Customized Disc only SID lower legs :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Customized Disc only SID lower legs :)

I have been slowly customizing my SID to have the ultimate XC weapon. I am aiming for a 999g fork or less.

I have disc brakes now so I needed disc tabs on my fork. The lowers I was using had disc tabs shaved off. I purchased a set of used lowers on eBay for $36. They had brand new bushings and seals but the paint was scratched up a bit. Stock weight was 402g.

To remove the paint I used an 80 grit flappwheel, some fine sanding tools and elbow grease. I hacked off the brake bosses and carefully took a bench wheel grinder to them. Again I used the 80 grit flappwheel to smooth out the grinders marks. I used some very fine steel wool to polish them. I’m not quite finished because they need more polishing and a clear coat. Total weight as pictured is 349g.

I dont want to buy a carbon crown assembly unless I get a very good deal on one. I still have a good chance at getting this fork at 999g even with my crown assembly. My current crown assembly weighs 545g. The clear coated lowers and crown assembly should weigh 900g complete. I have only 99g or so left for internals. Right now I am trying to develop my own custom internals. They will consist of positive and negative air springs and a very light weight adjustable air damping system. I think 99g will be easy for custom internals and some hardware.

mtbr member
    looks cool, nice work. i like seeing people that go that much farther to get their stuff superlight.

banned

so far so good...

so far it looks very good. i'm curious though how your internals will look like. you might make good profit with selling such kits if they work! so far the older 63mm travel SID Race internals were the lightest option at 202g !

my customized "v-brake-only" lowers weigh 348g incl. new black paint. together with a '02 Worldcup carbon steerer assembly and the pictured '01 SID Race internals my fork weighs 1063g. that's the lightest you can get by using standard parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    wrong nino ...

by using a 1998 SID damper cartridge you can fit the whole internals into the left leg and leave the right one empty.

these internals would weight about 120gr. (incl. top valve cap)
    there are two guys in germany running this system.

felix

Feb 2004
    my SID dropped down to about 950g after removing the entire lockout/damper unit from the right side. Right now it just has pos. and neg. air on the left side and seems to work fine...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i'm not sure about riding without a damping unit.

once my cartridge failed, it was rideable but the fork was bumping completely uncontroled.

my sub 1000gr SID will have a damper unit.

@bender: let us know if you manage to get the whole internals sub 100gr. but i'm afraid this would be very difficult because the lightest cartridges (1998 (70-80gr.)and 2001 (about 100gr sid Race) were not adustable in order to save weight.

felix

6x7=Dont Panic!
    Thats a really cool project. Are you going to leave the lowers like that or give them some sort of protective finish?
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    As I said above I was thinking about clear coating the lowers. Im having second thoughts but Im not sure what color paint I would like. I dont think leaving the lowers unprotected is an option with magnesium.

I am aware that a damping cartridge weighs 80-100g. This is why I am integrating damping and both air springs into one side. They may be adjustable but probably not on the fly. It may take quite some time before I have a working sample. Right now all I have is a rough sketch.

Nino the 348g of your lowers is without seals correct? Here are what mine weigh with bushings but no seals 330g. This is before paint.
    Last edited by Bender; 06-30-2005 at 03:04 AM.

banned

plastic cartridges...

Quote Originally Posted by felixthewolf
    wrong nino ...

by using a 1998 SID damper cartridge you can fit the whole internals into the left leg and leave the right one empty.

these internals would weight about 120gr. (incl. top valve cap)
    there are two guys in germany running this system.

felix
    i know - but i like a durable fork and these older plastic cartridges are just no option for me. i don't want to service my fork every so often. so far my fork is running for 2 3/4 years on the same internals already. the bushings would be toast (play) after that time but since i replaced the lowers they got also replaced.

running a fork without a any damper is definitely nonsense. i'd rather prefer a rigid fork than a bobbing one.

@Bender:
    if i remember right the 348g are including seals but without cantistuds. those would ad 6.6g/pair (AL)

by the way: the black coat weighs just 3g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i know - but i like a durable fork and these older plastic cartridges are just no option for me. i don't want to service my fork every so often. so far my fork is running for 2 3/4 years on the same internals already. the bushings would be toast (play) after that time but since i replaced the lowers they got also replaced.
    LOL, ever had one of these cartridges in your hands? theres ony one differnce between '98 and "01 -> the inner damping rod was aluminium in 1998 and in 2001 it became stainless, thats why the "newer" ones are heavier. there's no more plastic on it!
    i got 2 of these cartridges, both 7 years old, still working fine, no leaks, no oil loss.

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    @Bender:
    if i remember right the 348g are including seals but without cantistuds. those would ad 6.6g/pair (AL)
    should i help you? i remember this casting, it's without seals.

its not possible to be everytime the best, but don't cry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Attn: Nino

Nino, the '99 SID air assemblies also used aluminum shafts and an aluminum Schrader valve body. Current ones (and the one you have) are steel.

www.angryasian.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by angryasian
    Nino, the '99 SID air assemblies also used aluminum shafts and an aluminum Schrader valve body. Current ones (and the one you have) are steel.

www.angryasian.com

thanks for your input!
    i know there's those with aluminium rods but as far as i know '98 cartridges were plastic and were horrible as far as durability was concerned. i might be wrong though.

@felixthewolf:
    it's not about beeing "the best" at all - never was! it's about sharing info. i'm also glad people let me know what works and what doesn't. i'm just not that extreme that i will tune my parts that they fall apart in regular use. i don't have a bike attached to a wall like others have and another/several other heavier bikes to actually ride with. mine gets ridden almost daily and parts have to be durable enough. there's nothing wrong with a sub 1000g SID as long as it still does it's job.

mtbr member
    Nino is there any way you could use the aluminum rods with your internals? I have no idea if they are similar enough to rig up.

mtbr member
    I ended up clear coating the lowers. I think they look great showing the natural magnesium color. After some more sanding and finishing work the the completed lowers weigh 331g + 16g for my enduro seals = 347 complete with clear coat! The fork is using my previous internals but new ones are still in the works.

Here are some current pics

MaLóŚ˘*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by angryasian

www.angryasian.com

well, i have a 99 sid and there´s no schrader valve anywhere. i need to use an adaptor to inflate the fork...