Bontrager X-Lite Disc not very lite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Bontrager X-Lite Disc not very lite

Got my Bontrater X-lite disc wheelset this week and put them on my digital scale. Lets just say the claim weight of 1540g is not even in the ball park. Mine weighed in at 1679g w/o skewers I couldnt be anymore disappointed. Actually thinking about returning them. I can see being of 10-30g off advertised, but 130g off is blantant lying. [/end rant]

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    They probablly weigh them before putting the grease in
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    That's interresting.

I weighed mine too a few months back - 1670grams inc rim stips and valve's - no skewers.

I'd like to know where Bontrager get 1540grams!

No longer 26
    Weird, my Race 29er wheels weighed 830 and 840 (w/TLR strip) and were advertised as 820 I believe. My rear DT240 Mustang TLR w/o rimstrip is the same as their race X lite 29er at 940 grams.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    It's like all Bontrager's stuff - over weight. The wheels are the only bontrager part on my bike - but im wanting to replace them ASAP with a custom 1470g wheelset.

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Bontrager is awful for advertised weights. My Fuel ex 6 is mostly Bontrager equipped and it came in 3 pounds over what Trek said it should weigh.

mtbr member
    I don't have a very high opinion of Bontrager Components. Some of their stuff is nice, but you have to spend the money to get the Race XXX Lite stuff. I like their water bottle cages... but that's about it. I have a Trek road bike and the seatpost, stem, handlebars, handlebar tape, wheels, tires, and saddle were all Bontrager. I switched out saddles and tires. All Bontrager tires are rotten.

A Real Winner.
    Bontrager lies about weights? More like everyone lies about weights! That's why we have this forum, right? Don't feel bad, I've never gotten a pair of Mavic Crossmaxs that weigh near their claimed weights either. The only company I've found to be 100% accurate about claimed weights has been NoTubes. They have told me the exact weights of the wheels I've purchased from them in the past, and they've shown up at that exact weight. You can't argue with that!!!

As for Bontrager in general, they make good generic stuff. I'd be happy with anything they made, just not my first choice of parts.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Members who have read this thread: 0