Specialized

Carbon Fibre Pad Plates = 11grams

-----
    Last edited by Seb K; 12-24-2016 at 12:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice weight. How is the stopping power with cork? Can you lock up the wheel with one finger braking on carbon rotors. I see you have not bedded in the Alpha rotors on your project bike, have you tried the cork on Kettle rotors.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    I was thinking why don't companies do more of these
    Seriously? If that's what you are thinking, you've gone off the deep end IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Truckerco has carbon backing plate pads.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Truckerco has carbon backing plate pads.
    Just looked at their site . It appears they use steel plate after the carbon (not sure why as carbon has a high temp threshold) and that adds weight . Also it looks like standard carbon sanded down . These are prepreg (much stronger) . Also they don't make them for my brake .

Regarding the rotors they aren't fully bedded but have been used when riding this bike . I announced a few days ago on G+ that I am now making this into a show bike . All parts have been tested and I think it's time for it to stay as it is so people can see what can be done . I have also drained the brakes (I oiled the seals to stop them from drying out) .

Also I got the idea to use cork from some roadies I know who used to ue them on their carbon rims and they said they stopped pretty well but the cork only lasted a few hundred miles . Obviously disc brakes are far more powerful and create more heat so it would be interesting to see how long these last (on a different bike) .

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Seriously? If that's what you are thinking, you've gone off the deep end IMO.
    Not sure why . Nothing wrong in using carbon for pad plates .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There is no steel in the Trucker Co carbon backing plate brake pads. I have a set here and they work pretty well. They're the same weight as the aluminum backing plate pads from Formula. They're a bunch cheaper too and work about the same.

One hard grab on the brakes with those cork friction surfaces and you'll be replacing the pads. The cork will rip right off the backing plate.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic View Post
    There is no steel in the Trucker Co carbon backing plate brake pads. I have a set here and they work pretty well. They're the same weight as the aluminum backing plate pads from Formula. They're a bunch cheaper too and work about the same.

One hard grab on the brakes with those cork friction surfaces and you'll be replacing the pads. The cork will rip right off the backing plate.
    My bad I thought they were steel . Still though 13grams for one pair is 1 gram more than the BrakeForceOne alloy pads I already have .

I have yet to test the cork pad but it is epoxied to the carbon . No way it can come off .

mtbr member
    It's hard for me to imagine that cork pads would last for even 1 short ride. How is their stopping power compared to standard brake pads?

EDIT; just noticed they are untested.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by karimian5 View Post
    My bad I thought they were steel . Still though 13grams for one pair is 1 gram more than the BrakeForceOne alloy pads I already have .

I have yet to test the cork pad but it is epoxied to the carbon . No way it can come off .
    Sure they can. The failure point would be in the cork just inside where it is saturated with epoxy. The shear strength of cork has to be pretty low. I would also wonder about how much heat the cork could take. Cork will burn at temps that metallic pads would not even register as hot. Keep up the cool stuff you do though, I enjoy what you build even if some of it is not totally practical. If no one pushed the envelope we'd all still be riding Highwheelers.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Carbon backing plates (pre-preg or otherwise) sounds like a bad idea. The problem with CF is that there are no resins readily available that can take the heat generated. Road bike rim manufacturers have put a lot of time and effort into developing resins that can handle the rim braking temps on long descents and none have been able to come up with a resin that is 100% fool-proof (eg. riders need to avoid dragging their brakes). The heat build up in a CF backing plate will be much worse than any CF rim braking surface.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For how much work you do with carbon, I'm surprised you say "carbon fiber has a high temp threshold". Yes, carbon FIBERs have a high temp threshold, but the epoxy holding those fibers together may or may not. What is the max temperature rating of the material you are using? In a 5 second Google search, the best I could find was a max operating temp of 400*. Cork on the other hand starts to degrade at 300*, so yeah, I don't think the backing plate is your first order failure.

That said, how does one generate heat in pads when one doesn't have fluid in the brakes?

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    For how much work you do with carbon, I'm surprised you say "carbon fiber has a high temp threshold". Yes, carbon FIBERs have a high temp threshold, but the epoxy holding those fibers together may or may not. What is the max temperature rating of the material you are using? In a 5 second Google search, the best I could find was a max operating temp of 400*. Cork on the other hand starts to degrade at 300*, so yeah, I don't think the backing plate is your first order failure.

That said, how does one generate heat in pads when one doesn't have fluid in the brakes?
    May or may not . That's where testing comes in but haven't got round to doing it yet . Too much work in the way .

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I have a 2.3499 pound bike with no wheels or real components on it, can I be in the show too. Seriously why. Bikes are made to be ridden.
    As for why no one uses them, the resin will melt at normal operating temperatures and they will disintegrate.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I have a 2.3499 pound bike with no wheels or real components on it, can I be in the show too. Seriously why. Bikes are made to be ridden.
    As for why no one uses them, the resin will melt at normal operating temperatures and they will disintegrate.
    No you can't because your bike has no wheels . On a serious note you need to spend more time searching the web for other weight weenies to see what it is all about .