Bald and crap since 1973.

New question here. Examine and trim!

Howdy folks... okay, I got my Burner build finally completed. I realize that this isn't going to be a superlight XC racer, but I was hoping to get it down to around 26-27lbs. Unfortunately, it's tipping the scales at 29 right now. This is, in part, due to the fact that it's sporting "hoopdy" wheels on there - Mavic XC321 laced to XT rims, that are going to be replaced by 717s laced to DT 240s hubs from Odds and Endos. But that's still just going to shave about a pound off, which leaves me still quite short of my goal.

Here's the build...

* Shock: Manitou Swinger 3 way
    * Fork: RS Reba Team U-Turn with the poploc doodad (World Cup was too damn much!)
    * Brakes: Hope Mono Minis w/160mm rotors
    * Brake Levers: Hope
    * Cranks: Race Face Turbine LPs
    * Shifters: SRAM X.9
    * Front Derailleur: SRAM X-Gen
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    * Chain: SRAM PC-990
    * Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SLs
    * Stem: Thomson Elite
    * Handlebar: Monkey Lite Carbon XC
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    * Saddle: WTB Laser V Ti (Progel - adds an extra 80g, but worth it for the padding!)
    * Bottom Bracket: Race Face SRX
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-950
    * Headset: CK
    * Grips: Odi Lock Ons
    * Front Tire: WTB Moto Raptor race 2.24
    * Front Rim: Mavic 717
    * Front Hub/Skewer: DT Hugi 240s with Airborne 6-4 Ti skewers
    * Rear Tire: WTB Moto Raptor race 2.14
    * Rear Rim: Mavic 717
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Hugi 240s with Airborne 6-4 Ti skewers
    * Seatpost Collar: Standard

I figure I could lose more rotational weight by switching the tires to something else, but since I ride the DC area (East coast) I need a "do everything" tire, since the trails here are hardpack one minute, roots and rocks the next, with liberal sprinkings of mud pools and stream crossings. I'm thinking of upgrading the shock to an RP3, which saves about another 100g. I was planning on switching the rear derailleur to an X.0, but they're just too flimsy for me.

Any other suggestions though?

That's right....
    well, you already said it about the tires. pretty much anything WTB makes is a boat anchor.
    those lock on grips are pretty heavy,
    you can also lose some weight with the stem
    the WTB tires have VERY good casings so you can definately run some sub100 gram tubes (maxxis, conti, panaracer)
    and finally, do some Ti/Al tuning on all the bolts.
    thats probably about 300 grams / 10.5 oz.

Bald and crap since 1973.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    well, you already said it about the tires. pretty much anything WTB makes is a boat anchor.
    those lock on grips are pretty heavy,
    you can also lose some weight with the stem
    the WTB tires have VERY good casings so you can definately run some sub100 gram tubes (maxxis, conti, panaracer)
    and finally, do some Ti/Al tuning on all the bolts.
    thats probably about 300 grams / 10.5 oz.
    Hmm, any tires you could recommend that would fall into that "do it all" category? I've used WTB pretty much exclusively, but am certainly not married to them. Just that, as I said, I need something that can handle boggier stuff in addition to hardpack.

The stem is a Thomson Elite... recommendations on a better one would be welcome!

Yeah, I'm not sold on those ODIs at all. I was going to plop Cane Creek Ergo bar ends on there, and snagged the ODIs since the newer CCs mate with them...

Anyone know of an ISIS bottom bracket that's an upgrade over the SRX? I know Raceface makes a lighter flavour, but it's only something in the region of 20g lighter, and when buying a BB, I didn't want to sacrifice durability on something that would be supporting my weight...

That's right....
    -steer clear of ergo bar ends..those things are paper weights if you ask me.... and if your hands really cant handle the comfort of a simple round carbon or aluminum barend then you have more important things to worry about.
    -you can look into a Ritchey or Syntace stem.
    -give foam grips a try, theyll save you about 150grams and to be honest theyre not that bad, especially the titec pork rinds from what i hear.
    -try a Conti explorer pro or supersonic 2.1 as a front tire. i know your used to a ~2.25, but i race this tire XC and i ran it on my freeride Santa Cruz because its that good... definately a "do it all tire"
    -FSA platinum pro Ti would shave about 40grams off the BB weight.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by gedmunds
    Hmm, any tires you could recommend that would fall into that "do it all" category? I've used WTB pretty much exclusively, but am certainly not married to them. Just that, as I said, I need something that can handle boggier stuff in addition to hardpack.
    The peeps in the wheels & tires forum might help you with your conditions as they are foriegn to me.

I used to be a WTB tire guy until my bike and skills surpassed the tires (which = bleeding)

The killer for me (loose over hardpack) was the hard rubber. I have since moved to a softer rubber up front and can tell the difference. Keep rubber compound in mind when selecting a new tire.

I am running a Specialized Adrenaline Pro (~600 grams), but it may not work for your conditions.

Mr. P

That's right....
    specialized has great tread patterns, but theyre slow as dog sh|t

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I see places to save weight; tires, stem, cassette, grips and bottom bracket.

Don't worry about giving up the 'durability' of the SRX, i found it is one of the worst BB's when it comes to performance, and nearly all ISIS BB's suck anywho... Try find one with replaceable bearings, do a search, there are some very nice ones available.

Grips - try foam I went from using Oury lock-ons to foam grips, and i'm not going back any time soon

Stem - I am liking my raceface Deus 2005 stem, but it is alot over the claimed weight, making it rather heavy. Something like a Ritchey WSC or a syntace F99 would save alot of weight. Or find a FSA 115 (??), on ebay.

Cassette, don't waste your money with XTR or Alu cassettes, but a Sram 990 or a Shimano XT will save a decent amount of weight, improve shifting and the spider is needed when used with Alu freehub bodies (such as on your DT hub).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was planning on switching the rear derailleur to an X.0, but they're just too flimsy for me.

I'm not sure what your experiences have been but the X.0 is hardly flimsy. Expensive yes but many DHers run them on their bikes and they seem to hold up many times longer than XT or XTR derailleurs. My personal experience has only been with the X.7 and X.9 derailleurs and they have been excellent, way better than any of the shimano derailleurs I had before. Apparently the X.0s are even better.

I can't comment too much on the rest of your build as I'm not much a weight watcher, but won't those Ti QRs be too flexy? Why not get bolt skewers with steel shafts?

Edit: I'm not sure about the weight but avoid ISIS like the plague. If you're putting any amount of miles on your bike you'll burn through BBs like nothing. I'd get a set of X-type XTs. I'm not sure about the weight but they look sweet. If you want to stick with raceface check out the Deus cranks.
    Last edited by Jeff M; 11-16-2005 at 10:25 PM.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

A few thoughts

Congrats on the Turner.

Had a few thoughts.

Are the Hope Rotors the floating style (2 piece) or the origional. If not, it'll save a bit of weight, about 30-40g a rotor.

I'm on a Syntace Stem and like it alot. 122g vs the approx 200g of the Thomson.

The Rear cassette might be lighter with an XTR, but also cost a fair chunk of change.

Tires/Tubes would be a great place to lose weight too, but I'm not an expert on what will work for you. What I have had good luck with have been IRC Mythos, and Schwable Racing Ralph.

The ODI lockons are not lightweights either.

When it's time to replace the rings on the cranks, there are lighter options too.

Even without any changes, it's a pretty good build.

Good luck,

JmZ

Howdy folks... okay, I got my Burner build finally completed. I realize that this isn't going to be a superlight XC racer, but I was hoping to get it down to around 26-27lbs. Unfortunately, it's tipping the scales at 29 right now. This is, in part, due to the fact that it's sporting "hoopdy" wheels on there - Mavic XC321 laced to XT rims, that are going to be replaced by 717s laced to DT 240s hubs from Odds and Endos. But that's still just going to shave about a pound off, which leaves me still quite short of my goal.

Here's the build...

* Fork: RS Reba Team U-Turn with the poploc doodad (World Cup was too damn much!)
    * Brakes: Hope Mono Minis w/160mm rotors
    * Saddle: WTB Laser V Ti (Progel - adds an extra 80g, but worth it for the padding!)
    * Rear Tire: WTB Moto Raptor race 2.14
    * Rear Rim: Mavic 717
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Hugi 240s with Airborne 6-4 Ti skewers

I figure I could lose more rotational weight by switching the tires to something else, but since I ride the DC area (East coast) I need a "do everything" tire, since the trails here are hardpack one minute, roots and rocks the next, with liberal sprinkings of mud pools and stream crossings. I'm thinking of upgrading the shock to an RP3, which saves about another 100g. I was planning on switching the rear derailleur to an X.0, but they're just too flimsy for me.

JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hello Gedmunds,
    Here is my two cents.

- Shock combination is a very personnal choice. Depends on how much performance
    you want. I run a Skarab Elite which keeps me at 3.2 lbs and a Fox Float which is also light. I like the front end; real smooth but I cannot lockout which I live with. I would like to change out the rear since I get a good amount of bob with my 02 LocoMoto. This is my next upgrade.

*Brakes: Hope Mono Minis w/160mm rotors
    - For disc brakes you cannot get lighter or better in my opinion. I have Avid Ti vbrakes but I am thinking about discs. I just got a set of American Classic Wheels (1500g) and trying to decide on the brakes; BB7s or MonoMinis.

- carbon levers if they can be switched out.

- Turbines are good. I have Truvative Stylos.

- Grip shift are the lighter choice; X0 was my choice

- The X-Gen is nice but an XTR is the lighter for about the same price

- I run the X0 deraillure. I have bent my hanger three times and the X0 has not skipped a beat. I love it!

- Very little weight difference with chains; any good one will make the grade

- Eggbeaters SL are lighter if you can go without the platform. Eggbeater Ti if you can afford the price.

- I found a used Ritchey WCS stem for 110g

- I found a used like new MAX-M flat bar at a 105g

- The choice; are there lighter posts? Yes, but cost become high. I have a Airborne AL post at 259g

- Again a personal choice everybody makes. I have a San Marco Concor w/Ti rails at 230g.

- American Classic has a BB with a steel axel at 153g

- Unless you go with a full ti cassette; it is either the XT, XTR, or 970 or 990

- American Classic 77g w/o starnut and topcap

- You can find lighter grips but I love the lockons. I have the shorties for my gripshifters and accept the weight difference.

- Tires are another personnal choice with factors depending where and how you ride. If you can keep them under 500g you are doing good.

- This is a good set. Similar to the American Classics. Right now I have XT hubs with 517s and Airborne Ti skewers. Not bad but will improve with the American Classics.

- The difference between a screwed clamp and a flip off is a handful. You can save a little depending how much you adjust your seat.

My 02 LocoMoto came in at about 25.5 lbs. I hope to install disc brakes without increasing the weight. I built my rig up with economy in mind. The big money was the rear deraillure. Not too much exotic stuff. I hope this helps.

v/r

Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0