Specialized

Can anyone prove these bike weights ?!!!

I see a lot of these bikes with the weights laid out but with no proof . Why can't people just take a picture of the bike on scales ?!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone prove these bike weights ?!!!-cimg4733.jpg  

Can anyone prove these bike weights ?!!!-scale_limited_01.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    These bikes are old, very old. They were around where I first started being a WW. They had their threads mostly on Light-bikes.de

Chris.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by krzysiekmz View Post
    These bikes are old, very old. They were around where I first started being a WW. They had their threads mostly on Light-bikes.de

Chris.
    Yet no one has beaten their record for the same setup since . I've been on Light-bikes.de and have checked forums but to no avail .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's because you would need to be into old school bikes and an old school weight weenie.

Bikes have moved on with light frames no longer supporting v-breakes, wider rims and wider tires with decent traction etc. It took me a while to get here but in the end a few hundred grams extra really makes for more enjoyable and capable bike. I could still put together a sub 6kg hardtail on v-breakes form what I own, but it would get the lease ridden.

Chris.

Specialized
    That's because you would need to be into old school bikes and an old school weight weenie.

Bikes have moved on with light frames no longer supporting v-breakes, wider rims and wider tires with decent traction etc. It took me a while to get here but in the end a few hundred grams extra really makes for more enjoyable and capable bike. I could still put together a sub 6kg hardtail on v-breakes form what I own, but it would get the lease ridden.

Chris.
    I see your point . Also bolt thru axes tend to be on the increase too .

Hardtail Steel Forever
    What's the reported weights on those? My '96 steel Bontrager Privateer running a 2x10 mountain drivetrain and a SID up front is under 20 lbs with unremarkable parts on it. I will admit having built about a dozen 95 - 2000 hardtail bikes in the past 10 years, I am skeptical when I see sub-13 lb bikes with front suspension and an actual geared setup.

Not saying it's impossible, but I recently built up a Voodoo Djab with a ~3.1lb frame, and extremely light wheels (admittedly decently usable 26x2.25 tires), and I'm having a hard time seeing how I can get it under 15 lbs with a geared drivetrain.

Some stuff lops a ton of weight off in a hurry though. Start with a 3lb or less frame like a scott scale and go with a 98 or 99 SID which run about 1100 - 1200g with v brake posts and you have a good start at least.

Some of the rim brake wheels are stupidly light as well. I just built up a tubeless set using ZTR 355 rims and Dt240s hubs and got it down to 1380g with rim tape and valves. There's a few rims out there that are even lighter especially when using 24 or 28 spokes.

If you look at some of the V brake setups like KCNC's, Pauls, and a few others, you can basically have an entire brake set with levers for something like 200g total. Tons of weight savings over disc, but still it comes to a point where you can't safely lose any more no matter what you do.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

●●●●●●●●◌◌

Chris.
    Further to your point Chris, a lot of platforms are now 29ers, and with that comes more weight. So while some folks are still on 26in, I'd say there are fewer folks in that club now, and some of those earlier weights are harder to achieve.

Specialized
    The top one is 5.8kg and the bottom one is 5.08kg both done by Heinz Wittmann .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most of Heinz's bikes became WW experiments in trying to reduce evrything to a weight and not necessarily rideable. Inspiration can have it's benefits to us as well as to manufacturers that push the limits into new directions.

This was the only time I have seen Heinz put any of his bikes on a scale

Specialized
    Awesome man . Cheers .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    supposedly his 5.2kg bike with the 776g Rockshox's were empty, so why not have a lighter rigid fork. Bit like your quandary as to stick with a rigid or put on the Lauf on your bike. It becomes what is lightest for a given ideal or at least what is percieved as a MTB. Which these days is a HT or FS with discs, and susupension and 1x11 gears, 34-40t cassettes and 2-2.25 tyres.
    From that basis, the WW tinkering can begin, from a more even start point be it shaving, sanding existing parts or redesigning existing parts in new ways or materials.

Specialized
    True although regarding the Lauf I have come to realise that it really is just an extra addition to a rigid fork and not a full on suspension fork . So kinda makes sense in terms of weight reduction to put the rigid back on . I keep going back and fourth but this time I am sticking with the rigid . I don't want to wear anything down with the constant swapping . I can keep the Lauf for a future project perhaps .

Oh and I shave another 7 grams off the rigid . I will update on G+ .

mtbr member
    Even a picture of a bike with a scale does not give proof. Just means the scale is set / adjusted to a certain weight with a bike hanging from it. I think many people lie about the weight of their bikes and fiddle with their scales for a photo.
    I have seen far to many sub 20 pound geared, suspension bikes and take the weight with a grain of salt.