Bulging Nokians.......Bubble Boy tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bulging Nokians.......Bubble Boy tires

Just wondering about Nokians.
    Of course for my unusual uses....for which I will not go into further explanation.
    As I've told people here, I was running very worn Nokians on the road at about 59-61 psi.
    Well, before long, they seem to find a weak point and begin to bulge out from side to side.
    All is going well, and the I look down and detect what looks like a wobble. In a day or so of riding it increases and the whole tire looks distorted.
    Seems like the casing is being deformed bulging the tire out on one side.

BTW, it ONLY seems to happen on the rear tires... Front Nokian seems to go forever at 59 psi.

How come this is happening. Is it because the tires are worn or is it because the psi is up too high at over 60 psi?
    If 60 psi is too high, why do they put 65 psi on the tire?

Of course I'm not suggesting anyone ride 60 to 65 psi on the trails, but thats what the tire says is acceptable.

OH, one other question.
    I"ve almost given up on using worn Nokians for speed on the pavement. I've run out of old worn Nokians.
    So now for a while, I've been running a cheap Performance brand 1.25 slick which says 85 psi on the sidewall.
    Would it be crazy to run it at 90 psi or 100 psi? Very dangerous?
    I see Specialized has a 26x1.25 Fatboy slick which they say is a 100 psi tire

Do ya think a Specialized All Condition Pro 26x1.0 tire rated at 115-125 psi would be much faster than the 1.25 Performance slick at 85 psi run at about 90 psi?

banned

what if...

Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    Just wondering about Nokians.
    Of course for my unusual uses....for which I will not go into further explanation.
    As I've told people here, I was running very worn Nokians on the road at about 59-61 psi.
    Well, before long, they seem to find a weak point and begin to bulge out from side to side.
    All is going well, and the I look down and detect what looks like a wobble. In a day or so of riding it increases and the whole tire looks distorted.
    Seems like the casing is being deformed bulging the tire out on one side.

BTW, it ONLY seems to happen on the rear tires... Front Nokian seems to go forever at 59 psi.

How come this is happening. Is it because the tires are worn or is it because the psi is up too high at over 60 psi?
    If 60 psi is too high, why do they put 65 psi on the tire?

Of course I'm not suggesting anyone ride 60 to 65 psi on the trails, but thats what the tire says is acceptable.

OH, one other question.
    I"ve almost given up on using worn Nokians for speed on the pavement. I've run out of old worn Nokians.
    So now for a while, I've been running a cheap Performance brand 1.25 slick which says 85 psi on the sidewall.
    Would it be crazy to run it at 90 psi or 100 psi? Very dangerous?
    I see Specialized has a 26x1.25 Fatboy slick which they say is a 100 psi tire

Do ya think a Specialized All Condition Pro 26x1.0 tire rated at 115-125 psi would be much faster than the 1.25 Performance slick at 85 psi run at about 90 psi?
    what if your pressure gauge is off by a couple of psi???
    it might be as easy as that to find a solution to your problems....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how do you find a accurate guage? do they come on cheap pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    what if your pressure gauge is off by a couple of psi???
    it might be as easy as that to find a solution to your problems....
    yes, I never thought about my cheap pump pressure guage being off by 2 to 5 pounds?

Still, I think the Nokians are NOT meant to be run at 65 psi (although my present front Nokian has gone for seemingly 3,000 plus miles at about 59 psi. seems to go forever....just shows how much more wear a rear tires gets)
    From some previously failed Nokians, when I was only running 38 to 44 psi on the trails, I get the idea that Nokians are not a tough tire. Very fast, as we all agree, but not a greatly strong tire casing.

Anyway now, I'm still running a Nokian on the front so I can safely transit through some gentle off road trails in the ajacent park, and now I plan to put a 26x1.0 Specialized All Condition Pro on the rear. ....... a true hybred bike setup....

I figure I'll get about 60+ percent of the rolling resistance savings by using that fast tire on the rear since the weight distribution is about 40/60......but I still retain some off road control by using the worn front Nokian at about 59 psi.....which I can lower to 37 psi if I want to go further off road.

So far I've only been using the 1.25 slick on the rear tire at 85 psi. I might try it at 95-100 unless someone thinks that might blow the tire???? or be dangerous
    Otherwise I"ll have to buy a All Condition Pro by Specialized which is rated 115-125 psi
    It is a true 26x1.0 race type tire.

mtbr member
    I've been reading your posts about these tire for what seems like years (I just can't help myself). Your obsessed with these things. There is no tire that is going to do everything well and be lightweight and durable at the same time. The NBX lites have good traction and roll as fast as anything but they wear quickly and cut easily on rocks.

My favorite all-purpose tire for road and off-road riding are the Hutchinson Pythons because they hold up to rocks and the tread lasts a long time, compared to most other treaded tires. They roll fairly well on the road for a tire with durability and some traction off-road. Max psi is 80, but 60 should be plenty, perhaps too much with the high air volume of the tire. I run them at a wimpy 40 psi.

Slick tires would make your bike as fast as a road bike other than the aerodynamic inefficiency of your position. But their small circumference makes your high gears too easy for the road, making larger chainrings a necessity if you want to ride as fast as roadies. And even as a rear tire they don't handle well in any situation off-road other than riding straight on the flats with no rocks or roots or any actual obstacles.

Here's what you really need (budget be damned): a cyclocross bike with flat bars and Ritchey Speedmax tires or some other semi-slick. That setup would easily be as fast as a mountain bike with NBX lites on the road and would handle better than a mountain bike with slicks off-road. Or maybe get a 29'er and use the cyclocross tires with slightly higher gearing. Then you could put the NBX tires far behind you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pythons at 80......interesting

Quote Originally Posted by kingfurby
    I've been reading your posts about these tire for what seems like years (I just can't help myself). Your obsessed with these things. There is no tire that is going to do everything well and be lightweight and durable at the same time. The NBX lites have good traction and roll as fast as anything but they wear quickly and cut easily on rocks.

My favorite all-purpose tire for road and off-road riding are the Hutchinson Pythons because they hold up to rocks and the tread lasts a long time, compared to most other treaded tires. They roll fairly well on the road for a tire with durability and some traction off-road. Max psi is 80, but 60 should be plenty, perhaps too much with the high air volume of the tire. I run them at a wimpy 40 psi.

Hey, I have a Python downstairs, and I just looked at it. Sure enough, as you said, it says 80 psi on the side. Never saw that before and just assumed it was 60 or 65.
    Interesting since it is a larger volume tire than the Nokian.
    I may have to wear it down a bit since I only think I've put less than 1,000 miles on it so far.
    I guess I got into the Nokians after the German tests showed the Nokians at 21.2 watts and the Pythons at 26.2 watts, but of course all those tests were done at about 40 psi.
    Anyway, thanks for the new thoughts, especially since they include a tire I already have in stock in my tire "pile".

I

Members who have read this thread: 0