Fox VS Fox VS Fox!...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fox VS Fox VS Fox!...

This is prrobably more of a question for those in the Suspension forum, but I figured I'd try here first as I am awear a few of you guys use Fox Forx on your rides / race bikes.

Anyways to my question: I am after a new fork for my Cove hardtail, seen around here a few times The RockShox Reba Team/WC looks interesting but I have riden RS for a few years, and although I am happy- I am after something different.

FOX: Look to have alot of good offerings, thats the problem. I am after opinions and weights if possable on Fox'es 04 or 05 Float 100RCL, F100X and F100 RLT forks. The fork will be used on my Cove will be used for Trail Riding, and Endurance racing as well as the local clubs' XC sreies.

I'm not too fussed with lockout, or the method of lockout... Weight is an issue as it is with us weight weenies. Proformance will never come second to weight though. I should probably add that I am 195lbs Geared up.

Any thoughts?

Wights
    Float RLC 100/130 = 1720 (3.78lbs)
    F100RLT = 1634g (3.59lbs)

Thanx for any help you guys can give
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    My F100X (uncut, bossless) = 1663g (3.66lbs).

Here's my brief summary of my F80X and F100X experiences thus far: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...54827#poststop . So far, Fox is batting ~.500 in terms of reliability.

While you are at it, you might want to read through the other threads in that post.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Jan 2004
    I had an original Fox 80RLC for a couple of years and absolutely loved it. No leaks, no clunk, no problems what-so-ever. This spring I sold the 80RLC on Ebay and bought myself a new F80X to replace it. The new fork is utterly phenomenal. The TerraLogic performs far beyond my expectations. I haven't had any problems with the F80X, either. I think Mike just had a bit of bad luck

Anyway, I use my F80X on an Epic and I think it would be a perfect match for a hardtail frame as well. I ride very rough (almost freeride-ish) trails to raise my technical skills for XC endurance racing and have never felt that the fork was too harsh. It's very plush and it simply works better than most people can imagine. The feeling of power and efficiency you get when you hammer out of the saddle is amazing.

I'll probably never use another fork without this same or similar technology ever again.

- Jeremy -

BTW, my F80X weighed 1636g cut and bossless.
    Last edited by - Jeremy -; 08-27-2004 at 06:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My 2005 Fox Float 100 RLT does not feel like 100 mm.

It feels like an 80 mm travel air fork. The travel is VERY progressive and I've found it absolutely impossible to get more than 88 mm of travel. I'm still trying to figure out if there is an oil level issue or not, but it appears not. My guess is that this fork is designed to not bottom out for heavyweights so the air chamber is too small for someone around 165 lbs. Perhaps I can modify this, but I think I'm going to try either the DUC32 or Float 130 instead. If all else fails, I'll just go back to my Noleen Mega Air or Marathon until I find something better.

My RLT weighs 1587 grams with a 205 mm steerer. It's the OE version, so it is disc-only as well which probably saves about 15 grams. It is stiff enough, but it's not eye-opening stiff like a Maverick American DUC32.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

F100X question.

Does the F100X ride sagged into it's travel or at full extension? I would guess it is held by the inertial valve at the sag point, but is this point typically a bit higher than it would be with a normal fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    Does the F100X ride sagged into it's travel or at full extension? I would guess it is held by the inertial valve at the sag point, but is this point typically a bit higher than it would be with a normal fork?

Yes, the 100x (80, too) rides near the top of its travel. About 10mm down, usually.

My buddy slapped one on his Titus before he became addicted to jumping, drops and other such riding we might call Freeriding...and the 100x has held up to a lot and still works perfectly. The stanchion seals do wear out, but are easy to replace/maintain. He rebuilt his fork twice while we were at Mammoth since we didn't have spares, about 30 minutes work with beer in hand. The hot upgrade is Enduro Seals, which last a little longer.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H

It rides in sag - a little.

I don't think the fork sits higher than other 'run of the mil' forks.
    Trev!

mtbr member

I'm thinknig...

After this weekend a set of Fox Forx are the go... Especially after this weekends 12hr Enduro, which was well rocky- My old Dukes just would not keep a line, nore did they reach anywhere near 100mm travel & now they are pissing oil everywhere

I like the idea of the F100X- I have played around with them in the store, Spoke(n); certianly an interesting concept, although I am abit worried about the "Terralogic" being abit slow to react and not staying open for long enough.

Trevor: You missed a killer of a race yesterday at the FGP 12hr, ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS EVERYWHERE! The Ellsworth would have lapped it up, unfortuantly my back didnt like the idea of riding a HT (with nemerious problems) all day
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My Vanilla was okay but knocked....

Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    This is prrobably more of a question for those in the Suspension forum, but I figured I'd try here first as I am awear a few of you guys use Fox Forx on your rides / race bikes.

Anyways to my question: I am after a new fork for my Cove hardtail, seen around here a few times The RockShox Reba Team/WC looks interesting but I have riden RS for a few years, and although I am happy- I am after something different.

FOX: Look to have alot of good offerings, thats the problem. I am after opinions and weights if possable on Fox'es 04 or 05 Float 100RCL, F100X and F100 RLT forks. The fork will be used on my Cove will be used for Trail Riding, and Endurance racing as well as the local clubs' XC sreies.

I'm not too fussed with lockout, or the method of lockout... Weight is an issue as it is with us weight weenies. Proformance will never come second to weight though. I should probably add that I am 195lbs Geared up.

Any thoughts?

Wights
    Float RLC 100/130 = 1720 (3.78lbs)
    F100RLT = 1634g (3.59lbs)

Thanx for any help you guys can give
    The knocking drove me nuts! I have a Marzocchi Marathon 120mm that is rock solid. Oh, no leaking seals either. I have my Enduro seals, but the stock seals work so well I have not installed them. The only problem with the '04 Marzocchi's is weight. They are heavy buggers.

Jaybo