Foam grips- Mtbr.com

Thread: Foam grips

ballbuster

Foam grips

Okay, new weight weenie question,

I know about Titec Pork Rind grips (or whatever the new version is these days), but are there any others I should check out?

I read in the reviews, it mentioned that these grips are not for riders with big hands. I have freakishly large hands... as in, I buy XL size gloves and they are still snug.

On paper, my new build is still a portly 23.5 lbs. Gotta do something about that.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

I know about Titec Pork Rind grips (or whatever the new version is these days), but are there any others I should check out?

I read in the reviews, it mentioned that these grips are not for riders with big hands. I have freakishly large hands... as in, I buy XL size gloves and they are still snug.

On paper, my new build is still a portly 23.5 lbs. Gotta do something about that.
    Ritchey WSC are thicker and much more cushy

mtbr member
    they're called titec pluto... i like pork rinds better.
    -mpap

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mpap89
    they're called titec pluto... i like pork rinds better.
    -mpap
    Have you seen them round? BTI has none

mtbr member
    well i got my pork rinds from blue sky. i'm pretty sure that the pork rinds and the plutos are the same things. they look the same. Here's the link. they have them for the cheapest.
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...lack-Grips.htm
    -mpap

ballbuster

hmmmm, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Ritchey WSC are thicker and much more cushy
    but aren't they around 60g a set? They use a pretty dense foam in those, don't they? I normally use the Sefras grips which are around 90g or so. I dunno if 30g is worth it to me to change, but I guess it's only $10 to experiement.

The Titecs are 22g.

Dang, it sucks that none of my LBSs carry them... or can even get them as far as I can tell. I went into one shop and asked. They busted out the QBP catalog and Titec grips aren't even listed. I hate to do an internet order for $10 grips with $7 shipping.

*edit* I'll just slap on my Performance Celtic grips for now. 68g is not too bad, but Imonna shed the extra grams soon.

BTW, I finished my 'rolling build' of my budgetlight hardtail, and I'm at 24 lbs with my old cruddy Jett fork and heavy front wheel. My Duke is in for a rebuild at the moment. The Duke Race is almost a full 2 pounds lighter. I was also eyeing my lack of aluminum and Ti bolts

I'm on track!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-17-2005 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member

Other options

I recently ordered everything in the QBP catalogue that claimed a weight under 70 grams. My favorite of the bunch are the Velo Handlz foam grips. They are ergonomically contoured and weigh less than twenty grams with the endplugs. Very thin, like an improved Pork Rind.
    If you have large hands, you may like the Dimension cork grips. They weigh more than the foam grips. I think they weighed around 40 or 50 grams? They were ergo shaped and cool, but too big for my gloved hands to wrap around comfortably.

Recovering couch patato
    Dimension corkies are much beeter for man-sized hands. and hardly any heftier. Pork rinds were nice for me, but small, and I was always twisting them on the bars as I never liked where the flat spot sat.
    If you want to use barends with the corkies, cut them off or take out the 1/2" thick closed ends.

I use the foam grips made by Grab-On...
    Not sure how much they weigh, but they're comfy

I had the Titecs and they were a biatch to get on

I love Pisgah
    As much of a weenie as I am, I'm not a fan of the Rinds. Tried them. Hated them. Just too hard and small dia for an easy grip when it counts(fast tech stuff while descending and or braking), so-to-speak. I'm wasting way more energy having to hold on more so, then the tiny weight loss can offset. Also getting beat up more along the way. I've really settled into the WCS grips, after trying a bunch of options. Much much more comfy, reduces pounding when racing, nice octigon(sp) shape, perfect dia size(for me), and a more relaxed grip is more often sufficent enough under most conditions. All 3 of active mtbs have the WCS's on'm. 50gms. Half the weight of reg grips. 30gm more then the Rinds. Cheap too. Cambria.

Duck-tired mofo from racing the FW50 today.

ballbuster

Thanks Ducky...

you rock, pal. That was the kind of info I was looking for as well.

I was thinking about fatigue from lack of grip. That's kinda why I like the Sefras grips. They are grippy enough without having to use too much white knuckle effort to stay on the bars, like. I often place my palms with thumbs on top when grinding or cruising on smooth flats to reduce hand fatigue. I have a set of Lizard skin LockOn grips, and find they are not tacky at all.... not to mention they are hard as heck. It doesn't help that they are on my rigid SS bike, which adds to my 'cement mixer' wrist joints.

I still think it's worth the $10 experiment, but it is a concern. I'm all about saving weight, but not if it sucks the fun out of the ride.

I'll check out the Richey WCSs too. Just not sure if saving 20-30g is worth the effort.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    you rock, pal. That was the kind of info I was looking for as well.

I was thinking about fatigue from lack of grip. That's kinda why I like the Sefras grips. They are grippy enough without having to use too much white knuckle effort to stay on the bars, like. I often place my palms with thumbs on top when grinding or cruising on smooth flats to reduce hand fatigue. I have a set of Lizard skin LockOn grips, and find they are not tacky at all.... not to mention they are hard as heck. It doesn't help that they are on my rigid SS bike, which adds to my 'cement mixer' wrist joints.

I still think it's worth the $10 experiment, but it is a concern. I'm all about saving weight, but not if it sucks the fun out of the ride.

I'll check out the Richey WCSs too. Just not sure if saving 20-30g is worth the effort.
    The richeys weigh between 40 and 50grams. And they are very very comfy.. I know many 'pro' racers using them just for their comfort.

I love Pisgah
    I raced the Serfras grips as well. Good grip(sticky rubber?), but not nearly as comfy as the WCS grips, as well as still being a touch small in dia. Also, they still took more effort to hold on in the rough stuff. You'll save about 40gms and have noticeably more comfort along the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Bontrager Race X Lite

I have switched most of my bikes to the Bontrager race x lite. They are bigger around than the titec pork rinds and about the same density. The weight is 28g with the bar plugs.

ballbuster

hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    I have switched most of my bikes to the Bontrager race x lite. They are bigger around than the titec pork rinds and about the same density. The weight is 28g with the bar plugs.
    There is a Trek shop just a mile from my house. They have been nice about ordering Bontrager stuff for me in the past (Bontrager Mustang UST rim strips) without hosing me on price.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I have a set of Profile Design foam grips

These foam grips are an actual 20 grams/pair including the end caps and they have been very comfortable and durable so far in a season of use. I didn't think I'd like foam grips but I bought them somewhere ( Nashbar I think) on a closeout for $4, now I can't find them anywhere. Profile doesn't list them anymore.

http://www.profile-design.com/

Just passing through....
    I just buy those 10" roadie tubes and cut them down. Cheap, easily obtained, and as light or lighter than anything else out there. They look good too IMHO.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I use bontrager x-lite grips.

I find them more comfortable than pork rinds and only 19g per set (not includng plugs)
    My set are only 13g as they are trimmed to work with gripshift.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

I went ahead and went with some generic road tape. I think the last batch was Nashbar cork tape. Came in at 26g for a cowhorn bar.

Nice thing about bar tape is you can decide how it works best for ya. It can be put on as thin or as thick as you want.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

just bro'n out
    ive been using "Grab On Leasure sport" grips for about a year now, they're pretty light 28g per pair, they're super old school, and uber comfy. i also have larg hands (split out XL gloves all the time) and these grips are the most comfortable ive ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Extreme Steering

I bought a set of these at the cactus cup this spring not bad, pretty conforable about 51 grams with plugs.

http://www.extremesteering.com/index.htm

mtbr member

Pork Rinds FYI

Well, I tired the Pork Rinds out for a year. I plan on replacing the Porks with something more comfortable, even with good gloves the Pork Rinds feel too hard, perhaps this might be bc of the square type/flate edges or just simply a lack of a little more foam. When I got the grips they weighed in at 22grams.

F-N A

Pork Rinds

I got the Titec Porkrinds last year. I have very small hands. I didn't like them at all. They didn't give me the control I had with other grips. I didn't feel like I could do any techinical decents with them. There just wasn't anything there to grip. If you want to get light you should swicth to X.O. grip shifts which also come with sram grips all in one. It's what the pro's use. I have just recently switched to this system, and I love it.

ballbuster

thanks but...

Quote Originally Posted by fattytire45
    I got the Titec Porkrinds last year. I have very small hands. I didn't like them at all. They didn't give me the control I had with other grips. I didn't feel like I could do any techinical decents with them. There just wasn't anything there to grip. If you want to get light you should swicth to X.O. grip shifts which also come with sram grips all in one. It's what the pro's use. I have just recently switched to this system, and I love it.
    I hate grip shifts. I can see why others swear by them, but when I used them, I ended up shifting at the wrong times, often under stressful situations. I prefer Rapid Fire, non-rapid rise. I did like the new STis on a demo bike I rode. I'd try them out if they weren't so expensive and I could still use my Hope brakes... although this bike I'm building has V-Brakes.

On the plus side, it was cool to be able to dump across the whole cosget in one crank.

Members who have read this thread: 0