Carbon bar friendly stem options?- Mtbr.com
    Ex-Gunslinger

New question here. Carbon bar friendly stem options?

What are some trusted light stem options to work well with an Easton EC90 carbon bar? I was going to go for a F99 but reading a thread here where a grinder was used before the bar would seat without too much force (200 deg issue) has kinda put me off. I'm looking for a 120mm, neg 6 deg stem that will be sub 140g and pref sub $80US. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Laika; 08-29-2005 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Pretty fussy eh?... Personally I have never found any stem to be an issue with my Easton Monkeylite SL's, you just have to be carefull not to over tighten the bolts - or you may crush the bar. Personally, I quiet like FSA's stems, I'm using a 105mm x 6deg and find it great, even handles my rather heavy weight with no troubles.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Ex-Gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    Pretty fussy eh?
    If not wanting to taking a grinder to a new stem makes me fussy then yeah I'm fussy

The thread that put me off the F99 (I have the same bar as ?Ty?)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...01627#poststop

I'm wondering if a two or four bolt clamp has any pro's or con's for carbon bars? ... I was thinking four might be better (spreading the load?) but that's just a guess.

Let's ride
    Ritchey WCS.

Easily had for $80 or less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika
    If not wanting to taking a grinder to a new stem makes me fussy then yeah I'm fussy
    Aussie Eh?

As for your qestion 2 bolt vs 4 bolt I'd say 4 bolt is easier to get a much even presure on each bolt- also there is more surface area in the face plate, and bolting surfaces so it will be a firmer grip for less presure--- I'm no engineer though so feel free to prove me wrong folks.

The FSA Stem I mentioned above; now I have the name and stats for...
    FSA XC115 Stem
    120mm x 6deg
    Averages 132g which isnt bad for a 120mm stem in my opinion, the weight was taken of weightweenies. As mentioned above, I use a FSA stem, the XC120 model, I find it to be a pretty good stem, big mounting area, and rather strong.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika
    What are some trusted light stem options to work well with an Easton EC90 carbon bar? I was going to go for a F99 but reading a thread here where a grinder was used before the bar would seat without too much force (200 deg issue) has kinda put me off. I’m looking for a 120mm, neg 6 deg stem that will be sub 140g and pref sub $80US…. Any thoughts?

The gentleman in the thread did not need to dremel the stem, as he was perceiving a problem that really wasn't there. I can see where you would want to be cautious with a carbon bar, and the tight fit seemed disconcerting to him. But he appears to be only person in the thread that considered it a problem and, while it seemed tight, it seated fine for everyone else. The Syntace has been used by a great many people on this forum and thats the first that I've seen anyone post about that issue. It is supposed to seat that way. I've been using my F99 for nearly 2 years now with my Maxm carbon bar and no problems at all. I've had the bar off a couple of times and had no problems seating it. Just put it on and tighten the bolts. Use a torque wrench when you do it, which I'm sure you already know, especially with a carbon bar. I would look again at the Syntace, its a great stem. Or if your budget is tight, try the Sette stem. With Ti bolts, it should come in under 140 g's.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-29-2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling issues...go figure
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

I never had an issue with the F99 and ANY bar...

carbon or aluminum. I persoanlly used Extralite, FSA and Syntace carbon bars with no issues what so ever.

If you are worried, then the FSA is a nice choice. The Ritchey WCS seem to be flexy and I have YET a see a confirmed weight (on a scale) of the new WCS stem that supposed to be 106g for a 100mm, I think.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Ex-Gunslinger
    I was kinda set on getting a F99 when I was originally spec'ing out my new Salsa but being new to bike building I thought I should do my research before spending my $$ and then came across that thread. So now I'm sitting on the fence....any more happy carbon bar/F99 users out there?

Let's ride
    Wasn't the guy having specific problems with the new Easton CNT bar. It seemed like a problem to me. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. Or was this a different guy. The problem with that bar seemed very real. We're talking about 'Ty' right? I believe that was his handle.

Maromero

Maxm + F99

using it for almost a year without any problem.
    Yes, you need to apply some pressure, but, no problem with it, at least my MX5 has survived with minor scratches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yep, another happy f99/carbon bar user here. it's just a bit tighter press fit to install the bar due to the 200 deg design. they wouldn't have designed it this way if it was no good or damaged your bars. you'll have no problems, go for it.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Wasn't the guy having specific problems with the new Easton CNT bar. It seemed like a problem to me. He seemed like he knew what he was doing. Or was this a different guy. The problem with that bar seemed very real. We're talking about 'Ty' right? I believe that was his handle.
    Yes, it was Ty. I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't knowledgable, he documented it very well and posted pics and drawings that illustrated it very well. I wonder if he got the roadie stem by mistake, cuz I've never seen a bar and stem that far apart in size as the pictures would seem to show. Is the EC-90 bar any thicker at that point than other bars? I'm just trying to figure out what was causing his problem with the fit. I know others that have used Easton bars (not the EC-90) with the F-99 without problems.

Just passing through....
    Sorry...double post

Ty
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    The gentleman in the thread did not need to dremel the stem, as he was perceiving a problem that really wasn't there.
    The problem was very real, force would not solve it.

...But he appears to be only person in the thread that considered it a problem...
    Hmmmm, I was the only person?

From the very same thread..

eurorider: I have the F99 and the EC90 (old one) and found it was a tight fit indeed .

Gspotrider: my easton ec70 would not fit in properly either. I filed/bevelled the corners of the stem abit to let the bar slide in easier.

IndyRon: Mine was the same way with my F99 and my answer carbon bar.

sean350: Same bar and problem...

top ring: Had the same problem

FPC: I had the same problem with new version EC 70 and F-99 stem.

MDF: Same problem w/ my maxm bar and f99.

The fit is very very very tight, after all the bar has to pass through an opening smaller than its own diameter, if we are to stick to basic physics here, one of the two has to 'give', I decided it was better to remove a little material from the stem, if I had not, the stem would have removed a little material from the carbon bar, I believe I made the right choice.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    The problem was very real, force would not solve it.

Hmmmm, I was the only person?

From the very same thread..

eurorider: I have the F99 and the EC90 (old one) and found it was a tight fit indeed .

Gspotrider: my easton ec70 would not fit in properly either. I filed/bevelled the corners of the stem abit to let the bar slide in easier.

IndyRon: Mine was the same way with my F99 and my answer carbon bar.

sean350: Same bar and problem...

top ring: Had the same problem

FPC: I had the same problem with new version EC 70 and F-99 stem.

MDF: Same problem w/ my maxm bar and f99.

The fit is very very very tight, after all the bar has to pass through an opening smaller than its own diameter, if we are to stick to basic physics here, one of the two has to 'give', I decided it was better to remove a little material from the stem, if I had not, the stem would have removed a little material from the carbon bar, I believe I made the right choice.

You are right Ty, my apologies. I did not read the thread well enough before my first post. Your pictures indeed illustrated it well and I see the problem that you had. I was thinking that the rest did not have the "same" problem in that they (except one) did not have to dremel, and maybe a little blinded by my liking of the Syntace post. I realized it for my second post, but I can see that my first post was way off and I apologize.

Ty
    mtbr member
    You are right Ty, my apologies. I did not read the thread well enough before my first post.

No problemo Mr Medic, I love my Syntace and would recommend it to anyone

tl1
    Bicyclist

My Monkey Lite carbon bar and...

...my Sette Edge stem have gotten along fine right from the start. $25 and 135 grams for a nice 100mm stem is fairly hard to beat.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/127...-Edge-Stem.htm
    Last edited by tl1; 09-05-2005 at 07:03 PM.