are carbon seat rails reliable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

are carbon seat rails reliable?

I found a saddle with carbon rails and on sale it costed less than the titanium version. It is rated for road / XC.

I am 160 lbs and riding mostly on trails shared by cows and horses so there are constant bumpy ruts. Will it hold up?

I am also using a race face Next seatpost would it work with carbon rails? Do you still torque the rail bolts of the seatpost to manufacturer says?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In my experience they are just as reliable as metal rails, if not more. I rode a Selle italia SLR Kit carbonio for 2 years using a Token seatpost (KCNC type head) which isn't recommend by Selle Italia and it worked fine. I'm now on a Bontrager Evoke with carbon rails and don't expect any less from it.

Selle Italia says that their carbon rails are the strongest rails they make. They have been tested up to 500lbs, according to them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Has anyone had one break during riding? Just wondering if it is likely to cause an injury (wouldn't be nice) but seems not likely

mtbr member
    Fizik also claims their carbon rails are stronger then anything else they make.

With that being said, I broke one of the rails using a Token seatpost. Fizik replaced the saddle for me under warranty and I was not injured, but it did scare me quite a bit. I weigh 155lbs.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Fizik Aliante with Carbon rails on a Thomson Masterpiece post an it's been solid for years, had it's fair share of crashes too!

My mate was on another Fizik with Ti rails and had a rail snap on him (he is a bit bigger and stronger than me) it snapped while he was powering up a hill.

So I think it just goes to show that Carbon rails are no worse than Ti, and as long as your seat post supports it well without digging in sharp bits you should be sweet.

PS, the new Fizik Carbon rails are stronger than the old ones with the Alu clamping surface. I have one and they are the most solid rails I have ever seen in my life, note that they are oval (taller) and some seat post clamps don't like them.