FSA K force light vs XTR 970 crankset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

FSA K force light vs XTR 970 crankset

Which one would you use? anyone with both?

mtbr member
    I use XTR due to the lower price. Wouldn't mind an K-Force Light 2x9 though.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

No longer 26
    I'd rather go 26/38 or 26/40 on the XTR than having the proprietary bolt pattern and 29/44 limitation of the K-Force. I do not think I'dever go back to a triple after using 24/36 ringed 2x9 on my 29ers the last 2 years

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

if price was similar

3x9 vs 3x9,would you prefer FSA?

I thought about going 2x9, is that easy to do? Do you just buy a 2x9 crankset and put it on? if you use a 3x9 crankset, do you put a bash guard in place of the big ring or do you just ignore the granny?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    All you have to do to go 2 x 9 is remove one front chainring, seriously!

Most guys in my area, replace the big ring with a light bash guard.

If you can afford the XTR M970 they use the standard 104 BCD and allows you plenty of ring size choice.
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tolleyman
    All you have to do to go 2 x 9 is remove one front chainring, seriously!

and limit your front derail................

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The K-Force Lights have ceramic bearings, which spin up very nicely. I used both between last year and this year and I found the FSAs spun very quickly. Caveat: the XTRs were 175s while the FSAs were 170s, with the 170s being much better for my short legs. Still, the bearing on the FSAs seemed to make the cranks spin extremely easily. Stiffness was the same for both. The stance on the FSAs might be a little more narrow, although I don't have any numbers to back that up. I wouldn't go for 2X9 as I always find at least a few races where I need all the gears I have, especially races more than 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XTR- 175 Q Factor
    FSA- 169 Q Factor

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    XTR- 175 Q Factor
    FSA- 169 Q Factor
    Might not seem like much, but the extra 6 mm made my XTRs feel like I was riding rodeo.

mtbr member
    you can get the k-froce lite in a 104mm 4 bolt. and swap the rings out like you would with the XTR's
    Up side to XTR you can sell the stock rings(redicoulously overpriced rings) and buy ceramics for the BB as an upgrade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    XTR- 175 Q Factor
    FSA- 169 Q Factor
    Actually I thought M970 XTR cranks had a Q Factor of 170mm
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

ups and downs
    I have two sets of XTR 970 and they both measured 169.5mm or 170mm wide, same as the RF Deus they replaced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been running the K-Force Light cranks for about 3 months now. I do XC racing and training. These cranks spin so free, especially under load. The ceramic BB is great. I managed to get mine for $450 at that time

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i can maybe understand ceramic bb bearings for some weight savings and longevity, but can you really notice that they spin that much better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There is a post on Youtube that shows them spinning. But yes you can. They are awesome cranks.

mtbr member
    Just ordered the Team Issue MTB crankset- will replace bearings with ceramic ones when they need replacing.

the train keeps rollin
    XTR all the way.

FSA is overpriced, paying for carbon bling, no performance advantage, very little weight savings.

As for the Ceramic bearings. I had a Token Ceramic BB, it was toast after about 500 miles.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you can feel a difference when the chain is installed or just by spinning the cranks with no chain? people say they can't tell a difference between steel bearings vs ceramics on road wheels so that makes me even more skeptical for a crankset.

mtbr member
    Ive got ceramic bearings in my XTR cranks - yes i can notice the difference off the bike and on it.

Off the bike without the chain on the ring flick the cranks and they spin for about 30+ spins - the stock BB spins twice.

On the bike i can defo feel it - the whole drivetrain feels easier to push, thats why i then got ceramics in everything else

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Ive got ceramic bearings in my XTR cranks - yes i can notice the difference off the bike and on it.

Off the bike without the chain on the ring flick the cranks and they spin for about 30+ spins - the stock BB spins twice.

On the bike i can defo feel it - the whole drivetrain feels easier to push, thats why i then got ceramics in everything else

Let's see these 30+ spins on video
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    if the stock bb only spins twice, i think something is wrong with it.

mtbr member
    No problem - it wont be till next week when i get back home as everything is in boxes right now (moving)

I did make a video before and put it on Youtube but i deleted it. This one however shows the exact same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YtY7ROOR5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwZCFC6HZ2Y

This last vid is great at showing how much better Ceramic is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zfam...eature=related

the train keeps rollin
    I know my stock XTR BB spins more than twice, that is for sure. Definitely not like a square taper, but more than twice 4 sure.

Sounds like too much pre-load.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    XTR all the way.

FSA is overpriced, paying for carbon bling, no performance advantage, very little weight savings.

As for the Ceramic bearings. I had a Token Ceramic BB, it was toast after about 500 miles.
    Well, I got my "poor man's" Team Issue for way less than I could get an XTR though I do know that the K-Force Light is more expensive. Bearings- I'll try the ceramics or if they are simply too much money, I'll see if Phil Wood makes bearings for the Team Issue when new ones are needed. The Team Issue was significantly less than what I could get the XTR for. The K-Force was a bit higher than the XTR and not worth the weight savings for me.

XTR- not a fan of that titanium ring though I suppose Blackspires could be used when replacement time comes up.
    Carbon crankset- my main worry is that sometimes, Aluminum inserts loosen up or de-bond over time.

the train keeps rollin

The wheel with the ABEC bearings looks like it has been it service for quite some time, compared to a silky new ceramic bearing.

No doubt ceramic spins smoother, but 30 spins versus 2, is a load of crrapp!

There's been several studies, I can remember the exact figures, but the difference was not all that much, in the single digits for drag.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, not worth the extra cost for me. i'd rather invest my money elsewhere on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dunno - not got a standard one anymore - preload is fine currently though. The point being that the standard bearings suck - check it out flick your own cranks and see how the friction brings them to a hault.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No problem - it wont be till next week when i get back home as everything is in boxes right now (moving)

I did make a video before and put it on Youtube but i deleted it. This one however shows the exact same thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YtY7ROOR5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwZCFC6HZ2Y

That last vid is of a full ceramic bearing......way more $$$$ than a hybrid ceramic, and way way more $$$$ than the stock bearings.

Ceramic bearings should last longer and weigh less. The weight savings is minute at best. Also, a lot of times that "spin" you see is due to the seal drag, not the bearing itself. Generally, running a ceramic bearing with fast spinning seals, usually means it gets dirty inside and you have to get them cleaned and regreased. They fully sealed ones don't spin as well, but you can dunk them into the creek and not have a worry. How many times have you submerged your BB? Me? at least a dozen in the past year. I would go for the fully sealed ones and not worry about them.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    OK - take the chain off the crankset and flick the crank arm - watch how many times it spins then compaire it with how many times it spins with the ceramic ones....

I made a vid of this but me being a fool i deleted it - i filmed the same cranks setup with ceramic and normal bearings.

As for submerging a ceramic bearing - sure no problem. Ceramic unlike the cheap steel bearings you get stock don't rust and becuase the ceramic material is so hard dirt ingress isn't as much of a problem with the steel ones.

A Real Winner.
    Back to what the OP posted. . .

I would recommend the XTR's with ceramic bearings. Despite what Shimano says, you can replace the bearings in their bottom bracket cups which (IMO) are nicer than the FSA cups because they are sealed from the inside. I don't know if ceramic bearings make me faster, but I can DEFINITELY tell a difference when setting up my bike, the cranks just spin smoother. Lastly, the Shimano rings with an XTR front dérailleur, and a KMC X9 or X9SL chain shifts better than any front dérailleur combination I've tried.

Just a side note. . .Ceramic bearings are where it's at when it comes to smoothness. Even the more affordable "hybrid" bearings are smoother than the standard bearings that are included in *most* wheels and cranksets. If you go ceramic though, don't stop at the cranks, get the derailleur pulleys, and hub bearings too. Talk about silky smooth!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    Even the more affordable "hybrid" bearings are smoother than the standard bearings that are included in *most* wheels and cranksets. If you go ceramic though, don't stop at the cranks, get the derailleur pulleys, and hub bearings too. Talk about silky smooth!
    So, did you go with hybrid or full ceramic? What brand(s)?

A Real Winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinepig
    So, did you go with hybrid or full ceramic? What brand(s)?
    Ceramic Hybrid from Boca Bearing FYI. Here is the link:
    http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...BRK-047C-YU/C3
    1/3 the price of full ceramics, but 90% of the performance (That is not proven by me, but they certainly feel smoother when I work on my bike).
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks!

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

On the subject of rings

I think for a triple, nothing available shifts as well as 970 XTR chainrings- the carbon/Ti middle ring really does make a difference, and the big ring is stiff and has excellent shift ramps/pins. Very impressive shifting. So for a triple, I would run Shimano rings regardless of what cranks I were running, and I would argue that they are worth their hefty price tag. I am on my second season on the same rings as well, so I would say that durability is excellent, far better than the previous XTR 960 and even some other aluminum rings.

However, in a 2x9 setup, that doesn't matter nearly as much, so it depends on what you're after.

Also, I put Enduro ceramics in my XTR bb and the difference is noticeable. No durability issues yet, although it's been relatively dry so far...
    A hardtail is forever

Members who have read this thread: 0