Budgetlight forks- Mtbr.com
    ballbuster

Budgetlight forks

Hi all,

I just leared that my 2002 Duke Race needs way more bucks to rebuild that it is worth. If it holds air, Imonna slap it on a beater townie kinda bike, but on my racer it will not go.

What is the current short list for budgetlight forks?

I'm currently looking at a Manitou Black Super Air 100mm at Supergo for $259. At 3.5 lbs claimed weight, I don't think I could do much better for the dough for a new fork.

I also found a Fox Vanilla RLC 100mm for a good price, but prolly more like 4.25 lbs.

This is for a hardtail bike I'm building strictly for buff XC racecourses, like Sea Otter and such. I'm shooting for around 22 lbs to hammer up that climb out. The bike is 24 lbs with a 5.5 lb Jett fork on it now.

I'm close to 200 lbs fully geared up and would like something with nice plush suspension. A lockout would be a plus for out of saddle hammering. This is going on a 2000 Giant Yukon frame.

I currently have a Reba on my FS rig, and love it. It does not have brake bosses, tho. I guess the '06s have brake bosses, but the rebas are prolly more than I can spend.

I would also like something that is not going to go in a dumpster in 3 years of use. I don't beat my gear up, but I expect it to last a bit longer than that.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-20-2005 at 10:52 PM.

ballbuster

Rats

Turns out that the $260 deal on the Black was a misprint. Goes for $350, which is no longer a great deal.

I picked up a 2002 Marathon S 100mm from a bud who will let me return it if I hate it. So far, I'm not loving it, but have yet to get it on dirt and dial it in. I think it is too tall for my frame, anyway.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Turns out that the $260 deal on the Black was a misprint. Goes for $350, which is no longer a great deal.

I picked up a 2002 Marathon S 100mm from a bud who will let me return it if I hate it. So far, I'm not loving it, but have yet to get it on dirt and dial it in. I think it is too tall for my frame, anyway.
    FWIW, I have a 03' Black Elite 80/100. Although it is not the best fork out there, I like its reliability/weight/$$/strength point. I think it is under rated. It is about 4 lbs or so, not super light or heavy. I am going to get it serviced for the first time in 3 years tomorrow Anyways, keep your eyes peeled (sometime down the road maybe).

Mike
    Tuff Schist

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    I got a Manitou Skareb Super 80mm with TPC lockout for about $275 at Performance Bikes a while ago and it has been a good fork and fairly light too, about 3-1/4 lbs I think. It has both disc caliper and v-brake/cantilever mounts.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    there is a set of noleen megaair's on ebay right now.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I second the Manitou Skereb suggestion because it sounds like it's everything you're looking for.

These forks weigh less than 3.3 lbs and are super-plush. One of the best kept secrets in the XC world IMO. Skarebs usually go for super cheap on ebay or craigslist. I've seen platinum versions sell for ~$150. For that price you can't go wrong.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    there is a set of noleen megaair's on ebay right now.

Gee...thanks for telling em. I was hoping to get my 4th Noleen.......

Seriously though, this is the best budgetlight fork yet.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    why would you need to get "geared" up for XC racing?? helmet,shoes,gloves, glasses and lycra is all you need. good luck carrying 200+ lbs up the climb at Sea Otter, or any aggro XC course.

ballbuster

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by CX&XC
    why would you need to get "geared" up for XC racing?? helmet,shoes,gloves, glasses and lycra is all you need. good luck carrying 200+ lbs up the climb at Sea Otter, or any aggro XC course.
    ... for the words of encouragement.

JSYK, us larger mamals usually develop large muscle bases to support our fat asses, so yes, I do get up the hills thank you very much. I just want to get up there faster.

I've already raced SO twice and ridden it countless times, not to mention doing the 24hoa out there twice. I race with minimal gear... water pack, CO2 inflator, spare tube and a multi-tool and a water bottle of Accelerade. 24 hour races, I loose the waterpack and use two bottles and a seat bag.

I was working on shaving weight of my 26.5 lb FS bike (4" front and back) by building a hardtail. So far with a Marzocchi Marathon, and LX parts (what I had lying around the garage) I'm at 23.5 lbs without hardly spending any dough. As I save up some dough, I'll shave some more off of that.

Sea Otter is won in the climbs. I do the downs plenty fast, but not so fast that I don't loose my gains in the climbs. Climbs are my weak point... although I middle ringed Hurl Hill once when I broke my granny off early in a ride. That hurt!

And Sea Otter is not "aggro" by any strech of the imagination.

So, Jericho Josh hooked me up with a Marz Marathon with air springs. Not light at all at nearly 4 lbs, but feels nice and plush. I may still get a Skareb, but this works for now.

ballbuster

Ordered a Black Air

... from Supergo. It was on sale for $255. I applied a 15% off coupon (872993) and with $18.xx tax and $10 freight to make $246 landed.

3.5 lbs and a lockout. Can't beat that.

Members who have read this thread: 0