Better Suspension worth the weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Better Suspension worth the weight?

I ride a Cannondale hardtail and am thinking about replacing my headshok with a Fox F80RLT. The combo of piggy reducer headset and fork would put about 1.5 lbs. on my bike that is already in the 25 lb. range. I race, too, by the way. So, for those who've had the Fox Experience, is the weight gain worth it?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

The new MBA has a headshock upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    I ride a Cannondale hardtail and am thinking about replacing my headshok with a Fox F80RLT. The combo of piggy reducer headset and fork would put about 1.5 lbs. on my bike that is already in the 25 lb. range. I race, too, by the way. So, for those who've had the Fox Experience, is the weight gain worth it?
    I really did not check it out but for $250 you can upgrade the headshock. I think the headshock system is pretty dated in today's world of suspension; however, if you race on fairly smooth trails, it may make some sense because the system is so rigid. Maybe someone else can help me out on the upgrade system.

Jaybo

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I really did not check it out but for $250 you can upgrade the headshock. I think the headshock system is pretty dated in today's world of suspension; however, if you race on fairly smooth trails, it may make some sense because the system is so rigid. Maybe someone else can help me out on the upgrade system.

Jaybo
    Magura has a headshok upgrade. Increases the usable travel. I haven't read much in the way of reviews for it, though. I really wish they'd tweak the Headshok platform, because I still think it has value. They already have Fox do their Terralogic stuff on the Lefty, I wish the Headshok had a similar slider and damping system as the Fox. The lateral rigidity, tracking and light weight of a Headshok mated with the plushness of a Fox would be an awesome fork.

To fine tune the damping on my Headshok means I have to take it in to a shop that works on Cannondales and pay about $60 bucks to change the oil.......that's really stupid. I have my Fox RLT on my other bikes and won't go back to anything else (except maybe the new Manitou 7 when it comes out).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think standard headshoks just plain suck. But a lefty or headshok is a must for a c'dale. If I were you , I would tune your fork at: www.eighty-aid.com. They tune a lot of lefty's and headshoks for racers. Maybe also something for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, part of the problem has been solved. For more or less the same price as the Cane Creek headset at 247 g, I found a Woodman headset at a claimed 168 g. That's a little more in line with what you would expect a headset to weigh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Well, part of the problem has been solved. For more or less the same price as the Cane Creek headset at 247 g, I found a Woodman headset at a claimed 168 g. That's a little more in line with what you would expect a headset to weigh.
    I am using the 'Cane Creek Double Xc Flush' headset 189g for my cannondale hardtail with a 80mm SID, but the anlge of the bike changed which I don't like, I suggested you should estimated the changed fork-and-headset length and compared to the current.

This headset is also thinner than the one you descript so make mine bike lower at the front.