Can I shorten carbon bars?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    54

    Can I shorten carbon bars?

    I put a set of Easton Monkeylite carbon fiber bars on my fuel last year, and although I really like them, I wish they were about 1.5" shorter. Is there anyway I can take off .75" off the ends without wrecking them? Thanks, Jesse.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    absolutely. i always do it w/my carbon bars. just wrap the end in electrician's tape and use a hacksaw or just use a pipe cutter.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kersh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    272
    I certainly would not start by cutting .75" off both ends though. You better cut in much smaller increments than that.
    - Just livin' the dream -

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    54
    Thanks for the info. Wasn't to sure about the trimming. Kersh, I will probably take your advise, and start in smaller increments. Thanks again, Jesse.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    100
    When we cut carbon parts at work (aerospace stuff) we use diamond blade wheels but a typical masonry blade from the hardware store should get the job done eventually. Try to get a very thin blade and use a rotary cutter, hopefully an air tool. Taping off where you don't want to cut is a good suggestion as mentioned above. I would stay away from any type of sawing (back and forth) type of cutting as it will split the fibers and lead to delamination. Although it probably won't be a big deal since the bars are really only stressed near the stem clamp. Take your time and good luck!

  6. #6
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Reputation: DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr
    I would stay away from any type of sawing (back and forth) type of cutting as it will split the fibers and lead to delamination. Although it probably won't be a big deal since the bars are really only stressed near the stem clamp. Take your time and good luck!
    Huh?

    I have steer tubes trimmed bars and seatpost for years now using a very, very fine tooth hacksaw 99.9% of shops when cutting your fork use a hacksaw.

    I use a Park Tool Saw Guide and just cut away. Then I wet sand the ends to get them super smooth! The jobs I have done even look like a factory cut. Unless it's cheap carbon or you are rocking that blade side to side when cutting you should be fine!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    166
    Don't use a pipe cutter. It will crush the bar.
    A Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel gives the best results

  8. #8
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: f3rg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,712
    I've used a hacksaw blade with fine teeth, like the type you'd use for cutting metal. Works great every time, just make sure you tape off the section you don't want cut.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    54
    Thanks for the other suggestions. I was originally thinking of an air powered cut off wheel. I was mainly concerned with catching a blade from a hacksaw, and cracking the carbon. (Have heard all the carbon fiber horror stories). Thanks, Jesse.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    100
    DIRT BOY: I wasn't saying that a hack saw wouldn't work, just that I don't suggest it for cutting carbon since it splits the fibers. You could think of it like sawing back and forth with a serrated knife on some jeans, it just frays and tears them up. With a continuous slice using a sharp box knife the threads will have a clean cut.

    But hey, I'm probably just being anal about cutting carbon since the stuff I work on is aerospace and therefore a lot more critical to delam and voids. Which ever method you use, I'm sure the bars won't have a problem as long as you are careful.

  11. #11
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    mine are cut and they look great
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  12. #12
    Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Reputation: Upandatem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr
    DIRT BOY: I wasn't saying that a hack saw wouldn't work, just that I don't suggest it for cutting carbon since it splits the fibers. You could think of it like sawing back and forth with a serrated knife on some jeans, it just frays and tears them up. With a continuous slice using a sharp box knife the threads will have a clean cut.

    But hey, I'm probably just being anal about cutting carbon since the stuff I work on is aerospace and therefore a lot more critical to delam and voids. Which ever method you use, I'm sure the bars won't have a problem as long as you are careful.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you trying to say he should cut his bars with a box cutter?

  13. #13
    Don't be hasty.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    525
    Yes, you're wrong.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you trying to say he should cut his bars with a box cutter?
    No, I am not saying use a box cutter, I was simply comparing two methods of cutting. Just trying to share my experience with composites.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.