Foam Grips...Comfortable?- Mtbr.com
    The Riddler

Foam Grips...Comfortable?

Are foam grips fatiguing to use on the hands and fingers? They seem pretty light...

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    Are foam grips fatiguing to use on the hands and fingers? They seem pretty light...
    I've been using them for over a year. They felt different at first, not really better or worse than standard grips. They saved me 60 grams and now that Iv'e been using them they feel so good I wouldn't want to use anything else.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

simply me
    I find them far more comfortable than rubber grips. The foam has a little give in it, they grip well to my bars (ti), they are lite and last very well (better than rubber grips that I have tried) I won't be changing back to rubber any time soon.

FYI. The foam grips I use are the Scott USA ATLF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004
    Went to Titec Pork Rhinds based on suggestions here - can't complain. One of the cheaper weight savings available & pretty comfy (mine are on a carbon Monkeylite).

GF

I love Pisgah
    Some don't like the smaller dia. Some do. I've just went with the larger more comfy Ritchey WSC grips(pic shown in the Epic with Disc weight loss thread), and love them. They are the heaviest of the foamies tho, at around 48gms. Still half the weight of rubbers.

mtbr member

Pork Rinds here...

I been running Pork Rinds (about 20gm with plugs) for the last couple of months. Yes, they are small but they don't hurt my hands. Big difference in diameter from my old ODI Yeti lock-ons but 100gm lighter...hell, I'd run cheese graters for grips if they saved 100gm!

Lactic Acid is my friend.

another option

Another option is using road bar tape. It ends up being about the same weight and it's a bit thicker and I like the grip it provides. I ran pork rinds before and didn't like them as much as the road tape, they were too small, nothing to grip on.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I generally prefer cork grips to foam grips myself.

mtbr member
    Thanks to the inspiration of your project website, I'm back to using bar tape also! I'm using the Cinelli cork tape. Extremely light when using the amount I need for grip shift (only about 12-15g).

I used to have one of those superlight Scott AT-2 bar/barend combos (those worked great, by the way) and I used to use bar tape on those. It's been years now, but now I remember why I liked it.

Those Scott AT combo bars were a great idea. I only stopped using them when I switched over to gripshift from trigger shifters years back... Anyway, I use risers now so the point is moot...

***I should add that I've had both the Pork Rinds and the Extralite grips and both worked fine and were very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by split
    Another option is using road bar tape. It ends up being about the same weight and it's a bit thicker and I like the grip it provides. I ran pork rinds before and didn't like them as much as the road tape, they were too small, nothing to grip on.
    Last edited by AZ-X; 06-08-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Trail rider and racer
    I have been using Foam grips since october last year, and frankly would not go back to rubber grips and the diameter and comfort of the foam grips is much better suited to me. I had to ride one weekend with some rubber oury grips and found the experience torture like..

Love my foam grips. I have been really happy with the Extalight ones, at around 13 you can go wrong, and they don't move on your bars... In fact they are a PITA to get off the bars.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

another thumb up for cork tape

None of the bike shops I went to could get the Titec Porkrinds, so I just bought some Profile synthetic cork tape for road bikes.

I took one of the 2 rolls it comes with (ie 1 roll for each side of the road bar) and cut it in half and that replaced my grips nicely. I don't have a scale, but the weight difference from rubber grips is outrageous.

I'm neither passionately for or against the new feel - it's just different. One side came undone a bit after my first race with them (with 2 rides on them before that), but I did a better job re-rolling it today, so I think it should hold up better now.

The Riddler
    Where is the place to get some good, light foam grips?? cheap would be good too...

Mar 2004
    Where is the place to get some good, light foam grips?? cheap would be good too...
    from a suggestion in another forum i bought foam bar grips for road bikes. enough to make 2 sets of grips for $6. you can get them at any bike shop.

Trail rider and racer
    http://sales.light-bikes.com
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Damn comfy

Had Titec Pork Rinds on my Jekyll for 6 months.

Ridden up to 8 hours in a day - damn comfy, very grippy and durable.

Highly recommended.

Cheers, Jawry

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I've been using the pork rinds for over a year. They are much more comfortable than rubber grips. The only problem I have is that they can slide. Especially in wet conditions. I would consider zip-tieing them if I wore gloves, but I dont and wont be for the time being. I think I'm gonna pick up some road tape soon though, cause the slipping is starting to get to me. With rubber grips my hands were killing me. I got soo many blisters and rashes. Foam is awesome.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Titec....Magura...

If you don't mind narrow grips, go with the Pork Rinds. If you want something a little thicker my vote goes to Magura CORKIES!

Just passing through....
    If you like smaller diameter grips, get the 10" foam roadie tubes and cut them down. $4 for 4 pairs of grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

May 2004
    Cambria Bike sells Titec Pork Rinds for $9.

Tribe Member
    Cork tape is where it is at....weighs about 12g and is easily replaced. One roll will redo grips twice. So for about 12 bucks you can get 4 sets of grips. Plus you have the added option of COLORS!!!!!! (sarcastic comment goes here)
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Roadie bar tape is very comfortable and Really not expansive! (Selev ribbon, 4 and possible to make 4 Grips, 11g each on my bike)

Pix (very bad, sorry)

banned

adjust your V's!

your front brake looks terrible!
    have them adjusted so the brakearms are more or less parallel when the pads make contact on the rim.yours are too far out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    May be due to the picture... I don't know. But I can tell you my brakes are perfectly adjusted and really not too far from the rim (less than a mm). I don't know if you've seen many Avid's on Fox Forks but it's normal if the brakearms are not parrallel. May be I've to move some of theses little pieces between brake pad and brake arms but they really perform very well like that.
    They perform so well that one of my friend who tried my bike two weeks ago makes an OTB... He has XTR disc brakes on his bike!

banned

i believe...

...that a disc-user was surprised at V's power BUT your brakes definitely need to be adjusted.change some spacers!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mmmh, yes, you're right Nino, They're not really working better now but it seems to be easier to set up after I've moved one of these little pieces between the brake pads and the brake arms behind the arm. Thanks

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I generally prefer cork grips to foam grips myself.
    Velo makes a nice cork/foam grip in a reverse hourglass shape that I have really been liking. This grip as well as the Titec one are closed cell foam and are much more supportive and longer lasting than the Grab-On cheap foam grips for road bars (the kind that comes in a set of 4 for above the brakes and below the brakes).

Road tape works well too. I like to do a double wrap with an extra 2 inch wide third layer in the center to make the shape a reverse hourglass.