Formula b4sl+- Mtbr.com

Thread: Formula b4sl+

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formula b4sl+

I have the Formula B4sl+. I noticed alot of brake squeal from the rear...changed the pads. After a time, squeal returns. I took it apart last nite to find that the pads have 1/8" grooves in them...what I mean is: The rotor must have high spots, which then allow the pad to ride on the high spots...wearing the pads with grooves to match the high spots....SO...if it were a car, I would have the rotors "turned"...milled. Should I just get new rotors? Can "any" rotor of that diameter be used? Is this a place to save weight? I don't know if I can afford $100/ x2 for Stan's rotors + pads.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

File?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    I have the Formula B4sl+. I noticed alot of brake squeal from the rear...changed the pads. After a time, squeal returns. I took it apart last nite to find that the pads have 1/8" grooves in them...what I mean is: The rotor must have high spots, which then allow the pad to ride on the high spots...wearing the pads with grooves to match the high spots....SO...if it were a car, I would have the rotors "turned"...milled. Should I just get new rotors? Can "any" rotor of that diameter be used? Is this a place to save weight? I don't know if I can afford $100/ x2 for Stan's rotors + pads.
    How about using your fingers to find the high spots on the discs, and them filing them away?

Ole.

I love Pisgah
    Speaking of B4s, I raced a gruelling 35 mile point to point race(5900' vertical) this past Sat. I evidently forgot to tighten my front 'caliper to fork' bolts after swapping out my front Stans rotor for a steel one(I have the old alum rotor that use spec pads) for this race on my B4Pros(using the all alum SL bolt kit from my 03 B4SLs). One backed out and the other almost did. I raced 15 miles with 3 mega techy descents with ONE alum bolt up front. It held. Soooo...for all the non believers in alum bolts..

My steel 140mm rear rotor was screaming for mercy since I had to depend on it more then usual.

Members who have read this thread: 0