Bike Tracker- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Tracker

mtbr member

Bike Tracker

Hello guys! I don't know which thread to post this but since this is my "home" forum and most of us weight weenies are also techno weenies and I can bet that majority of our bikes here costs a whole bunch of $$$ too, I think you guys might be interested and give suggestions.
    Last saturday, a group of my friends (6 of them) were on a ride on a local open trail when they got robbed by a group of armed men. A shotgun and 3 pistols were pointed at them and forced to lie face down on the ground as the robbers took their packs and bikes. Its a good thing no one got hurt but this got me thinking if there are any existing bike tracker out there being offered. I was thinking maybe you can hide a gps tracker on your seattube or something but I was told that gps doesn't go through metal. I just ordered a custom Kent Eriksen Ti frame which is due to arrive in a couple of weeks and I sure would be pissed BIG time if its stolen from me. Thanks and hope to hear from you guys!

ups and downs
    If they strip the bikes for parts it's unlikely that any GPS device would remain hidden long.

The current commercial real time devices are not that small, certainly not smaller than a cellphone with GPS tracking. The GPS tracking recorders are smaller, but those are only something that you can download tracking info from.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Thanks rocky. But at least a 2-3hr. chance of tracking your bike would be better than just waiting for the police investigate and look for it. I'm looking at something like this to keep under my saddle. http://cgi.ebay.com/Smallest-Real-Ti...item4a9e20b36e
    What do you guys think?

ups and downs
    That would be pretty easy to spot under the saddle unless you use a saddle bag and don't put anything other than the GPS tracker and a spare tube in it. I think it might be easier to just have enough insurance to cover the bike for theft.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I have a tracker similar to that one, I wired a charger to my car and plugged the tracker in so it charges while the car is on and runs on battery when the car is off.

Only problem with this for a bike is the battery only lasts 12-20 hours on the model i got and i'm sure most are the same. I'm sure you can find one small enough to fit/mount in your seat tube though, in my mind that's the ideal spot for a bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks GTR2ebike! What's the exact brand/model that you have? Does it really work? How's the accuracy? Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0