Fork weight- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork weight

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fork weight

I have "inherited" a Marz Z2 Bam and an X-Fly....I can have either one, but NOT both. They are not in my posession. I do not know the years, but both in close to new condition. I would say they are both in the 1999/ 2001 range. Which would be lighter? Which is a better choice? This will go on my 'secondary' bike... If you need details, ask, and I will ask the current owner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Considering the age of the forks I'd have to go with the one that's in better shape and/or had disk tabs on it.

All other things being equal though I'd have to pick the Z2 BAM. I'm just not much of a fan of air forks. That said, I've seen springs for converting for an X-Fly to a coil-oil fork listed on eBay. If you could find a pair of those and the X-Fly had disk tabs that would be an interesting fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn595
    Considering the age of the forks I'd have to go with the one that's in better shape and/or had disk tabs on it.

All other things being equal though I'd have to pick the Z2 BAM. I'm just not much of a fan of air forks. That said, I've seen springs for converting for an X-Fly to a coil-oil fork listed on eBay. If you could find a pair of those and the X-Fly had disk tabs that would be an interesting fork.
    Both are in Excellent condition...I mean, mint! Both have tabs... Now, doesn't that make things complicated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The X Fly is probably worth a lot more (and you have the option of converting it to a coil-oil fork if you like) so that would probably be the better for to have. I think both models had the same amount of travel so there are no differences there either.

Still, and I know I'm likely to get beat down for saying this, I'd ask for the one that came in a color that matched my bike. Given that both forks are so similiar that would likely be the deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    don't know much about them but if the x-fly is air and the z2 bam is coil/oil the x-fly will be a failry decent amount lighter. they were the lightweight fork of choice back then.

Members who have read this thread: 0