Best Weight Weenie Components under $50 - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    This is horrifying.

Its not that we think *maybe* the cheap carbon bars *might* break. Its that they've been breaking for years now, left and right, for SO many people. Including very light people riding pretty mild trails. Or road. Sometimes they're broken right out of the box (soft spots, missing epoxy).

Everyone has the 230lb neighbors friends uncles cousins husband who won 10 enduro races on $20 120g chinese carbon bars. Ignore those. There are hoards of actual people who personally broke chinese carbon bars and have posted them on mtbr over the years.

If anything happens, you have zero recourse with a chinese company. At best, you'll get a free set of bars that will break again.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm honestly losing trust in Alibaba.
    I have 3 orders outstanding the oldest over 60 days now, and they won't let me file a dispute even though I'm at the time line they tell you to file a dispute by or it's too late, and I don't have the product.
    All 3 products show to still be in China.
    I remember reading a blurb in the news that Donald Trump had issued an executive order for the US to discontinue subsidizing Chinese shipping charges and I'm wondering if that's affecting shipment of things from China.
    Also, I'd use Chinese bars on my 7 year old's bike, but not on any others. Someone losing all of there teeth, or worse, isn't worth the cost savings.
    Unless things change here in the next week I'll be doing all my further orders through eBay or Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    This is horrifying.

Its not that we think *maybe* the cheap carbon bars *might* break. Its that they've been breaking for years now, left and right, for SO many people. Including very light people riding pretty mild trails. Or road. Sometimes they're broken right out of the box (soft spots, missing epoxy).

Everyone has the 230lb neighbors friends uncles cousins husband who won 10 enduro races on $20 120g chinese carbon bars. Ignore those. There are hoards of actual people who personally broke chinese carbon bars and have posted them on mtbr over the years.

If anything happens, you have zero recourse with a chinese company. At best, you'll get a free set of bars that will break again.

Good luck.
    Some break, but personally I want a light carbon bar and I'm just not buying a Schmolke or an Enve.

There are people who can't justify blowing $150-$600 on a carbon bar, and so it's a game of risk vs. reward. For me, it's worth it. For you, apparently not.

I have several china bars that have never broken, despite a lot of abuse, I don't see why I need to slam all bars because some break. I don't expect that people don't take your advice to ignore me.
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't think it's fair to compare 'cheap' carbon parts from even 2 or 3 years ago with current production. I've probably got 30 training hours on my BXT riser bars with zero issues. When I've been googling reviews of mtb or road bars, I don't look too closely at any reviews older than 2018, I think current production from a known mfg is generally much improved over a few years ago. I put the bxt bars on replacing some old smaller diameter real (old) Synchros, - old aluminum bars make me a bit nervous, the only bars I've broken were oem Cannondale aluminum (fatigue crack right next to the clamp).
    I wonder how many of the failed carbon bars were older smaller diameter? (and/or over-tightened). I've got some genuine (or so I think) Sworks 1" carbon flat bars on my daughters bike, she's little so I think they're fine, but I wouldn't trust those for me or my larger son.
    When I did some googling re broken carbon bars I didn't find many recent reports.

But; I recommended one of those seats I've been using (now on both my race bikes) to another guy I race with after his other saddle broke a few weeks ago, - his new seat rails broke during lap2 yesterday, and he had to dnf, he had installed it just about 2 weeks ago. I've got 3 races a couple of other rides on both of mine, so hopefully my luck will continue; cheap/comfy/light, - what more could I want except reliability. We'll see.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I purchased one of the 135g carbon fiber seat post shown in post #1 off the Alibaba website from a company called "Carbon Bicycles Store" 70 days ago now. It was last scanned in China in mid February. The vendor (Chinese Bicycles Store) refuses to refund my money and told me to contact the Chinese Logistics company and have been fighting my dispute with Aliexpress for a refund. They also are making it where my time to dispute runs out.

I ordered the identical product from an ebay store for like $1.50 more and it arrived in 20 days with a nice note to contact them with any issues and a cool little keychain to boot.

I'm a bit reluctant to order from AliExpress moving forward but at a minimum I want to warn you guys to not order product from Carbon Bicycles Store. I'm sure most orders go fine, but when they don't, this company is going to screw you.

Frankly I'd never use this particular CF seat post on an adults bikes as it's pretty hokey, but it's great for my 7 year old's bike

PS. Got my kids Ripcord to 22.1# which is insanely light for this type of bicycle with assistance from this thread. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Similar experience to Suns_PSD with Aliexpress. If the seller screws up they differ you to the Resolution center which tells you they will help you get get it sorted, but they just keep sending you in circles never getting a refund or correct product sent - very shady.
    I had an issue where the seller sent me the wrong frame and could not get the correct frame or refund dealing with them for months. Just know there is a gamble getting parts for dirt cheap- you may never see your cash or parts ordered. That said I have done dozens of orders with Ali over the years having to do new bike builds for my kids as they have grown and 95% of my orders have gone great.

mtbr member
    I bought my BXT bars off ebay for 19.99 shipped, took a while but they showed up, I tightened them correctly...ZERO issues. I had had one big crash where I clipped a tree with my handlebar in a 40 mph downhill run. Still zero issues..
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Picked up the "San Marco" saddle for ~$24. Some listings will show this saddle with no Sam Marco writing. I would message them and double check since the no logo saddles is the one I bought. When I received it...it has SM logos all over. Still a pretty nice saddle. The carbon looks pretty nice and is rather comfortable. I do like the sloping sides.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_1373.jpg

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_1374.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ordered one of those 'san marco' saddles off ebay about 2 months ago, about 2 weeks ago I got an email that it had been delivered, but nothing on the porch, - still waiting, good thing they're cheap! "this user is no longer registered on ebay", -oops!, looks like I got ripped off! - Pay attention to feedback and number of items sold rather than just going with the lowest price.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    ^^Whoa...that sucks. Hopefully eBay or Paypal can do something for you.

I ordered mine on Aliexpress. Got it in around two weeks. Some vendors are slow to ship...but so far...I've had no issues with my parts or shipping. I recently ordered a bushing extractor for my rear shock. It took some time...but they finally shipped it. I also ordered a carbon bar...it took a month to get to me...but I got it.

mtbr member
    I came across this. Bolt thru axle for a Rockshox fork. 10 bucks. The Maxle Stealth sells for around 35.. Pretty good way to drop weight off the fork.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moun...AbTest=ae803_5

For Fox

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicy...AbTest=ae803_5

monster member
    Interesting read that makes me feel good for never having bought anything through alibaba or aliexpress.

https://investorplace.com/2018/09/3-...alibaba-stock/

- cheating business practices
    - stores make hundreds of sites so they can close one or several any time
    - purchase good reviews that quickly accumulate in a matter of days so it appears to have a good history
    - counterfeit haven
    etc.

I didn't fact-check everything, and the writer did have an air of being biased, but I do tend to believe the points I broke out above.

As Suns_PSD mentioned, at least buy your blackmarket stuff off a reputable place for a very small amount extra instead of through a shady selling-company. You can gauge your risk on whether you want to buy a shady product, but then you take a whole other risk of even getting that product if you use a shady seller.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Interesting read that makes me feel good for never having bought anything through alibaba or aliexpress.

https://investorplace.com/2018/09/3-...alibaba-stock/

- cheating business practices
    - stores make hundreds of sites so they can close one or several any time
    - purchase good reviews that quickly accumulate in a matter of days so it appears to have a good history
    - counterfeit haven
    etc.

I didn't fact-check everything, and the writer did have an air of being biased, but I do tend to believe the points I broke out above.

As Suns_PSD mentioned, at least buy your blackmarket stuff off a reputable place for a very small amount extra instead of through a shady selling-company. You can gauge your risk on whether you want to buy a shady product, but then you take a whole other risk of even getting that product if you use a shady seller.
    There is too much of that going on within AliExpress. Unfortunately, the way that site is designed it's all-too-easy to rig the system or treat customers unfairly.

That said, the products discussed on this thread are not "gray market". It's not fair to stereotype all AliExpress products or sellers because of sinners anonymous. Part of the whole point of this thread is to help sort out worthwhile products based on personal experience. Products in this thread are also listed on eBay and Amazon by other sellers because they are mass-produced by a single factory. The factory posts an ad on Alibaba or other internal market sites, and whatever distributor wants to mass import/export them, can do that.

In the case of extremely popular products and established sellers on AliExpress, I see no reason to complain unless they decide to suddenly start trashing their customers. Sometimes ordering from AliExpress is easier than ordering from Alibaba, cheaper than ordering from Amazon and eBay, and in the end, just as fast of shipping (or slow).
    Follow me on Strava, Instagram @therealsissypants, and Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I came across this. Bolt thru axle for a Rockshox fork. 10 bucks. The Maxle Stealth sells for around 35.. Pretty good way to drop weight off the fork.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moun...AbTest=ae803_5

For Fox

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicy...AbTest=ae803_5
    Great! Tried to look for those in the past and never found anything for less than 25-30$. No boost on the Rockshox and no measurements on the Fox version*, but I believe they will add more items soon.
    Thanks for sharing

*edit - measurements (15x100) laser etched on the axle
    flyMTBfish

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    This is horrifying.

Good luck.
    I have 8 years on a chinese bar. It wasn't a $20 120 gram bar, but nevertheless it wasn't easton either. There are some good products if you research them first. Hylix makes some solid items.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I bought my BXT bars off ebay for 19.99 shipped, took a while but they showed up, I tightened them correctly...ZERO issues. I had had one big crash where I clipped a tree with my handlebar in a 40 mph downhill run. Still zero issues..
    I have two of these BXT flat bars, about 135g each, that work well. The 2019 models are like $40 and 110g, which is too light and expensive for me to try!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I have two of these BXT flat bars, about 135g each, that work well. The 2019 models are like $40 and 110g, which is too light and expensive for me to try!
    And they have finally increased the backsweep.
    I changed my 2018 BXT for a Tharsis XC from Pro/Shimano due to higher backsweep and rise.
    Wish I knew they had these 2019 models earlier.

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    There is too much of that going on within AliExpress. Unfortunately, the way that site is designed it's all-too-easy to rig the system or treat customers unfairly.

That said, the products discussed on this thread are not "gray market". It's not fair to stereotype all AliExpress products or sellers because of sinners anonymous. Part of the whole point of this thread is to help sort out worthwhile products based on personal experience. Products in this thread are also listed on eBay and Amazon by other sellers because they are mass-produced by a single factory. The factory posts an ad on Alibaba or other internal market sites, and whatever distributor wants to mass import/export them, can do that.

In the case of extremely popular products and established sellers on AliExpress, I see no reason to complain unless they decide to suddenly start trashing their customers. Sometimes ordering from AliExpress is easier than ordering from Alibaba, cheaper than ordering from Amazon and eBay, and in the end, just as fast of shipping (or slow).
    Anything sold without a brand name is shady. Or sold as not having a brand name. I posted the article after reading several complaints about a product not showing up and not having any way to pursue the money back. My post was sharing that information about many unethical business practices being reported about alibaba, and warning people about buying through places in which you might not get your item is part of what this thread is about. If you must buy something like that, at least buy it through ebay or Amazon.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    I've ordered all kinds of stuff from Aliexpress. From key fob covers to mobile phones to random bolts...so far I've received everything I've ordered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ordered an Alibaba CF seatpost on 2-5-19. Never received. Tracking shows it never left China. Alibaba still fighting me. I also received a call in Mandarin/ Chinese or something a few days ago. I made out the sounds 'DHL' in there but just hung up.

I since ordered the same part from ebay and had it in my hands in days for about $1.75 extra.

I'll ALWAYS search ebay before ordering any of my cheap MTB parts and try to go through that channel first. The cost difference is super minimal, if at all, and I have a channel for customer service.

However, I'd still order sub $35 parts through Alibaba when they are my only source. I do love the 2 EC90 seats I've ordered from Alibaba. That said, I will no longer consider CF frames and other more expensive items from Alibaba. Not worth the risk and trouble. If you ordered a frame, waiting an entire season to receive it, and it was poorly aligned or something you would be screwed.

~ take care

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Found Rock Shox axle for just 10USD

Have anyone tried?
    Last edited by amer_ua; 1 Week Ago at 01:27 AM.

mtbr member
    In Canada both ebay.ca and amazon.ca change a massive premium over aliexpress, typically at least 2.5X, and shipping is sometimes on top of that.

I've probably ordered about 100 different things from ali, mostly odd-sized bolts and some non-structural carbon bits, and I've only ever not gotten one thing (a $3 CPU fan)
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Not a weight weenie component...but I've had this for a while. Got it for ~$10. Ordered a needle bearing kit for my Following and I'll get a chance to use it. Looks nice...and it does feel pretty light.

Best Weight Weenie Components under -img_1421.jpg

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Not a weight weenie component...but I've had this for a while. Got it for ~$10. Ordered a needle bearing kit for my Following and I'll get a chance to use it. Looks nice...and it does feel pretty light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	1250654
    I need that for bb92 and trek bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Anything sold without a brand name is shady. Or sold as not having a brand name. I posted the article after reading several complaints about a product not showing up and not having any way to pursue the money back. My post was sharing that information about many unethical business practices being reported about alibaba, and warning people about buying through places in which you might not get your item is part of what this thread is about. If you must buy something like that, at least buy it through ebay or Amazon.
    I have bought a few things off Aliexpress (not bike related). The important thing is to research the seller.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12