Best Weight Weenie Components under $50- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Weight Weenie Components under $50

Here are some of my favorite budget-friendly lightweight components. I'm eager to hear your thoughts and favorite recommendations as well!

Btw, I have no idea what inspired this post but I just thought it might be helpful to somebody.

HANDLEBARS
    I'll respect your right to complain about smashing out some teeth, but I'm going to recommend chiner carbon bars. Don't overtighten anything mounted to your bars and you will be just fine. I have them on all my bikes and have intentionally abused them, but they handle up just fine. Avoid FCFB and knockoffs.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_7477-copy.jpg
    Price: $15
    Weight: 135-145g (31.6mm 720mm)
    Link: AliExpress

There just isn't anything else in the budget category. Yes, these things can break, but not often. Boutique carbon handlebars break too even though they cost 10x more.

If you're a fan of integrated handlebars, you may fancy this -17-degree Hixon-like and very lightweight offbrand product:

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_5697-copy.jpg
    Price: $49 (cheaper on Alibaba from Winow Sports)
    Weight: 255g for 800mm version
    Review: MTBR

STEMS
    Kalloy Uno stems off eBay rule. I use them on every bike.
    Best Weight Weenie Components under -10-min.jpg
    Price: ~$25
    Weight: 84g+
    Just look on eBay

If you're looking for a good carbon stem, and don't care for the crappy logos stickered onto most AliExpress stuff, I recommend this stem which I have used and liked:

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_5644.jpg
    Price: $22
    Weight: 120g+

SEATPOSTS
    I always use off-brand carbon seatposts from AliExpress. They are generally trouble-free, super-stiff, and affordable. You can get the classic set-back seatpost or a newer and "skyline" ultralight model. These seatposts will work just fine with oval carbon saddle rails, despite the fact that manufacturers typically recommend against that. Don't overtighten the bolts.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -seatpost1.jpg
    Weight: 151g (31.6mm x 400mm), includes all mounting hardware
    Price: $28

NOTE: I snapped one of these Ti bolts on an impact, and shortly thereafter bent the alloy bar which passes through the carbon post. While exerting an intentional force not unlike a riding impact on the bent alloy bar it completely cracked. Despite trips to the hardware store to try and rebuild the seatpost the mechanism remained flimsy.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -seatpost2.jpg
    Weight: 217g (31.6mm x 400mm), includes all mounting hardware
    Price: $20

SEATPOST CLAMPS
    Stock alloy clamps tend to be quite heavy (20-35g), so you can save a little over a gram per dollar here. The most popular option is to go all-carbon, but it turns out there are even lighter alloy versions available too (thanks to _ja_ for the suggestion!). I use the carbon clamps on all my bikes, but may just try the alloy clamp soon!

Name:  seatclamp2.jpg
Views: 3720
Size:  46.4 KB
    Weight: 14g (incl. bolts)
    Price: $9

Name:  seatclamp1.jpg
Views: 3737
Size:  66.7 KB
    Weight: 7.6g (w/o bolts, ~8.5g w/ bolts). Jumbotron reports 14g.
    Price: $7.29 shipped

ROTORS

Ashima AI2 rotors are the go-to for weight-weenies, and I use them on all my bikes. They work really well and do not eat up brake pads, contrary to popular legend.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -8-min.jpg
    Weight: 67g (160mm)
    Price: ~$15 ea.
    Link: eBay, sellers are authentic, best prices on eBay

Just recently I noticed a similar unbranded option from China at half price. It looks like it's built well and reviews are positive, but I haven't tested it yet
    Best Weight Weenie Components under -rotor1.jpg
    Weight: 68g (160mm)
    Price:
    $14/pair

GRIPS
    Although Extralite Hypergrips and Ritchey Superlogic grips are "affordable", they tend to rotate on bars unless properly secured with glue, and smush down over time. It's important to get to grips with personal preferences here. My favorites are the eBay version of ESI chunkies, but they aren't quite so chunky and are 3x lighter and 10x cheaper. I choose them for every build due to superior comfort, secure mounting to any bar, and longevity.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -11-min.jpg
    Weight: 24-28g (incl. bar end caps)
    Price: $0.99-$1.50
    Link: eBay

SADDLES
    Hardcore weight weenies will opt for raw carbon saddles, but most riders will prefer a little padding. I much prefer a raw carbon saddle as I can slide and rotate without any stress to my skin, basically eliminating saddle sores. I've tried a few, but the Rockbros full-carbon saddle has checked all the boxes for me:

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_1478.jpg
    Weight: 89g
    Price: $28.50

A saddle I've used a lot with great success (albeit slightly more saddle sores) is a real hit with a lot of folks and friends of mine, and comfortable if you don't rub much. It has carbon rails epoxied to a carbon shell, a microfiber cover and hard foam injected between the shell and cover for comfort.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -12-min.jpg
    Weight: 134g
    Price: $29

If you're looking for a shorter saddle or a bit more butt comfort without too much weight penalty, there's this familiar-looking unbranded option (thanks to Suns_PSD for the suggestion):
    Best Weight Weenie Components under -saddle.jpg
    Weight: 160g
    Price: $35

I don't have experience with this $23 115g saddle (AliExpress), and I'm not a fan of knock-offs.

REAR AXLE
    There are a lot of options here, and it will differ depending on your bike, but it's easy to find an axle for your bike around 40 grams for $25 or less. I recommend Maxles off eBay since they're really light and come in every flavor. Pay attention to thread pitch, thread pitch length, overall axle length, and don't get Syntace axles unless you have a Syntace dropout.

CHAIN
    Of the 11-speed chains, PYC SP1101 is the lightest and cheapest and still strong enough to rival any other manufacturer's high-end models.

Weight: 225g (116 links)
    Price: $32

I deliberately left off titanium bolts, carbon top caps, derailleur pulleys, and ultralight cheap bottle cages. These are not cost-effective ways to save weight even though many people try them. Titanium bolts are expensive relative to weight saved, carbon top caps don't save weight, and ultralight cheap bottle cages tend to break and set you back in the long term.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Weight Weenie Components under -handlebar.jpg  

Last edited by sissypants; 03-12-2019 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    These are some pretty critical areas to be saving weight. If a saddle, seatpost, stem or bars break it's quite a bit worse than busting a crank, pedal or wheel.

Are there any tests done on the bars for example?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think this seatpost clamp goes in this thread.

Weight: ~8g
    Price: $ 4,24
    Link: aliexpress

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _ja_ View Post
    I think this seatpost clamp goes in this thread.

Weight: ~8g
    Price: $ 4,24
    Link: aliexpress
    Very nice! I've updated the thread. I notice their advertised weight excludes the bolt and the price + shipping is a little more, but it's still a great deal and looks like a great product!

It's the axle
    Funny you'd post this. I'm all over these items. I got the stem that could very well be the same manufacturer for Thompson. I've found some of these companies are selling the same exact products that are rebranded and sold for a ton in the US.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Nice list and quality for price and weight seems reasonable. Most should hold up to smooth single track and fire-trail riding on XC or hardtail bikes.
    Intended use makes a big difference in even considering some of these parts. I'm almost 200lb and ride tough trails so none of these components would hold up, but they would be a great way to shave weight on my kids bikes.
    Shimano rotor for life. Hate the feel and lack of thermal mass those tiny rotors give.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was just looking at saddles on ebay/aliexpress before coming here today, a friend just got one of those padded ones like you show above for $29, it's looks quite good in person, although I would prefer one without perforations which would be likely to collect sand etc. I feel similarly about the logo'd knock offs, but that $23 one has a good looking shape.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Fun post, although several of those components I would not trust.

I run an Alibaba copy of a $300 Specialized Power seat (which I also have) and I actually really prefer the Alibaba version. Just as light, while providing significantly more padding which I needed.

I do use the CF seat clamp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do you have a link to the Alibaba version of the saddle? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've got 2 of those setback seatposts, bxt brand off ebay (looks exactly like pictured above), they are $18.80 shipped off ebay. I've got them on my kids mtb and his road bike, -pretty big kid at about 140 pounds now.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbon...r=521462113326

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spec47 View Post
    Do you have a link to the Alibaba version of the saddle? Thanks
    US $29.38 41%OFF | Bicycle Carbon Saddle Full Carbon Fiber Racing Bike Road Bike Front Saddle Bike Spare Parts155mm Lightweight Seat Cushion power
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ARekoGo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ordered what appears to be the same saddle as sissy but I got it off amazon for $37.99. A little more expensive but you get it in 2 days. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Are these components really tested and used in the XC weight weenie world? Currently, I am mainly only interested in the bars as I am looking to move to a flat bar, but I am concerned of the durability with these things only being less than $30? That'd save 80 grams over my current bars. I am 170lb or lower depending on day

mtbr member
    Just bought these bars for my wife’s build they look just like bars made by loaded I’ve run before on Ellsworth. Bought the stem it looks and weight resembles ibis stem on my mojo from years ago. Probably the same products just not rebranding and 10x price. They look really high quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have the "San Marco" saddle posted here, is ok lightweight and medium comfortable. I used on 100 km rides and fell good

Enviado desde mi moto x4 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Thanks for the link! That's a great option for weight weenies who need a bit more cushion or a shorter saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by global View Post
    Just bought these bars for my wife’s build they look just like bars made by loaded I’ve run before on Ellsworth. Bought the stem it looks and weight resembles ibis stem on my mojo from years ago. Probably the same products just not rebranding and 10x price. They look really high quality.
    If was look like a duck doesn't mean it a duck. Quality control costs money and that's the first thing they cut. Also it you looked close it's not the same and uses different raw materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    Are these components really tested and used in the XC weight weenie world? Currently, I am mainly only interested in the bars as I am looking to move to a flat bar, but I am concerned of the durability with these things only being less than $30? That'd save 80 grams over my current bars. I am 170lb or lower depending on day
    Some people do. Depends how challenging your tails are, how much you weigh and how much you value you teeth. There is zero testing or QC done on those bars.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I also recommend the Kalloy Uno stem. I have used them for years.

Never trust a fart
    I may try a carbon seat post. I want to move my Cannondale Save post to my road bike, and this would be a good replacement for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    If was look like a duck doesn't mean it a duck. Quality control costs money and that's the first thing they cut. Also it you looked close it's not the same and uses different raw materials.
    Handlebars from Tideace and BXT use T1000 carbon fiber which is strong and has a high tensile modulus compared to T700 or T800 and can be stronger when laid up properly. True, they are not tested to safety standards as far as I am aware. If you really want a premium Chiner bar, I recommend ordering from export companies such as ICAN, TanTan, Hongfu, or Pro-Mance who actually oversee the production and test their bars. They also charge twice as much.

I've been tempted to mock up my own impact testing apparatus, but I'd need to get sponsored by some name brand bar company to just willingly destroy a premium bar for the sake of comparison.

The higher the modulus the stiffer and less tough the material. These components definitely have applications, but I would keep a huge safety margin. The QC issue is the biggest problem, you never known what your going to get.
    Comparing them to companies that spend more money then these cost testing and insuring constant quality is a disservice to everyone reading this.

There are also better Chinese manufactures that while still questionable have a reputation to maintain. Reputation means a lot and having a rotating business churning out parts for a couple months and then disappearing does nothing to instill confident in their product.
    Last edited by alexbn921; 01-04-2019 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Do any of those clamps fit on a 30.0mm tube?
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    I just got this one in the mail yesterday, 30.8mm which fits tight in my 30.9mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bi...72.m2749.l2649

It was a bit fat on the scale at 236g but once I got it on the bike and everything measured out from needed insertion length. I can cut off almost 4.5 inches.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am a fan of budgetlight parts- thumbs up to the OP

Best weight/reliability/price I have found for water bottle cages

https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comp...ck-black-36755
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I bought and installed BXT Carbon bars, Kalloy stem and that carbon 140g seatpost. Will report if anything goes wrong.

Do you have an Aliexpress link for those grips?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Doesn't really belong in this thread, but a decent compromise on reputable bars that are really light and not insanely expensive are Mt. Zoom. Wait for one of the 15% off days and they're around $100 on Ebay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Here's SDP pedals that are lighter than xtr.

weight: 272g
    price: 30,74€ (about $35) + shipping
    Link: r2-bike

mtbr member

Thanks for sharing, those are light for the price, but with some parts it simply isn't worth cutting costs. IMHO it's worth investing in pedals with great bearings that will be trouble-free for a long time. I have XTR pedals and will upgrade to something lighter after they give (Ti Exustar), but in the meantime they've been brutally abused and still work like champs. I'd probably have gone through three pairs of cheaper SPDs by now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    I am a fan of budgetlight parts- thumbs up to the OP

Best weight/reliability/price I have found for water bottle cages

https://www.bike-discount.de/it/comp...ck-black-36755
    Does this cage grip bottles securely? How fragile is it? I lose bottles on the trail way too often. I'd be better off getting a Mandible and not losing 10 bottles every season, but I don't want to put that kind of money in a stupid bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

It looks pretty similar to Exustar E-PM215.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Does this cage grip bottles securely? How fragile is it? I lose bottles on the trail way too often. I'd be better off getting a Mandible and not losing 10 bottles every season, but I don't want to put that kind of money in a stupid bottle cage.
    I have it on all my bikes (xc and trail) and never broke one or lost a bottle.
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am running the BXT flat bars and riser bars on different rigid bikes. i am about 230lbs and have had no issues. $18 for bars seems too good to be true but these things are amazing. my flat bars are about 125g and risers are 153g. i have had some crashes and lots of really hard front end hits and have not had any issues. I even broke a frame and the bars survived. most important thing is not to over tighten as others have said.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-3K-M...72.m2749.l2649

Also this seat post is amazing. 400mm 31.9 post was right at 150g. it has worked great so far and i sit and power down alot.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...72.m2749.l2649

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Crank brother Candy 1's are not bling or cool but they weigh less than all but the Ti 11's. They can also be had for under $50 and are a great option for weight and functionality.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/collec...oducts/candy-1

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sorry but thought of another one. Salsa makes their Deadbolt UL and they are stocked by JensonsUSA and they run $40 a piece. they have literally every size and thread pitch. they get very close weight wise, to the boutique ones available from R2-bike. If you are in the US this is a nice option since the shipping is much less than from the EU.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Dead...ight-Thru-Axle

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Have you tried the Fabric bottles? I quite like them and it seems like the set up would be fairly light.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Have you tried the Fabric bottles? I quite like them and it seems like the set up would be fairly light.
    Been using the FABRIC bottles for more than two years now. They work flawlessly on my roadbike as well as on the gravel rig. You have to get used to how the bottles attach to the “knobs“, then it’s a no-brainer. Super-light and super clean looking on the frame.

Wouldn‘t recommend them for mtb use though. Too fiddly to get the bottles back onto the knobs in rougher terrain.

mtbr member

Knobs can hardly be seen from only a few metres away.

mtbr member
    That is an interesting concept and it did catch my eye earlier. But it just isn't practical for mountain biking as you point out.

I'll have to try the R2-bike cage suggested above and see if that works well for me.

It's the axle
    I just got this seat post, and would not recommend it. The nuts that the adjuster screws fasten to are part of a crap design. And the tube is quite a bit thinner than the EC90 post I have. Since I'm a lightweight I'm going to use it. But if I were over 140 pounds I'd think twice about it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbon...72.m2749.l2649

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    I just got this seat post, and would not recommend it. The nuts that the adjuster screws fasten to are part of a crap design. And the tube is quite a bit thinner than the EC90 post I have. Since I'm a lightweight I'm going to use it. But if I were over 140 pounds I'd think twice about it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Carbon...72.m2749.l2649
    Hm, that looks very much like the same seatpost I linked to in the initial post. I have 1300 miles of gravel and 250 miles of singletrack on that seatpost with no issues. That said, I'm not looking back from the lighter version I also linked to in the initial post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ordered one of these saddles, ebay is the same price as aliexpress, but: where I live (WA) ebay is now collecting sales tax for all purchases, including out of state and international, not a big expense, but it takes a little off the bargain, it's also irritating when you buy a $1.50 part with $3 shipping and pay tax on the shipping too (yes, I am cheap/'thrifty').

https://www.ebay.com/itm/full-carbon...4c9d%7Ciid%3A1

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by triteacher View Post
    Been using the FABRIC bottles for more than two years now. They work flawlessly on my roadbike as well as on the gravel rig. You have to get used to how the bottles attach to the “knobs“, then it’s a no-brainer. Super-light and super clean looking on the frame.

Wouldn‘t recommend them for mtb use though. Too fiddly to get the bottles back onto the knobs in rougher terrain.
    I use them on my MTB with no problem. Currently using a 750ml on my Niner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How about some WW approved side load bottle cages that work?

Gonna try the Elite Rocko cages.
    Last edited by wfl3; 01-12-2019 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    SEATPOSTS
    I always use off-brand carbon seatposts from AliExpress. They are trouble-free, super-stiff, and affordable. You can get the classic set-back seatpost or a newer and mega-popular "skyline" ultralight model. These seatposts will work just fine with oval carbon saddle rails, despite the fact that manufacturers typically recommend against that. Don't overtighten the bolts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seatpost1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1231669
    Weight: 151g (31.6mm x 400mm), includes all mounting hardware
    Price: $28
    200 mile update on this seatpost, and BEWARE of the skinny Ti bolts. I had the rear bolt snap on my last ride after banging my butt on the front of the saddle. On it's way out, the bolt completely punctured the carbon shell of my saddle. I ended up finishing the "ride" sans-saddle much to the amusement of everyone I passed.

I got wider steel bolts at the hardware store and threaded the alloy bar that runs through the seat post. Ti isn't worth 5 grams of weight savings in this case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I tried a lot of ali stuff, so here is short list. i am an xc rider, 190 lbs

Carbon bar. it weighed 111gr is 720 version o_O. it did not broke, but i found it totally unreliable cause if wass too flexy. https://goo.gl/DACsLo

Avid fake rotors. Going strong, no problems on hard on brakes descnts. They cost only 5 usd\pair, you can swap them once a year. Note that i am not using bolts that came with rotors. https://goo.gl/5h8odC

It's the axle
    This just arrived, and it's gorgeous. I haven't ridden with it yet, but clearly the bottle isn't going anywhere. I was shocked at the quality of this thing. I didn't want to spend $20 on a cage, but it was the only lefty I could find.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-right-...72.m2749.l2649

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I just received some of those Chinese rotors (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/68g-...878710242.html). Haven't installed them yet, but they look good. For the record, one of them was 71g and the other 77g, so marginally heavier than advertised.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I've used a hylix post, now $56.00, and I've beaten on it for half a decade if not longer. It's the same design as others that has been posted above. I've been in other races where seat posts have snapped, but this one is going strong. Hardtail 29er 30.9

mtbr member
    I just got my BXT carbon bars in and they look THIN! They are light but dont give me a warm fuzzy feeling compared to the thickness of Renthals..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the list sissypants.

Am building up a WW Ripcord for my kid (she is easy on parts) and your list is helpful.

The bike weighed 29.5# stock and looks like I'll be 23# on the dot once completed.

mtbr member
    The bike weighed 29.5# stock and looks like I'll be 23# on the dot once completed.
    That's some serious weight savings! What are you doing about rims and tires?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's some serious weight savings! What are you doing about rims and tires?
    I can not take 90% of the credit.

The previous owner dropped it to 23.6# with a wheel swap to Stans Crest with some good hubs and Rocket Ron tires, lightweight short cranks, and an entire replacement fork, the Reba. Which is why I bought this particular bike. The OEM parts are anvils!

I have some old magnesium Crampon flat pedals, a Specialized Power Pro CF seat, and a Wren 40mm on the shelf. Plus I'll buy some CF bars, CF seat post, and maybe some light rotors. Hoping these changes get me down around 23#.

Don't really see where else I can get any more weight out of it at a reasonable cost.

The frame and shock alone on the Ripcord weigh 5.4#s so that's the big hindrance. The CF Alibaba HT I almost purchased to build instead weighs 2.3# so that's 2.9# I'm never getting back!

Still a 23# FS bike, is only about .5# heavier than a Trailcraft Pineridge HT for instance. It's a darn good weight in the kid's bike segment. My daughter's current 20" Cannondale with no gears, no front brakes, and no suspension weighs 23.5#! A used Specialized Hotrock 24" HT I bought her weighs right at 30#s. It's a WW's nightmare! My 160mm travel L enduro sled with tire noodles is at 28.2# for gosh sakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I just got my BXT carbon bars in and they look THIN! They are light but dont give me a warm fuzzy feeling compared to the thickness of Renthals..
    I've got about 10 hours on my bxt riser bars (recent Dr appt put me above 180#, - I thought I was lighter), - they are so much stiffer than my ancient Syncros, I did not think I would notice but it's very obvious, I think the old 25.4 clamp synchros were super flexy. These bars are on my shed/trainer bike, and it's cold right and my shock locks in cold.
    I have been extra careful to not over-tighten the stem clamp, and I did install with carbon assembly paste; the bars rotated just a little on me the other day, and I found 2 of my stem clamp bolts were almost finger-tight loose, the other two just a little tighter, - it doesn't take much to clamp riser bars, flat bars should take even less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I've got about 10 hours on my bxt riser bars (recent Dr appt put me above 180#, - I thought I was lighter), - they are so much stiffer than my ancient Syncros, I did not think I would notice but it's very obvious, I think the old 25.4 clamp synchros were super flexy. These bars are on my shed/trainer bike, and it's cold right and my shock locks in cold.
    I have been extra careful to not over-tighten the stem clamp, and I did install with carbon assembly paste; the bars rotated just a little on me the other day, and I found 2 of my stem clamp bolts were almost finger-tight loose, the other two just a little tighter, - it doesn't take much to clamp riser bars, flat bars should take even less.
    Yeap, I just tightened them enough not to rotate and have been in the trainer ever since. This Saturday its gets a trail day to chase a few PRs and Team Pictures..

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I got one of those alloy seat post clamps off aliexpress. They're actually 14g with the bolt. Still light, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeap, I just tightened them enough not to rotate and have been in the trainer ever since. This Saturday its gets a trail day to chase a few PRs and Team Pictures..
    Post up your results/thoughts!! My BXT flat 720 bars just showed up yesterday! They look fantastic and weighed in at 123g. I'm waiting on the new grips to show up before I install them so it may be a couple weeks before I try mine out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I did a good test-race on my $19.99 carbon saddle, it's got some padding and flex, I really liked it and it held up great (rocky/rooty race on my hardtail). I just ordered 3 more for my other bikes... This one is well worth a try in my opinion. On my buddy's scale it was in the 155-165g range.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/full-carbon...72.m2749.l2649

mtbr member
    I am interested in the integrated handlebars, but am looking for someone that has real world experience with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    I am interested in the integrated handlebars, but am looking for someone that has real world experience with them.
    I look at integrated road bar/stems quite often, but most all have too much drop, since I'm older my neck doesn't deal with drop as well as when I was in my 20s. There is a Tideace I plan to get this spring that looks pretty cool.
    You should try an integrated bar/stem, I think a set from a mfg with a decent reputation would be hard to break. I've got a Toseek fork on my daughters bike, I think they're a real company, - something like this where there's a lot of material.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-3K-m...32dda60e8373b9

mtbr member
    I've ordered the Airwolf integrated handlebar from AliExpress. I ordered on Feb. 1 but it still hasn't shipped. I'll send them a note and tell them I'm reviewing them on the forums

It may be 1-2 months before I can post up with real feedback. I'm happy with the 80mm -17degree stem option on my current ride so I went ahead with that geometry on a 680mm bar. I'm liking narrower bars recently as I tend to clip trees often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've ordered the Airwolf integrated handlebar from AliExpress. I ordered on Feb. 1 but it still hasn't shipped. I'll send them a note and tell them I'm reviewing them on the forums

It may be 1-2 months before I can post up with real feedback. I'm happy with the 80mm -17degree stem option on my current ride so I went ahead with that geometry on a 680mm bar. I'm liking narrower bars recently as I tend to clip trees often.
    A lot of those guys were on break (Chinese New Year), the place I ordered the saddles from was closed for almost 2 weeks until yesterday. I bet they ship this week.

mtbr member

I will look forward to hearing back with detail. That is the bar I am really interested in. It looks very similar to the Syncros setup that Nino was running on his bike last year. My current setup is 70mm stem with -35degrees and 685mm. The 80/-17/720 is what I would look at going with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    US $29.38 41%OFF | Bicycle Carbon Saddle Full Carbon Fiber Racing Bike Road Bike Front Saddle Bike Spare Parts155mm Lightweight Seat Cushion power
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ARekoGo

Does this have a normal or low rail to saddle height?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Does this have a normal or low rail to saddle height?
    Normal. It was considerably higher than my Spesh power pro saddle. About 4mm of the difference was in the foam, but the rest was just in the rails being further from the base.

mtbr member
    I will look forward to hearing back with detail. That is the bar I am really interested in. It looks very similar to the Syncros setup that Nino was running on his bike last year. My current setup is 70mm stem with -35degrees and 685mm. The 80/-17/720 is what I would look at going with.
    Yep, it's shipped now. I'll update here with first ride impressions once I get it on the bike. I just noticed that they sold almost 50 of these handlebars in the last two weeks

I'm pretty excited about never needing to worry about stem bolts slipping on the handlebar again. I've always tightened them just enough and sometimes they'd come a little loose. Hopefully this bar does the trick!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    I got one of those alloy seat post clamps off aliexpress. They're actually 14g with the bolt. Still light, I guess.
    Thanks, I've updated the listing with your weight. Why bother with alloy then, the carbon ones work great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    Post up your results/thoughts!! My BXT flat 720 bars just showed up yesterday! They look fantastic and weighed in at 123g. I'm waiting on the new grips to show up before I install them so it may be a couple weeks before I try mine out.
    I rode pretty hard and set some huge course PR's racing this weekend , even ate it and cartwheeled and they held up... No complaints from me. Two thumbs up!

I think what worked well for the tightening of the bars and anti slip was they have a slight sandpaper texture in the center where the stem is, worked great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks, I've updated the listing with your weight. Why bother with alloy then, the carbon ones work great.
    Depends on whether you want pretty colors!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Yes, mine just came in, 11 gram clamp 4 gram clamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Weight Weenie Components under -4g.jpg  

Best Weight Weenie Components under -11g.jpg  

Never trust a fart
    Picked up a new seat post and saddle that sissypants recommended. The seat post is very nice. Just waiting on the padded saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amer_ua View Post
    Carbon bar. it weighed 111gr is 720 version o_O. it did not broke, but i found it totally unreliable cause if wass too flexy. https://goo.gl/DACsLo
    That's awesome! I have a rigid 2007 Raleigh XXIX that those bars sound perfect for. I converted it down to 25.4 Monkeylite bars for more flex cause the stock OS bars beat my wrists up but they're only 650 wide and little or no selection of wider bars @ 25.4 (that I know of). Will even save a few more grams.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Normal. It was considerably higher than my Spesh power pro saddle. About 4mm of the difference was in the foam, but the rest was just in the rails being further from the base.

Thanks! Guess Ill stick to my Spec Romin, I need a low profile seat that's 155mm.

Maromero
    Yes, mine just came in, 11 gram clamp 4 gram clamp.
    Mt. Zoom is a lighter option, not so expensive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Weight Weenie Components under -seatclamp-mtzoom.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Do any of these inexpensive integrated handlebar/ stem setups have a 50mm stem length? Maybe a 60, but definitely not a 70 or longer.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Do any of these inexpensive integrated handlebar/ stem setups have a 50mm stem length? Maybe a 60, but definitely not a 70 or longer.

Thanks.
    No, not that I've seen, and I've looked.

Thought about opening a mold for that, with -7 degree rise instead of -17. Maybe that would be a good kickstarter campaign. I'm guessing the mold would be between $800-$1000.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just bought the imitation Ashima 160mm rotors off Alibaba for my kid's 24" bike. A pair shipped for $9.66. Sheesh that's cheap.
    Turns out this thread has been pretty darn useful for me and i'm sporting several products from it across 3 bikes now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just bought the imitation Ashima 160mm rotors off Alibaba for my kid's 24" bike. A pair shipped for $9.66. Sheesh that's cheap.
    Turns out this thread has been pretty darn useful for me and i'm sporting several products from it across 3 bikes now.

Link?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Link?
    Post #1 of this thread near the bottom (of the post).

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    cheapest version of TMARS dropper is just 6 and 8 usd over 50, but still great thing to buy

got them on all my mtb. one of them is more than 2 yeasr old. boot is damaged, got play, but works even in -10C

27.2 version https://goo.gl/2koBnN
    31.6 version https://goo.gl/giEhZT

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Post #1 of this thread near the bottom (of the post).

Good luck.

Thanks, missed that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any good sources for seatpost clamps to fit these carbon rail saddles?

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Any good sources for seatpost clamps to fit these carbon rail saddles?

I'm using the seat post that the OP mentioned in his post. Carbon rail saddle fits perfectly.

mtbr member
    I will look forward to hearing back with detail. That is the bar I am really interested in. It looks very similar to the Syncros setup that Nino was running on his bike last year.
    The details on the integrated handlebar are here: https://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weeni...s-1099619.html

I did a quick spin up some hills today and torqued the bars every which way and they are strong as a rock. All positive impressions so far.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_5697-copy.jpg
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

mtbr member
    Any more photos you can share of different angles? How long was it from ordering to receipt?

The details on the integrated handlebar are here: https://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weeni...s-1099619.html

I did a quick spin up some hills today and torqued the bars every which way and they are strong as a rock. All positive impressions so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5697 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	1242042

mtbr member
    Any more photos you can share of different angles? How long was it from ordering to receipt?
    Have you seen my review that I linked? There are many more photos there.

Just under 5 weeks from payment to delivery. So pretty slow. But I did order before the Chinese New Year holidays.

mtbr member
    Yes, clicked that link after replying. My bad.

Just under 5 weeks from payment to delivery. So pretty slow. But I did order before the Chinese New Year holidays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

That makes me feel better because I've been waiting about 5 weeks for several orders from alibaba.

Ty
    mtbr member
    CHAIN
    Of the 11-speed chains, PYC SP1101 is the lightest and cheapest and still strong enough to rival any other manufacturer's high-end models.

Weight: 225g (116 links)
    Price: $32

Great list, and thanks for the links too !

Just for the record, my PYC SP1101 (116 links uncut) came out at 249.4g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Great list, and thanks for the links too !

Just for the record, my PYC SP1101 (116 links uncut) came out at 249.4g.
    Really! Mine was 227g at 116 links. I'd be very surprised if tolerances on a chain are that broad.

Ty
    mtbr member
    Really! Mine was 227g at 116 links. I'd be very surprised if tolerances on a chain are that broad.

Just checked . . . and . . . whoops! My bad, you are right !

I've actually got the PYC SP1001 and not the PYC SP1101 . . . so the 10 speed version rather than the 11 speed version.

So for anyone who wants to know the PYC SP1001 (PYC Hollow Link Chain 10 Speed - Silver / 10 Speed / 116L) comes in at 249.4g.

Also I just ordered the Rockbros carbon saddle you listed, so once again thanks for the links !

Not a role model
    Best press for "Aliexpress handlebars" from German mag.

https://www.bike-magazin.de/komponen...st/a40729.html

https://i.imgur.com/2yxXjCG.png (results for multi-load test of handlebars the same test they did 4 years ago)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Best press for "Aliexpress handlebars" from German mag.

https://www.bike-magazin.de/komponen...st/a40729.html

https://i.imgur.com/2yxXjCG.png (results for multi-load test of handlebars the same test they did 4 years ago)
    Thanks for sharing this link! I am very excited to see someone willing to test these bars together with other manufacturers. For those who don't understand German, the article you linked says they tested one 20 euro AliExpress bar and it performed very poorly in their results, with a picture of it cracked. They provided no numbers on break point, and unfortunately, they did not indicate which AliExpress handlebar they tested, and they only tested a single bar.

Beware, there is a HUGE spectrum of quality among AliExpress handlebars. I have owned more than 10 different AliExpress bars personally, broke 2, and stopped riding 2 more. Some are plasticky junk, others are strong as a rock.

You cannot generalize one result to all factories, that's like testing an Enve bar and generalizing the result to all North American-made carbon bars.

I don't expect AliExpress bars to perform like a Syntace bar, but I don't expect them all to "fail" this magazine's test either. You can also get 10 of these bars for the price of a single Syntace bar.

Here are some bars that are STRONG, in my experience:
    1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/bran...654860885.html
    2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...563173048.html
    3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mani...858526315.html

Here are some bars that are JUNK, in my experience:
    1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full...505394940.html
    2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3k-c...949446067.html
    3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...038500736.html

X83
    mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for sharing this link! I am very excited to see someone willing to test these bars together with other manufacturers. For those who don't understand German, the article you linked says they tested one 20 euro AliExpress bar and it performed very poorly in their results, with a picture of it cracked. They provided no numbers on break point, and unfortunately, they did not indicate which AliExpress handlebar they tested, and they only tested a single bar.

Beware, there is a HUGE spectrum of quality among AliExpress handlebars. I have owned more than 10 different AliExpress bars personally, broke 2, and stopped riding 2 more. Some are plasticky junk, others are strong as a rock.

You cannot generalize one result to all factories, that's like testing an Enve bar and generalizing the result to all North American-made carbon bars.

I don't expect AliExpress bars to perform like a Syntace bar, but I don't expect them all to "fail" this magazine's test either. You can also get 10 of these bars for the price of a single Syntace bar.

Here are some bars that are STRONG, in my experience:
    1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/bran...654860885.html
    2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...563173048.html
    3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mani...858526315.html

Here are some bars that are JUNK, in my experience:
    1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full...505394940.html
    2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3k-c...949446067.html
    3. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...038500736.html
    I had a issue with the second strong bar on your list because the centering bulls eye grip area is 9mm off center and it seems to be a manufacturing defect from the factory.

I've been using the third strong bar on your list which have the integrated stem and they seem to be great at the moment. They can also be mounted upside down for 17-degree up stem angle but the bars will have a 3-degree downsweep in this position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The combo stem handlebar, is there one that is a max of a 60 mm stem? I could use that for my wife's bike, I can't believe they have 110 millimeter equivalent stems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The shipping times from AliExpress are REALLY long these days. The few times I used them in the past it wasn't too bad but I've been waiting on a CF seatpost that I genuinely need to complete my kids bike for 59 days so far. I have 2 other items that are similarly taking a long time, and 1 item arrived in 3 weeks with no issues.

My advise, if timing is at all a concern, order from ebay.

I actually have 2 identical 135 gram 31.6 gram seatposts coming from China currently and only need one, so if I actually get both I'll post one 1 for sale here for someone that prefers not to wait until next season.

mtbr member
    The shipping times from AliExpress are REALLY long these days. The few times I used them in the past it wasn't too bad but I've been waiting on a CF seatpost that I genuinely need to complete my kids bike for 59 days so far. I have 2 other items that are similarly taking a long time, and 1 item arrived in 3 weeks with no issues.

My advise, if timing is at all a concern, order from ebay.

I actually have 2 identical 135 gram 31.6 gram seatposts coming from China currently and only need one, so if I actually get both I'll post one 1 for sale here for someone that prefers not to wait until next season.
    I ordered about 10 carbon bike items from different sellers on AliExpress almost exactly 1 month ago and they have all come in within 5 days of each other, everything is here. In that order also was a 135 gram 31.6 seatpost (the ultralight one mentioned in the first post). Normal shipping time. Nothing unusual.

Sellers from China who sell on AliExpress often also sell on eBay, could be you're looking at the same seller. Pay just a bit more and get it from those American folks who stock inventory and sell it for 20-100% more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I ordered about 10 carbon bike items from different sellers on AliExpress almost exactly 1 month ago and they have all come in within 5 days of each other, everything is here. In that order also was a 135 gram 31.6 seatpost (the ultralight one mentioned in the first post). Normal shipping time. Nothing unusual.

Sellers from China who sell on AliExpress often also sell on eBay, could be you're looking at the same seller. Pay just a bit more and get it from those American folks who stock inventory and sell it for 20-100% more.
    Don't know what the heck I did to get shafted!

Rotors came in within about 3 weeks. 1st seat post is 2 months out, back up is 3 weeks out. A seat is 6 weeks out and a scale is about 4 weeks at this time since order.

I built a WW 24" Ripcord for my 7 year old's birthday party and it's been running a 175mm dropper post slammed all of the way down for a month now which as a WW is killing me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    About a week and a half ago I got an email notification that a different seat I ordered from some random ebay china seller had been delivered (one of those that looks like a san marco), - nothing on the porch, I still have hope that it's floating around out there somewhere and will show up.
    I've been liking those other seats so much (that I posted about above) that I ordered two more, those have been a lot slower to arrive than the previous ones I had ordered. I had recommended one to a guy a race with, his showed up in just under 3 weeks, -he's going to order another too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast