Brakes Selection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Brakes Selection

OK, so I have been researching possible brake choices:

R1 (and R1R): pros: lightest, good stopping power and modulation,
    cons: expensive, close pad/rotor tolerances result in somewhat tricky set up

Hope Race X2: pros: light, reasonable price, easy to set up and runs drag free
    cons: not the best for stopping power

XTR: pros: reasonable price, best stopping power/modulation, easy set up
    cons: not the lightest, but pretty light

I am looking for a lightweight brake, which runs drag free, and has decent power and modulation. I will not be using any sketchy rotors (scrub, innolite, etc) but am willing to use light steel rotors, like Hope or New Ultimate.

What do you guys think? Is it reasonable to get R1s running reliably drag free without constant tweaking and adjusting?

BTW: I am not considering the new Maguras, as the price is just a little beyond what I would like to spend for brakes.

mtbr member
    I really like my R1 brakes, but may get the XTR if I was in the market. I have ridden them some, and several of my team mates have them. They are awesome and worth the extra weight.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    I really like my R1 brakes, but may get the XTR if I was in the market. I have ridden them some, and several of my team mates have them. They are awesome and worth the extra weight.
    I'll second that. XT and XTR disc brakes are about the only brake I've not had to constantly tinker with to keep them from rubbing.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i got the KCNC's and they have been awesome! as for what you listed i felt the r1's were really on/off without modulation, i felt the xtr's were a bit better modulation both had good power but i just rode around a bit on them didn't get to ride on them.
    out of the three i think xtr's the safe bet but i'd probably take the gamble at the hope's( which will come with one of the best rotor's you can get)
    RAH!

bike rider
    The pistons on my R1s retract consistently so there's no rub so long as the rotor is straight and the hub/frame/fork are stiff. Shimanos definitely have more clearance though.

P.S. R1 rotors are the lightest that still have enough braking surface to feel normal. They'd be my pick for use with any brake unless you have center-lock hubs. Then the new Shimano sandwich rotors intrigue me.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    My .02: Get the XTR's.

I've had 3 sets of Avid XX brakes, and I think they're great once you swap out the stock pads. But the XTR's are easier to set up, easier to bleed, have a little more power, and have a better feel (imo). Once you swap out the clamp bolts to Al and mounting hardware to Ti, the weight is pretty good.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

ups and downs
    I'd agree on the new XTR race brakes, they have more than enough power that for XC use you can use 160/140 rotors and not feel under braked.

The only place I don't like the new XTR's is on very slow technical trail surfaces where you're doing a lot of simultaneous steering and braking over obstacles as the 1 finger brake levers respond to very small changes in lever pressure, so it is easy to get a wheel to lockup while dropping over a root or rock. Sometimes that can be a surprise.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The only place I don't like the new XTR's is on very slow technical trail surfaces where you're doing a lot of simultaneous steering and braking over obstacles as the 1 finger brake levers respond to very small changes in lever pressure, so it is easy to get a wheel to lockup while dropping over a root or rock. Sometimes that can be a surprise.
    I haven't experienced this, but I am running XX rotors. Or maybe I just have wimpy grip power...
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

ups and downs
    The ICE Tech rotors are a game changer, and worth it if you have CL hubs. Even putting ICE Tech rotors on the older 970 brakes makes a huge difference. I don't know if the stainless on the outer surface of the steel/aluminium/steel sandwich is softer than the stainless on old rotors but you can get 95% of the stopping power on the first squeeze of the lever before you get them bedded in.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada