Can I shorten carbon bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Can I shorten carbon bars?

I put a set of Easton Monkeylite carbon fiber bars on my fuel last year, and although I really like them, I wish they were about 1.5" shorter. Is there anyway I can take off .75" off the ends without wrecking them? Thanks, Jesse.

mtbr member
    absolutely. i always do it w/my carbon bars. just wrap the end in electrician's tape and use a hacksaw or just use a pipe cutter.

mtbr member
    I certainly would not start by cutting .75" off both ends though. You better cut in much smaller increments than that.
    - Just livin' the dream -

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the info. Wasn't to sure about the trimming. Kersh, I will probably take your advise, and start in smaller increments. Thanks again, Jesse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    When we cut carbon parts at work (aerospace stuff) we use diamond blade wheels but a typical masonry blade from the hardware store should get the job done eventually. Try to get a very thin blade and use a rotary cutter, hopefully an air tool. Taping off where you don't want to cut is a good suggestion as mentioned above. I would stay away from any type of sawing (back and forth) type of cutting as it will split the fibers and lead to delamination. Although it probably won't be a big deal since the bars are really only stressed near the stem clamp. Take your time and good luck!

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr
    I would stay away from any type of sawing (back and forth) type of cutting as it will split the fibers and lead to delamination. Although it probably won't be a big deal since the bars are really only stressed near the stem clamp. Take your time and good luck!
    Huh?

I have steer tubes trimmed bars and seatpost for years now using a very, very fine tooth hacksaw 99.9% of shops when cutting your fork use a hacksaw.

I use a Park Tool Saw Guide and just cut away. Then I wet sand the ends to get them super smooth! The jobs I have done even look like a factory cut. Unless it's cheap carbon or you are rocking that blade side to side when cutting you should be fine!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Don't use a pipe cutter. It will crush the bar.
    A Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel gives the best results

pedal pusher
    I've used a hacksaw blade with fine teeth, like the type you'd use for cutting metal. Works great every time, just make sure you tape off the section you don't want cut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the other suggestions. I was originally thinking of an air powered cut off wheel. I was mainly concerned with catching a blade from a hacksaw, and cracking the carbon. (Have heard all the carbon fiber horror stories). Thanks, Jesse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    DIRT BOY: I wasn't saying that a hack saw wouldn't work, just that I don't suggest it for cutting carbon since it splits the fibers. You could think of it like sawing back and forth with a serrated knife on some jeans, it just frays and tears them up. With a continuous slice using a sharp box knife the threads will have a clean cut.

But hey, I'm probably just being anal about cutting carbon since the stuff I work on is aerospace and therefore a lot more critical to delam and voids. Which ever method you use, I'm sure the bars won't have a problem as long as you are careful.

GAME ON!
    mine are cut and they look great
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr
    DIRT BOY: I wasn't saying that a hack saw wouldn't work, just that I don't suggest it for cutting carbon since it splits the fibers. You could think of it like sawing back and forth with a serrated knife on some jeans, it just frays and tears them up. With a continuous slice using a sharp box knife the threads will have a clean cut.

But hey, I'm probably just being anal about cutting carbon since the stuff I work on is aerospace and therefore a lot more critical to delam and voids. Which ever method you use, I'm sure the bars won't have a problem as long as you are careful.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you trying to say he should cut his bars with a box cutter?

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Yes, you're wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you trying to say he should cut his bars with a box cutter?
    No, I am not saying use a box cutter, I was simply comparing two methods of cutting. Just trying to share my experience with composites.

Members who have read this thread: 0