Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad myself, and it spins very nicely and is very light. Also very easy to install, and they include a tube of ti-prep and lightweight alloy bolts. Not as light as the AC or Deda bb, but should outlast either of those by a long shot because of the design. Also, FSA has good service and covers the bb for two years. I haven't had mine long enough to tell how it'll hold up in the super long run, but so far so good, and the design is solid. I like it, and would recommend it as a possible weight saver for an ISIS user.
    Sounds great, thanks. So where did you get it - my local shops are having difficulty getting one.
    M

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    I have the Platinum Pro Ti MegaQuad myself, and it spins very nicely and is very light
    how light is "very light" exactly?